Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2005 9:09:09 PM EDT
I just picked up an Oly 9mm upper yesterday and was itching to shoot it.  I loaded up the boy, some sten mags and a few ARs and headed out to GF.  GF is about 10-15 minutes from my house in Lake Stevens.

I arrived at the pit and there were a few folks shooting (1 AR, 1 AK, 1 CETME and a Marlin 22).  I moved to the shade in the center of the usual area and proceeded to lay out the lawn chairs, brass tarp, weapons, firing line, etc.

Guys on left were bump firing brass right onto our area so bad I actually had it hitting me in the head.  No worries, shit happens......they saw what was happening and it stopped for about 10 minutes.  After talking with them for a few minutes, they appeared somewhat normal.  

About 30 minutes later as I'm giving my 11yo son some instruction, one of the guy on the left proceeds to run downrange firing and tries to take some improvised fighting position in the bushes to the left of the pit.    I politely asked him "WTF!  Junior here could have shot you in the back....please don't do that, its unsafe..blah blah blah".  He replied "I don't have a scope like you guys, etc".  Of course...I had no scope, was using BUIS and the boy had a 4x on his .22.  The pit is only 80 yards deep.  Oh well.  

One thing to keep in mind, while this was happening the Brass Man is milling about.  The GF Brass Man is legendary and should be both respected and feared for his prowess with a paint bucket and a spider-sense when it comes to pillaging spent ammo.  He would make for a great extra in a B movie about babies who have been dropped on their heads a few too many times.  Definitely adds character to the overall Jerry Spring ambiance.  I did donate some live ammo to the Brass man's 9mm ruger he showed me.  He had stated he "didn't have any ammo for it".   I felt like giving him some ammo because the other people at the pit were more strange than the ammo man himself.  "Defend yourself brother....!" as I gave him some ammo.

Now it really gets wierd.  I wish I had a few Arfcommers there to watch my back (Cav, Tumbleweed, Bunny, Scrun, etc).  A 6 or 7 person crew of hillbilly looking folks showed up to shoot skeet and parked right in the middle of the firing line.   It wouldnt' have been too alarming if they weren't drinking shit beer and slightly stumbling about.  Definitely makes you want to ensure they are in front of you and not behind you at the range.  I loaded up the boy with some Aguila subsonic ammo (very cool and quiet) and stood back to watch him shoot.

About this time, several of the hillbilly "Deliverance" types have their shirts off and are shooting and trying to toss clays with marginal success.  The middle aged hillbilly whom I will affectionately call "Bubba" walks over with beer in hand.  He asked me what the boy was shooting and I told him a Mossberg 46m with aguila subsonic ammo.  <Dazed Glazed Donut Response from Bubba>.  "I don't shoot much" said bubba, "I'm just here with these guys".  "I don't like coming out to the pits.....what if someone gets in an arguement and gets pissed and decides to kill everyone here?".  

I pondered this question while looking at Bubba, drinking a beer while, shirt off, pot bellied with some type of Richard Simmon's "catch me, stick me" shorts.  "Not if you drop them first..." I said.  Bubba looked at me for a brief second and moved out towards the rest of his group.  One wierd sonofabitch.

Cliff notes:
Granite falls has some wierd ass SOBs
Shooting there without importing your own normal people (Arfcommers) can be a wierd experience
When some Granite Falls meth lab poster child starts talking about people going nuts and killing everyone at the pit, give them the standard threat your drill sergeant gave you your first day at the rifle range.
Brass Man has ninja skills and can kill you with his bandanna

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted: A 6 or 7 person crew of hillbilly looking folks showed up to shoot skeet and parked right in the middle of the firing line.   It wouldnt' have been too alarming if they weren't drinking shit beer and slightly stumbling about.  Definitely makes you want to ensure they are in front of you and not behind you at the range.  

I do believe that we've seen these characters before.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]
So what is the deal with the brass guy? Does he reload, or does he sell it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So what is the deal with the brass guy? Does he reload, or does he sell it?

I'm pretty sure he sells it.  He looks like he lives out of his car to be honest.  He is up there every day.  He would probobly give himself a heart attack if he came to LCR with all that brass.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
simple_in_seattle check your PM there is a solution to that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
simple_in_seattle check your PM there is a solution to that.

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
And that is one of the many reasons it is nice to know STRATIOTES.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
How far is this GF spot from Kent?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Simple,

I am truly sorry for your experience.  As a resident of Granite I know all to well that the hills are a terible place to go unarmed.  I'm surprised you stayed.  I would of left as soon as GI Hillbilly started his charge upon the hill.

Strat,

I have heard rumors of your hidden treasure and I hope to obtain a invite someday.  If my memory serves me right, I still owe you a soda.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
After previous scouting missions, I only go when we have a group plan to converge on the place. And even then we sometimes have a weird encounter.

Remember the trio that was shooting "the rock" from point blank range?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd love to see what they say about us in the Mouthbreather forums.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#11]
If you need to test a gun or ammo from the Monroe WAC show I am only 3 miles away Da_Bunny knows the way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I've only been to GF once, and PDitty and Christina were enough.....That on top of stories like this, AND the fact that it's quite the drive...My visits to GF will be limited.

Plus I just found out the Hippy in law has some property close I can shoot at!

Edited to add words to make my sentance readable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've only been to GF once, and PDitty and Christina were enough.....That on top of stories like this, AND the fact that it's quite the drive...My visits to GF will be limited.

I didn't have any problems with Christina...it was pdizzle and his no serial number deuce deuce that bothered me.  That or watching Da_Bunny try to fire from the prone position......<shudders>.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't have any problems with Christina...it was pdizzle and his no serial number deuce deuce that bothered me.  That or watching Da_Bunny try to fire from the prone position......<shudders>.

OMFGWTFBBQ!!! I forgot about that! <<TWITCH>>
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFGWTFBBQ!!! I forgot about that! <<TWITCH>>

JAFO has nothing on me.......

ETA: Unless he shoots prone.......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Having only been there once--and for the PDiddy / Christina incident, I didn't think it was too bad.  At least PDiddy / Christina didn't pose as much of a perceived threat like a bunch of beered-up hillbillies shootin' clays.  Then again when I was there  I brought a couple of well-armed and well-skilled friends and was in the company of ARFCOMMERS.  If in the rare event I go shooting in a pit alone, my sidearm is carried in condition one and is loaded with .40 S&W Federal 155gr HydraShoks just in case.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've shot alone in a pit in the past five years or so.

Simple, next time you need to call Hillary and have her bring CavVet to provide you security / warm, fuzzy feelings.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Hillary is a wench who goes around bitch slapping unsuspecting arfcommers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
After previous scouting missions, I only go when we have a group plan to converge on the place.

Ditto.  Its not safe otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
As someone who frequents the pit, and who was there the day the Clampetts were shooting the rock point-blank I must first reprimand you vile, evil people. Cavvet saw my son and I at the show Saturday when we were so aggregiously converted. At said show I sold 4 pefectly fine Warsaw Pact weapons to purchase a CAR-15, an Oly Arms plastic toy to be exact. I blame you folks on this forum for this. However, it is not so bad as I still retain many commie guns and many more kits.
 As far as the topic at hand is concerned, I live 20 minutes away from the pit in Marysville and always have one caliber or another to burn. Give me a shout-out and the boy and I will have your back. The best hillbilly buster I know is a Saiga 12 with some mags full of buckshot  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
At said show I sold 4 pefectly fine Warsaw Pact weapons to purchase a CAR-15, an Oly Arms plastic toy to be exact. I blame you folks on this forum for this.

And with those four you probably started another cycle of converts. See how that works?

As far as the topic at hand is concerned, I live 20 minutes away from the pit in Marysville and always have one caliber or another to burn.

Then you live 5 minutes from me . Give a shout if you want to go shooting sometime or if you ever need your backside covered.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like time for another GF shoot.  Whadda think?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
As long as it's not on a Wednesday
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I talked with the Brass Man when I was up there last time.  Basically, he said he sells most of the ammo to reloaders, and the rest he sells as scrap.  I never got the impression he lived out of his car, but I also didn't get the impression that he was terribly well off, financially.  It's really a bummer; he seems to be rather a pleasant fellow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yeah, R-32 has banned me from shooting on Wednesdays and playing with matches.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I talked with the Brass Man when I was up there last time.  Basically, he said he sells most of the ammo to reloaders, and the rest he sells as scrap.  I never got the impression he lived out of his car, but I also didn't get the impression that he was terribly well off, financially.  It's really a bummer; he seems to be rather a pleasant fellow.

He is a nice guy overall.  Just not the sharpest tool in the shed.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, as an infantryman I tend to work with lots of people who fit that bill (myself included, more often than I care to admit), so I tend not to think of it too often.  You know how you see something often enough, you tend not to notice when you see it elsewhere?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JAFO may Moderate here....

But I Moderate the WORLD!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well, as an infantryman I tend to work with lots of people who fit that bill (myself included, more often than I care to admit), so I tend not to think of it too often.  You know how you see something often enough, you tend not to notice when you see it elsewhere?

It is OK to admit it....

Somewhere JAFO has a pic of me doing a Bayonet charge on Santa.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JAFO may Moderate here....

But I Moderate the WORLD!

R-32WNED
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Gibby how do you light your smokes if you are banned from matches.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#31]
They have this amazing thing called a lighter. Even Jethro can operate one.  Without setting himself or others on fire.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#32]
http://tinypic.com/ampeaa.jpg
http://tinypic.com/ampbir.jpg
Those guys were OK though they did shoot at couple clays that were pretty close to our side of the range.
What did bug me was the fact they had their dog on the firing line. None of them had ear protection either. That CETME was KICKIN ASS and ears.
I am happy to not be mentioned in your list of clowns.he
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice of you to mask the identity of that dog.  I'm sure he appreciates nobody on the internet being able to identify him.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in Lake Stevens area off SR 92. give me a holler if ya need another body for hill-billie watch at the pit.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Like a dog pissing on a rock....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/ampeaa.jpg
tinypic.com/ampbir.jpg
Those guys were OK though they did shoot at couple clays that were pretty close to our side of the range.
What did bug me was the fact they had their dog on the firing line. None of them had ear protection either. That CETME was KICKIN ASS and ears.
I am happy to not be mentioned in your list of clowns.

ETA: I just noticed the beers at their feet... so no, they were not OK guys. Some fellas that showed up later were also drinking and shooting.

I mentioned the ones on my left..not the ones on my right.  The guys bring their own tables, spotting tables, rifles, chairs, sun shades, hot tub and cameras!  ;)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Hahhah!  Check me out in my bunnyman blow up doll position (prone) in the far right hand side of the picture.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The last time I went to GF was with DaBunny and he got off a shot or two while a guy was down range, he failed to be  crystal clear he was setting up new targets while we were getting ready to shoot. Doh!
GF is the place to go if ya wanna get in a shooting apparently. Ive told the story here before but a quick rehash is in order. Took the wife to GF the first year we'd been married, 3-4 years ago, she hadnt shot much before.  A couple russian cowboys,felt hats and fringed jackets ,with one of everything from Big 5 who were breaking nearly every safety rule possible (mistake 1, we stayed there) fired a shot from behind our firing line position into the embankment (mistake 2, allowing them to get behind us). I returned a shot into the ground 6 feet or so in front of  them. They started yelling and I started yelling, cept I hadnt holstered my pistol ( just realised I had started a fight with 2 guys who had rifles and all I had was a Beretta 92,mistake 3) . They realised I was pissed and started apologising,  after the one who spoke better english understood why I was pissed. I was done shooting and the wife was mad at me because she couldnt hear all that well. No one got shot but you get the idea of how things go at GF. Just a matter of time before someone does there, which is why I prefer to shoot at night, no one around and a good chance to use all the Surefire crap I've got
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
......which is why I prefer to shoot at night, no one around and a good chance to use all the Surefire crap I've got

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#41]
No joke, Sultan Basin around 9pm , no one is hogging the good spot to shoot. Electronic earmuffs from Harbor Freight, a handheld light and either a dedicated Surefire weaponslight or a classic series universal mount for installing a light and yer good to go. You can hear a car coming up the road for a mile or so, plenty of time to take a break and change mags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I have been up at Granite Falls more than once with Dave the vet with no one around.
It's a hit or miss type of situation.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#43]
The best time I've found to go up there is around 8am Saturdays or Sundays. The only other folks you see out that early have it together for the most part.

I'll be heading out sometime this weekend, just don't know when yet but probably early a.m.. I want some time without a crowd as I've heard about this breaking in thing with AR barrels. Something like fire 1, clean, repeat til 30, fire 3, clean, repeat til 50, fire 5 clean, repeat til 100 then done. Is this necessary?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I want some time without a crowd as I've heard about this breaking in thing with AR barrels. Something like fire 1, clean, repeat til 30, fire 3, clean, repeat til 50, fire 5 clean, repeat til 100 then done. Is this necessary?

There are some pretty good essays on this by barrel manufacturers, but in short a good barrel doesnt not need to be "broke in", the main reason is when there is a small burr in the barrel that copper jacket builds up on causing a discordant harmonic in the bullet, the idea of cleaning often works like lapping the barrel or so the theory goes.

thats the jist of it acording to several manufacturers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
No joke, Sultan Basin around 9pm , no one is hogging the good spot to shoot. Electronic earmuffs from Harbor Freight, a handheld light and either a dedicated Surefire weaponslight or a classic series universal mount for installing a light and yer good to go. You can hear a car coming up the road for a mile or so, plenty of time to take a break and change mags.

The Sheriffs Deputies, and the FireFighters in this area have a saying....

He who is in Sultan Basin at Night....

Owns it!...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
As someone who frequents the pit, and who was there the day the Clampetts were shooting the rock point-blank I must first reprimand you vile, evil people. Cavvet saw my son and I at the show Saturday when we were so aggregiously converted. At said show I sold 4 pefectly fine Warsaw Pact weapons to purchase a CAR-15, an Oly Arms plastic toy to be exact. I blame you folks on this forum for this. However, it is not so bad as I still retain many commie guns and many more kits.
 As far as the topic at hand is concerned, I live 20 minutes away from the pit in Marysville and always have one caliber or another to burn. Give me a shout-out and the boy and I will have your back. The best hillbilly buster I know is a Saiga 12 with some mags full of buckshot  hr

lol...hey I was there too.....they weren't quite as bad as the local hispanic gang...they were just plain scary.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#47]
At next LCR, perhaps Gibby or DaBunny or one of the Snohomos can take the bucket o' brass and give it to the Brass Man.  That will save anyone from taking it to the dump.

Plus, after such a nice gesture, te Brass Man will have our back!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
At next LCR, perhaps Gibby or DaBunny or one of the Snohomos ........

Im starting to think the crew from Snohomish county outnumbers ya all....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
At next LCR, perhaps Gibby or DaBunny or one of the Snohomos can take the bucket o' brass and give it to the Brass Man.  That will save anyone from taking it to the dump.

Plus, after such a nice gesture, te Brass Man will have our back!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Last time I was there was with Huge_gator and gwitness early in the morning.  The only other person there was IPSC-man, who was really fun to watch.  Huge_gator, send me an IM if you are headed out this weekend,  I still have to test out the trigger adjustments I did on my Bulgie 74.  BTW, why did you change your name?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top