Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 1:23:53 PM EDT
Anyone know much about this pistol made by FN? It's a new gun that LE and military is using. I almost bought one yesterday and I still may buy one at any moment (I'm about as impulsive of a buyer you'll ever see). It's possible that I'll buy one at the Eastman show if I see one and the price is right.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
until they come up with ammunition that's not classified as armor piercing, and start selling it in the states, you're going to have a hard time finding things to fire out of it.  problem is, even the armor piercing ammo sucks for terminal ballistics.  it yaws almost immediately in gelatin, and has very little penetration.  which renders it useless except in something like a P90, where you can fire strings of several rounds in the same spot, no problem.  in such an instance, the trauma and ensuing fleshular damage from that many rounds in a small area would be enough to incapacitate.  and the armor piercing capabilities of the round suit it to rear-located forces.  the ones that are only likely to be overrun by enemies with armor, because any others would probably die long before hitting the rear.

all in all, i know nearly nothing of the 5-7 (i'm not writing the damn name out), but have read plenty on its ammo.  current research is being done on an FMJ and expanding rounds in 5.7mm, both by FN and by ammunition companies here in the US.  hopefully, one will come up with something that performs, because the lower recoil and higher capacity that the round an its weapons systems offer is good.  the ballistics just suck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a new (read: untested) pistol that fires a round not much bigger than a .22LR.  Sure, the mag holds 20 rounds, buy you won't be able to get your hands on that until next year, if ever.  Ammo is expensive, and the really good stuff (armor piercing) is unobtainable by us civvies.  Stick with the tested and trusted stuff (9mm Para, .45ACP, etc).  

Just my 2 cents.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the one gun(pistol) I really want. I thought only LEO/Military could buy them. I will finally buy reloading equipment if that is what it takes to own it and shoot it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
$1399.95

Ouch, is that a price because of high demand?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
When FN sells one of these pistols, they try to get the dealer to sign a release saying that they will only sell to LEO or Military buyers. If a dealer has gotten these guns without having to sign a release, it is rare. Thus, the high price due to high demand.

I handled one of these pistols this week. I was not impressed. The slide is plastic over a metal reinforcement. The gun certainly did not justify the $1500 that was on the price tag.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot the Five Seven.  They were issued to Duluth PD watch commanders last year.  Very low recoil, accurate but generally unimpressive. The sights are really cheap plastic and subject to breaking.  A newer version or replacement steel sights are in the works or now available. I'll find out. I even chrono'd their issue ammo at 2200-2300 fps.  Duluth also had the first reported shooting and kill (Roman Khaimov) with the Five Seven on record back in February.

The gun was also standard issue to Doraville until about 3 months ago. They have migrated to the Glock 21.  The main reason evidently was a failure to procure enough holsters manufactured for their officers so I was told.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I just spoke with my Cop friend from the Duluth PD and he says they don't like the five seven. They had a shooting incident where a cop was trying to shoot through a window at a 45 degree angle and the bullets were bouncing off the windows!

Also he said the clip will fall out on it's own and the cheap plastic sights have fallen off!

I'm glad I spoke with him before I bought one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just spoke with my Cop friend from the Duluth PD and he says they don't like the five seven. They had a shooting incident where a cop was trying to shoot through a window at a 45 degree angle and the bullets were bouncing off the windows!

Also he said the clip will fall out on it's own and the cheap plastic sights have fallen off!

I'm glad I spoke with him before I bought one.

All that for $1500 Damn sound like a good deal to me!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]
i guess duluth is one of the few municipalities that can actually afford to issue crap like that, then switch to something else.  i'm so glad i've never gotten a ticket there.  and i work as a parts driver for gwinnett place chevy, so i drive through there about 11ty billion times a day.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
the 5 7 is nothing special and it does have a "cheap feel".   the P90 is fun to shoot and easy to operate.    some guy started a thread on the general forum about this caliber and it went about 20 pages or so.  i asked an FN rep. if they would ever make a civilian p90 (longer barrell, semi-auto) and he said "no".  can't remember the actual cost per round, but something like $.75.

all that to say if you want it and can afford it GET IT!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Not mine. There are a lot on that board for sale.

www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=79497

And a place in Athens, GA
www.policeguns.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top