Well?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unless you have a 5" barrel in it
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not unless you have a 5" barrel in it

Yeah, I seen that in the rules.  What do you recommend?  KKM.....

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Having hunted a fair amount of game with a handgun from varmints to almost big game( Black Bear). For Ohio deer, I'd pick Ruger Super Red hawk in 454 / 45long colt. You can go open sights or red dot or scope. The 45 Long Colt will do a good job, The 454 will do a GREAT job. Now with that being said. I have killed deer,wild hog, And even seen a mountain lion in MT. with a 357 Mag. I use the 180gr bullets in the 357, Just to give it that extra up close thump.

Maybe even some day Ohio will let me use my 45 or 357 lever action carbine. But that's another thread for another day.

* All posted above is IMHO*
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
what about mag capacity?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess my topic should have been.... "Do You Use a GLOCK 20 to Hunt Deer in Ohio" ..... if so, then what have you done to your pistol to make it legal aka. 5" barrel...etc....
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess my topic should have been.... "Do You Use a GLOCK 20 to Hunt Deer in Ohio" ..... if so, then what have you done to your pistol to make it legal aka. 5" barrel...etc....

I think the only modification should be the barrel. However I think the hunting regulations have a different way of measuring barrel length than ATF/everyone else, because I don't believe a stock 1911 full-size is considered legal either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what about mag capacity?

Doesn't matter on a handgun - bring out your 30 rounders
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
DT
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Doesn't matter on a handgun - bring out your 30 rounders

Please don't give anyone any idea's.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think AJE shot one last year using a G20 with an extended barrel

It was a couple of years ago, but yes I did.

I have Lone Wolf's 6" slide with a KKM barrel.

10mm works pretty well.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think the only modification should be the barrel. However I think the hunting regulations have a different way of measuring barrel length than ATF/everyone else, because I don't believe a stock 1911 full-size is considered legal either.

According to the Ohio Administrative Code 1501:31-15-11 Deer Regulations, paragraph C.2.a.iii.c states "Single barrel not less than five inches in length, as measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel."

Last year I took 2 deer with a "ODNR Legal" 1911 (5" barreled) 10mm Dan Wesson Sportsman, using Double Tap 180 gr, JHP.

Your G20 5+ inch (legal) barrel w/good ammo is more than sufficient with you doing your part, enjoy the hunt!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the Ohio Administrative Code 1501:31-15-11 Deer Regulations, paragraph C.2.a.iii.c states "Single barrel not less than five inches in length, as measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel."

Last year I took 2 deer with a "ODNR Legal" 1911 (5" barreled) 10mm Dan Wesson Sportsman, using Double Tap 180 gr, JHP.

Your G20 5+ inch (legal) barrel w/good ammo is more than sufficient with you doing your part, enjoy the hunt!

Did you do so during shotgun week?

Sorry, I'm still green to hunting (this will be my third season). When can one use a pistol? Does this mean I can carry my 5" STI 1911 (.45ACP) as a side arm this season and take a deer with it?

ETA: Sorry for the thread jack OP.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can only use a pistol / revolver during "shotgun" season.  I talked with the game warden and we got on the topic of using a .45 ACP.  I was surprised to hear it was a legal round.  They consider it a straight wall cartridge even thought there is a slight taper.

I just read this rule:

"Use certain handguns during the youth deer gun season and deer gun season. These handguns must: (a) have a barrel length of not less than 5 inches, (b) use straight-walled cartridges (no shoulder/ neck; straight-tapered wall is acceptable) and (c) be .357 caliber or larger."

So it looks like .45ACp meets the requirements. But, I don't think I can carry both (shotty and 1911). I'd have to carry one or the other; can someone confirm?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#16]
You can carry a ccw, but you can't use the ccw to shoot a deer.   In my opinion, you could ccw the 1911 and carry the shotgun, so long as you don't use the 1911 on a deer, even for a coupe de grace.   You could walk to the truck, put the shotgun down, and then use the 1911 to hunt with, so long as you no longer have the shotgun.

As long as you're not getting creative with it by trying to get away with hunting with both, I don't see you running into problems...  But you know how those ODNR guys get off on writing tickets.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 6" Lonewolf barrel.  That said, I haven't carried it in Ohio. Or even shot at a deer with it either. West Virginia allows carrying of multiple weapons for hunting in addition to a CCW.  So I've swapped between a Redhawk 44 and the G20 along with the rifle of the day.   This might be the year I get to send some 10mm lead at a deer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I am using my G20 this year with a Lone Wolf 6" slide and Storm Lake barrel.  Wish me luck.

Hopefully we have better weather this year, I never got around to building my Ark this summer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
i know a guy that hunts with this.. in a TC

50bmg whisper... ive shot it... you have NO IDEA what the recoil is like..

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the input guys.  I'm still waiting on my Gen 4 G20 from the GSSF.  I'm doubting it will be here in time for this gun season, so I'll probably be taking out old faithful my Rem 11-87 and Sabot slugs.

I have a G21SF.  I may start looking for a 6" barrel for it instead.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the input guys.  I'm still waiting on my Gen 4 G20 from the GSSF.  I'm doubting it will be here in time for this gun season, so I'll probably be taking out old faithful my Rem 11-87 and Sabot slugs.

From what I read, .45ACP does great out to about 40 yards on deer. This is from those who've actually killed several deer using a 5" 1911. Some say Double tap 230gr or 200gr Gold Dots do well.

I'm thinking about running with the 1911 after I get a couple with my shotty - just for fun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i know a guy that hunts with this.. in a TC

50bmg whisper... ive shot it... you have NO IDEA what the recoil is like..

I know a guy who uses a 14" barrel on a contender with the 45-70, but that 50 is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The front of the chamber is the measurement that they use which means a standard 1911 full size is too short. Everyone else measures from the breech face. Yet another dumb Ohio law.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where are you in Ohio?  I'm in Trumbull county, if you're close, I'd let you borrow my Lone Wolf barrel, could help you decide which route your prefer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The front of the chamber is the measurement that they use which means a standard 1911 full size is too short. Everyone else measures from the breech face. Yet another dumb Ohio law.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx#equipment

no semi auto gun is EVER measured from the front of the chamber... if so, every 16" barreled rifle would be a SBR....
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m no attorney and didn’t sleep at Holiday Inn last night,  just was told by the ODNR that I was legal, as I have other legal hunting implements I could use during our Ohio Whitetail season.  This was not my first year at handgun hunting either.

It’s easy to read "into this" and get confused.

"Single barrel not less than five inches in length, as measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel."

Plain & simple:

Revolver; front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel

Semi-Auto; chamber to the end of the barrel - (Just like measuring a shotgun barrel)

Agreed, that those who wrote the laws could have used simpler verbiage for easier clarity.

Again, to the OP get a 5"+ barrel for your G-20, good ammo and have a Great Hunt!
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#27]
From the Ohio DNR deer hunting regs:  I don't see any problem with a 5" or greater G20.  I bought a LWD 5.15" barrel for mine.

Allowable Hunting Equipment

Hunters cannot carry more than one implement while hunting deer. See Concealed Carry information.

Archery Season:Open Statewide

Longbow or Bow: minimum draw weight 40 lbs. This would include compound bows and recurve bows. The arrow tuo shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.

Crossbow: draw weight not less than 75 lbs. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.

Early Muzzleloader Season: Only at Wildcat Hollow, Salt Fork Wildlife Area, & Shawnee State Forest

Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger

Muzzleloading shotgun: 10-gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel

Longbow or Bow: minimum draw weight 40 lbs. This would include compound bows and recurve bows. The arrow tuo shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.

Crossbow: draw weight not less than 75 lbs. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season: Open Statewide

Shotgun: 10-gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition). Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than three shells.

Handgun: with 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.

Muzzleloader Season: Open Statewide

Crossbow: draw weight not less than 75 lbs. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have a hard time in court I would think. Why deviate from widely recognized standards, and federal definitions of what is what?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]

That would have a hard time in court I would think. Why deviate from widely recognized standards, and federal definitions of what is what?

Ahhh, But i can tell you YOU would go to court and at least you would court cost. THIS I'M 100% SURE OF.  I've been down this road twice with the ODNR. I beat them on two case's, in two seprate countys. And had to pay court cost on both case's. 75.00+75.00. Times two.

(75.00 to walk in and pled not guilty and another 75.00 to fight it and win. Same thing with the second case.)
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ahhh, But i can tell you YOU would go to court and at least you would court cost. THIS I'M 100% SURE OF.  I've been down this road twice with the ODNR. I beat them on two case's, in two seprate countys. And had to pay court cost on both case's. 75.00+75.00. Times two.

(75.00 to walk in and pled not guilty and another 75.00 to fight it and win. Same thing with the second case.)

Better than having a game violation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You had to pay court costs even though you were found not guilty?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Yes BOB, Beat them hands down TWICE. In two separate counties 3 years apart. Case #1 Was ticketed hunting past shooting time. Three of us duck hunting. We called out with 2 mins left on shooting time on a GPS,PAGER and a Cell Phone.  All three of us unloaded weapons and NEVER fired a shot. Then the current ASSHOLE ( I hope his soul roots in hell) ODNR warden J Reda In Geauga Co. Cited all three of us for hunting past shooting hrs. We beat him in court when not even the Judge, Clerk of Courts and Game Warden could match a watch or time telling device with 90 sec of each other. His only statement was that he new we where close, but couldn't be sure,because he was trying to make sure no one was going to blind side him from behind as he had us at gun point. Until he had our UNLOADED weapons in a HARD CASE in his vehicle.

Yes Jay died of cancer last yr. And I hope it was painful.

Case #2. SAME ASHHOLE game warden. Two yrs later, finds a one (1) 20 ga. 2 3/4in. #8 lead shot round lying UNDER the outside of our Goose blind over looking a field that we hunted Doves, Duck,Geese,DEER and everything else from.  Now there are three of us in the blind, 2 of us using BPS-10 ga's. And the third using a 3.5 inch 12 ga. Not even a 20 ga. to be seen for miles. Let alone the fact that it was the guy with the 12 ga. son that spilled a box of shells 13 months prior when Dove hunting. And the round was VERRY rusty and weathered.

So after searching all of us,And our trucks. ASS WHIPE decides since none of us have a 20 ga. That he's going to write all three ( YES I SAID ALL 3 ) of us tickets for hunting waterfowl with lead shot.

So this was in Lake Co. So I was talking to a friend that's a lawer, And happen to be a DU member and HATED said ASSHOLE WARDEN. So he wanted to make this a land mark case. And BOY did he ever, Even made the "What was he thinking" story at the Nat. DU Conv.

But to save face again. Sorry guys, But there's this little thing called court cost.........

Thus the reason I DON"T hunt anything in the state of Ohio unless its on my own land. The ODNR will never get another hunting lic fee from me.

It only took two years for him to pass from cancer. To bad it was so quick.......................................
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yes BOB, Beat them hands down TWICE. In two separate counties 3 years apart. Case #1 Was ticketed hunting past shooting time. Three of us duck hunting. We called out with 2 mins left on shooting time on a GPS,PAGER and a Cell Phone.  All three of us unloaded weapons and NEVER fired a shot. Then the current ASSHOLE ( I hope his soul roots in hell) ODNR warden J Reda In Geauga Co. Cited all three of us for hunting past shooting hrs. We beat him in court when not even the Judge, Clerk of Courts and Game Warden could match a watch or time telling device with 90 sec of each other. His only statement was that he new we where close, but couldn't be sure,because he was trying to make sure no one was going to blind side him from behind as he had us at gun point. Until he had our UNLOADED weapons in a HARD CASE in his vehicle.

Yes Jay died of cancer last yr. And I hope it was painful.

Case #2. SAME ASHHOLE game warden. Two yrs later, finds a one (1) 20 ga. 2 3/4in. #8 lead shot round lying UNDER the outside of our Goose blind over looking a field that we hunted Doves, Duck,Geese,DEER and everything else from.  Now there are three of us in the blind, 2 of us using BPS-10 ga's. And the third using a 3.5 inch 12 ga. Not even a 20 ga. to be seen for miles. Let alone the fact that it was the guy with the 12 ga. son that spilled a box of shells 13 months prior when Dove hunting. And the round was VERRY rusty and weathered.

So after searching all of us,And our trucks. ASS WHIPE decides since none of us have a 20 ga. That he's going to write all three ( YES I SAID ALL 3 ) of us tickets for hunting waterfowl with lead shot.

So this was in Lake Co. So I was talking to a friend that's a lawer, And happen to be a DU member and HATED said ASSHOLE WARDEN. So he wanted to make this a land mark case. And BOY did he ever, Even made the "What was he thinking" story at the Nat. DU Conv.

But to save face again. Sorry guys, But there's this little thing called court cost.........

Thus the reason I DON"T hunt anything in the state of Ohio unless its on my own land. The ODNR will never get another hunting lic fee from me.

It only took two years for him to pass from cancer. To bad it was so quick.......................................

The game warden does sound like an asshole but I was shocked at winning and paying court costs

I went to trial in 1997, was found not guilty and didn't have to pay a dime for anything, maybe they charge winners now but i didn't pay any court costs in 1997 that's why I was surprised

We have a new game warden and I have no idea if he is an asshole or not?

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top