User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 9:01:01 PM EDT
I don't like them because they screwed me and I won't  go back again ever
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't like them because they screwed me and I won't  go back again ever

If you're going to have a post like this, could you at least describe the situation so it gives people the basis to make a determination on their own of the situation? Just throwing out a statement like that certainly isn't enough for anyone to determine one way or the other the nature of validity of your claim.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have plenty of horror stories from GAT. Granted I have never actually been ripped off there, like many people seem to have been. The most common complaint I have heard was mags and accessories included at the time of sale disappeared when the gun was picked up. I was told by one of the owners that those clowns are gone. My hassles were mostly arrogance and incompetence of the counter fools. After talking to Greg, I am choosing to give them another chance. We all have to make our own decisions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never had a problem with GAT guns, and personally don't know anyone who has.

If you're going to post something like that, post everything, or you're going to get a response like one you're about to get from me.

Keep your mouth shut unless you have a damn good reason to open it, and if you do, you need to be able to back it up with proof.

Bottom line is, any business will take the opportunity to make money, especially when dealing with the ignorant.  Can't really see how its possible to get ripped off from a gunstore, unless you're truly a moron, in which case, it was well deserved.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Man we are getting very sensitive on this board these days. Can't the man state he got screwed and isn't going back without going into why? The horror stories that pour out of GAT Guns are endless. I personally will not shop there because I refuse to cowtow to cocky attitudes from gun shop employees. There is no reason for everyone to have a chip on their shoulder in that store. They have the same attitude as the people that work at Starbucks. They act like they are doing you a favor.

From what I hear the owner wants out and is looking for a buyer. Could be BS, just what those in the know have told me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems like the tone there has changed recently, there was another post that sais the attitudes there are different from what they used to be, but I really used to avoid this place.

From the experience I had, any time I expressed an opinion there that was different than the one belonging to the guy behind the counter, I didn't know what I was talking about.  Maybe that's changed now, I'll have to go back to know for sure.

Even with the attitudes, I always made it to the factory shoots though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
As GAT is one of my neighborhood gun stores now  (R Guns is the other) I've been in and out there a few times lately and they do seem to have a better attitide. It was a few years since I was in there and in those days, I would MUCH rather stop in at  Wallymart on my way to Fox Valley.  Stupid looks over bad attitudes anyday. h

I've been thinking about going in a getting some more if they will do the same price. The stripper clips and bandoleers make it well worth it!

efxguy

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have bought 1 rifle and 1 hand gun from GAT.  Both times I have have very bad experiences.  I will never step foot in that place again.  You can IM me for details if you want.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I get heated because gunstores are hard to come by anymore.  GAT is a rather large one, and I simply don't want to see some random person jump out and say "GAT screwed me they suck" without explaining why.

If you have a reason, then tell it, and if you do not, or don't wish to explain what happened, keep it to yourself and don't waste the time.

All I keep thinking about is what happened to R-guns.  They have such a bad reputation now, that some people refuse to consider buying from them.

I'm not saying they didn't mess up, but things got so twisted and exxagerated that it has damaged alot more than it should.  This came from both ends, so I'm not defending anyone, trust me, I know more of the story than 95% of the people on the board.  It was a rather small problem at first that snowballed because nobody had the balls to tell what happened or why.  Then the lies piled on from both ends.

I simply do NOT want to see anything remotely similar happen to GAT.  If you explain why you have a problem, atleast you have some basis for making a negative comment.  Otherwise, its just stupid bullshit that will snowball into something alot worse than it really is.

"GAT sucks because I wanted a firearm, and they sold it right before I bought it" is alot better than "GAT sucks because they raped my dog and shot it with an FN 5-7"

Two different stories that your comment could lead to, that mean very different things.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is my answer:  I ordered a rifle 2 months ago and said to them that I live way up north of them and it would be while before I picked it up.  They called and said it was in and I called back and said that I would be there on Saturday to pick it up.  I get to the store and first off they could not find it.  Then when they did, they did not have the 2 extra mags with it.  The gentleman at the counter asked if I was leaving more of a deposit so that I could pick up the gun later. I said no why?  He then informed me that the state records check had expired and I could not take the rifle with me.  I asked why they did not tell me on Thursday when I called.  no answer.  I asked to see the gun dept manager and basically he said it was not their fault for not telling me it was mine.  I then asked for my deposit back because they got the order wrong and I now did not want to drive another 3 hours to return to get it.  He said no return on my deposit because it was a special order. True we were both wrong, me for not knowing the records check would run out and them for not telling me.  But what really irritated me (I was very nice through it all) was not getting my deposit back and the way the gun dept manager talked to me like I was stupid and it was all my fault. The young man at the counter was very nice and polite but the manager is one person who I will never ever deal with again.  I will do all my firearm purchases locally, at the shop I have been dealing with for 20 years.  That's it, you can blast me or not, it is up to you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]
An IL records check should be good for 30 days is what I've heard.

I haven't been there in over a year, I think, but have gone there in the past because of their large selection of firearms to see up close.  I have never bought a firearm from them, however, and I think it is their attitudes that pretty much drove me away from the firearms stuff.  The only things I've ever bought there have been from their fishing sales area.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, from the sounds of it they are trying to lighten up at GAT. Probably because of their reputation. Marksman, I understand where you are coming from and honestly, I havent stepped into GAT in like four years, so maybe it's a happier place these days.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had no problems with GAT. They are friendly and helpful to a young guy like me. Also they have greatly expanded their scary black rifle section and now stock a good selection of aftermarket ar parts. Their prices are a bit high, and they had no 5.45x39 when I needed it but they are still great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thank You.  I agree with you, they should have let you know that the State crim. check had expired.  

I can understand your dislike of GAT now, with the explaination.

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
So you ordered a rifle 2 months ago, didn't pay for it in full, they got the gun in and sat on it for 60 days, then you wanted your deposit back?  

Now they have to sit on the guns and hope someone else will come along and buy it maybe in the next year or 2.

What model / make was the rifle?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So you ordered a rifle 2 months ago, didn't pay for it in full, they got the gun in and sat on it for 60 days, then you wanted your deposit back?  

It sounded like he ordered it two months ago, but it just came in, and when he went to pick it up they told him he couldn't have it because the records check expired.

I don't think it was sitting at GAT for two months.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounded like he ordered it two months ago, but it just came in, and when he went to pick it up they told him he couldn't have it because the records check expired.

I don't think it was sitting at GAT for two months.

Maybe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
The rifle is a very popular model and they now had two other ones in the rack.  I was irritated that they did not tell me that there was an expiration involved, he was rude to me when I was not rude to him, I did not get what I ordered, and I did not get my deposit back. I have a local gun dealer that I have been going to for 20 years and I will remain with that shop.  I feel that I was wronged, and I was polite and respectful all of the time.  It doesn't make a difference what I ordered, they had the order wrong.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Okay, well here's two, "Why I won't spend a penny at GAT" stories.  Now both of these were from several years back but still during Greg's reign.  First one was for an FFL transfer on a CZ85.  I called, was told it was $30; I told them where to send it, prepaid for the gun myself, and went in to pick it up.  Get there and some asshat behind the counter decides that now the price is $50 because they could have ordered one for me.  WTF??? So there I am with a gun that I already prepaid direct for and now some a-hole is extorting an extra $20 out of me after the fact.  That's BS.

Second time was when I bough a Smith Model 637 (stainless snub) that was advertised as a factory rep's demo gun.  They were selling it "as new" with full warranty for about $50 less than a brand new one.  I looked it over, paid in cash and came back 3 days later to pick it up.  I pick it up, get it home and start looking through it and notice a hairline crack running through the inside of the frame just under where the cylinder swings out.  I call them immediately to tell them and of course get the " you must be imagining it there's nothing wrong but if you want to bring it back in tomorrow fine".  Hop in the car the next day to make the 120 mile round-trip drive, a-hole behind the counter looks it over and says, "yeah sure is cracked" to which I respond, what are you going to do to correct this?  At which point, I'm told I can purchase a new one at full retail and wait another 3 days or they will send mine back to S&W and then transfer it back to me when it comes back in.  Again, WTF???  A manufacturer/dealer can replace a defective gun just by recording it in his bound book.  On top of that, they wouldn't come off a dime on replacing it with a new one.  Then when I ask for a refund, this dude has the balls to refund my money, which I payed in cash, with a f-ing check.

Experiences like that convinced me to get an FFL just so I'd never have to deal with a-holes like that again.  My .02 cents.  I realize they are one of the few large shops left in IL, which is an unfortunate by-product of bad politics but pumping more money into them won't make them treat customers any better.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is my answer:  I ordered a rifle 2 months ago and said to them that I live way up north of them and it would be while before I picked it up.  They called and said it was in and I called back and said that I would be there on Saturday to pick it up.  I get to the store and first off they could not find it.  Then when they did, they did not have the 2 extra mags with it.  The gentleman at the counter asked if I was leaving more of a deposit so that I could pick up the gun later. I said no why?  He then informed me that the state records check had expired and I could not take the rifle with me.  I asked why they did not tell me on Thursday when I called.  no answer.  I asked to see the gun dept manager and basically he said it was not their fault for not telling me it was mine.  I then asked for my deposit back because they got the order wrong and I now did not want to drive another 3 hours to return to get it.  He said no return on my deposit because it was a special order. True we were both wrong, me for not knowing the records check would run out and them for not telling me.  But what really irritated me (I was very nice through it all) was not getting my deposit back and the way the gun dept manager talked to me like I was stupid and it was all my fault. The young man at the counter was very nice and polite but the manager is one person who I will never ever deal with again.  I will do all my firearm purchases locally, at the shop I have been dealing with for 20 years.  That's it, you can blast me or not, it is up to you.

Thank You.  I agree with you, they should have let you know that the State crim. check had expired.  

I can understand your dislike of GAT now, with the explaination.

+1

Thats all I needed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
During one of their factory shoots my father bought a S&W 519 that came with two hi-caps and a ten rounder. A lady wrote up the sale and kept the manilla card with the writing on it. She writes "three mags on the receipt" and we leave to pick it up in three days. She placed the two hi-caps with the gun and the ten rounder in the pistol. Three days later we get there and we pick up the gun. There was only one hi-cap with it and it was a bit more used than the two that were put with the gun. I ask the older guy servicing us what gives with the switch and he accuses me of lying after explaining the three mag notation. The SOB goes on to say that the mag reference was for two tens and on fifteen. We argue for another 5 minutes and he gets louder and louder and everyone in the store is listening now. Finally, I just accept the fact that we are not going to win and we take the gun.
That was enough for me. I go there to look at new stff and order from a private dealer, Gander, or The Gun Doctor in Roselle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I truly believe the reason you see fewer and fewer gunstores these days has as much to do with the "I am doing you a favor" or "I know everyone because I work at a gunstore and you don't know sh*t" attitude at many gunstores as with the fact that anti's like to see them shut down.

You wonder if it is just befcuase they have an arsenal behind the counter that makes them feel like they are right and you are wrong...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been shooting at GAT for years, never had any issues with anyone there, yeah some of the counter help have attitudes but think of some of the idiots they have to deal with too. Though I have never purchased a gun from them I have been treated to free quick fixes on guns by their gunsmith. My GP141 which I bought at Gander Mountain had a serious issue with the trigger assembly being very sharp, to the point where the gun would slice into my trigger finger on recoil. On of the guys noticed the bleeding finger and after me explaining took me over to the smith who ground, filed/polished the trigger and
guard. Gratis....I have lately been shooting at Gun World. Shooting indoors up here is a normal thing but I prefer to enjoy shooting outdoors better. Unfortunately not many outdoor ranges nearby....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#27]

You wonder if it is just befcuase they have an arsenal behind the counter that makes them feel like they are right and you are wrong... hinking.gif

On this subject, back in my rookie days, my partner took me to Shore Galleries to pick up my S&W. When I saw the enormous size hock.gif of the counter guy, I asked my partner why they let such a huge guy work at the counter.

He relpied, Whith all those guns around, he never needs to run.

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess I've never had these problems because I only talk to a few people there, and am on a first name basis with nearly all of them.  I plan on applying there for a summer sales job...so hopefully I'll get it and be able to help you guys out.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#29]
The mag scam is well known.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The mag scam is well known.

To be fair - this has happened at more places than just Gat.  This to me over at Megasports (two mags when I paid for it, only one when I picked it up). However I spoke to a friend of ours who worked there and the problem got fixed right away.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#31]
When I bought my Springfield TRP 45 at Megasports they gave me one stock mag and one knockoff.

I complained and they basically said too bad.

Spoke with Deb at Springfeild to let them know what happened and they sent me a mag for free.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have a local gun dealer that I have been going to for 20 years and I will remain with that shop.  

Then why, may I ask, did you go order through GAT, 3 hours away from you,  for?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top