Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:38:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, but being a vet is no substitute for not knowing the law or getting a free pass.

Yes, I know he checked.

However, it's no secret as to which states are NOT gun friendly.

Sucks. I feel bad for the guy but.............

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a damn shame.  It'd be nice if the supreme Court would grow some hair on their balls and rule that the 2nd amendment applies to all government entities i.e. state, county, local etc... like the 1,st, 4th, 5th, etc....  Driving isn't  a protected constitutional right but all 50 states honor your drivers license.  Why the hell don't they honor firearms carry licenses?  Not that I agree with a state granted permission card so I can enjoy a God given right either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
NYC is the most depressing city I'd ever been to...I'd probably rather visit a port-o-potti dump site than ever go back there. The hotels and restaurants are nice, but by the third day there I had already decided there's not enough gold in Ft Knox to make me want to ever live there
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry, but being a vet is no substitute for not knowing the law or getting a free pass.

Yes, I know he checked.

I disagree...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with this.  None of us get off with carrying a gun illegally.  When I plan on going to a new state that I want to transport a gun or carry a gun in, I take the time to read the states website on their gun laws.   Ignorance of the law will never get you out of a punishment for a committed crime.  

I grew up in Pennsylvania, right near the NJ border.  Therw were many small bridges through rural areas that connected the two states and you wouldn't realize you went to a new state, as there were no welcome signs.  So I had to do my homework to make sure I never go caught accidentally going to NJ with a concealed gun, as their laws are just as bad as NY in most ways.  They even ban hollow points there, which is an arrestable offense in itself.  

I do feel bad for him for getting bad information on the site we visited, but he should have confirmed it with the states gun law website and made sure it was accurate.   Knowing the law is your responsiblity and not a cops or judges job to make sure you understand the law when going to a new state.  

Quoted:

Yes, I know he checked.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a horrible situation! and I do feel bad for him that he has to go through this.
NY & NJ are crazy with this (like the NJ guy that arrested, convicted and recently pardoned in NJ for moving his unloaded firearms in the trunk of his car).
I escaped the North

BUT seriously, a gun owner who makes the decision to carry a firearm must take responsibility to know the laws in the environment he is carrying. Ignorance is not admissible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Just on the surface I don't understand how something that is common practice in one state, can be a 2 year+ felony in another. Can you name anything else like that?

I am sure if the supreme court got to it it could easily be overturned via the commerce clause if they chose to.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a horrible situation! and I do feel bad for him that he has to go through this.
NY & NJ are crazy with this (like the NJ guy that arrested, convicted and recently pardoned in NJ for moving his unloaded firearms in the trunk of his car).
I escaped the North

BUT seriously, a gun owner who makes the decision to carry a firearm must take responsibility to know the laws in the environment he is carrying. Ignorance is not admissible.

Do you make it a point to study up on all the traffic laws of the states you are visiting or do you just ASSUME that you won't go to prison for 2 years for not wearing your seatbelt??? This is not any more serious.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just on the surface I don't understand how something that is common practice in one state, can be a 2 year+ felony in another. Can you name anything else like that?

I am sure if the supreme court got to it it could easily be overturned via the commerce clause if they chose to.

It is mind-boggling!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
There are plenty of law differences that will get you put away in prison in one state, and not in another.  Take the age of consent for example.  Some states 16 is legal, some are 18.  That will get you 10 years for statutory rape if you pick the wrong state to be with someone when you are in highschool or college.  

Look at pot smoking.  In Colorado and California, it isn't a arrestable offense to have a small quantity of marijuana on your person for medicinal purposes.  But take that same amount to Georgia and you will be thrown in jail.  

State laws are state laws.  Nothing we can do to equalize the law to be the same in all 50 states.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Running a medical marijuana dispensary will net you differing results in California than in Georgia.

The big difference to me is that there is no Constitutional protection supplied by the founding fathers for stoners at the federal level, (if there was, the Constitution would be unfinished, and smell of Cheetos) but there is supposed to be Constitutional protection for keeping and bearing arms.

"Headache/glaucoma weed" should be a state issue, carrying your personal defense piece should not. This does need to change.

Still, it does not take an amazing leap of thinking to say "I'm going to New York City, they hate guns, I'll leave mine locked in the trunk/at home/melted and turned into a small statue of Lady Gaga. " unless you wanted to do a bit of jail time while providing a real world case that would probably not get to a high enough court level before you were released from jail.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are plenty of law differences that will get you put away in prison in one state, and not in another.  Take the age of consent for example.  Some states 16 is legal, some are 18.  That will get you 10 years for statutory rape if you pick the wrong state to be with someone when you are in highschool or college.  

Look at pot smoking.  In Colorado and California, it isn't a arrestable offense to have a small quantity of marijuana on your person for medicinal purposes.  But take that same amount to Georgia and you will be thrown in jail.  

State laws are state laws.  Nothing we can do to equalize the law to be the same in all 50 states.  

Quoted:

The age of consent is another prime example of something that should be a federally standardized law. You can make a rationalization on why the needs of folks in Michigan are served by one age, and Ohio another. I know its a slippery slope, but I am a big believer in there not being "traps" as if we were traveling to Mexico.

On the Drugs, that is also something that is clearly best regulated as a nation. Why have different laws in each state? Either they are legal or not. While I am not a big government guy, I feel like if we are going to be one nation instead of 50 countries we need to have consistency.  This can be simply the supreme court striking down these over zealous local laws.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I know he checked.

I disagree...

Why do you disagree?

I didn't say I lke it. I actually said I feel bad for the guy but he did screw up. It is just as much the responsibility of the gun owner to know the law as it is to know his/her target and what is beyond.

I don't go to NYC and open a business and expect to pay GA tax rates.

State laws are state laws. Thank God for the 10th Amendment. I would hate to live in a country where the Feds make THE law for everyone. Whose gun laws do you think we should adopt for everyone? CA for mag restrictions? NJ for SBR? RI for silencers???
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Rob,

I totally agree with you on having equality of major laws across the US.  I was just pointing out some other differences between states that can get your ass fryed.  

It is impossible for most police officers to remeber all of their own city and state laws, so how do they think most people will know all the laws of other states?  

Things like guns and drugs make most people paranoid when transporting them, so those type of things are usually researched.  But other things like local ordinances, driving laws (no right turn on red in Las Vegas, etc) should be standardized to make it easier for citizens.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The age of consent is another prime example of something that should be a federally standardized law. You can make a rationalization on why the needs of folks in Michigan are served by one age, and Ohio another. I know its a slippery slope, but I am a big believer in there not being "traps" as if we were traveling to Mexico.

On the Drugs, that is also something that is clearly best regulated as a nation. Why have different laws in each state? Either they are legal or not. While I am not a big government guy, I feel like if we are going to be one nation instead of 50 countries we need to have consistency.  This can be simply the supreme court striking down these over zealous local laws.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a prime example of why we need a national carry permit instead of state-by-state.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is a prime example of why we need a national carry permit instead of state-by-state.

I disagree....this is why the SCOTUS needs to rule that the 2nd admendment, just like all other rights, applies to every state and jurisdiction within the state. States should not have the opportunity to ban weapons in their jurisdictions, because the federal constution grants all of the citizens in the US the right to bear arms. The states should be mandated to accept every other state in the Union permits, beacuse we are all under the same constitution. Im NOT for the federal government telling the states where people can/can't carry....thats up to the individual governments to decide....but the governemtns should be mandated to allow weapons in public places.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree....this is why the SCOTUS needs to rule that the 2nd admendment, just like all other rights, applies to every state and jurisdiction within the state. States should not have the opportunity to ban weapons in their jurisdictions, because the federal constution grants all of the citizens in the US the right to bear arms. The states should be mandated to accept every other state in the Union permits, beacuse we are all under the same constitution. Im NOT for the federal government telling the states where people can/can't carry....thats up to the individual governments to decide....but the governemtns should be mandated to allow weapons in public places.

Minor quibble: the Second Amendment doesn't grant anything, it protects a pre-existing right from government interference.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top