Site Notices
Firearms news of note (Page 4 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Friiguy:

Originally Posted By aztec223:

A Gun Ban We Can ALL Support!

Ban gun ownership by radical Islamic terrorists.

There it is. Simple. Short. Easy to wrap your mind around. When Islamic terrorists can’t buy guns, only ‘good Muslims’ (and the rest of us infidels) will have guns. Now I know that, on the surface, this plan might seem to have some .50 Caliber-sized holes in it, but stay with me, and I think you’ll see the wisdom of this proposal.

First of all, logically, if we ban radical Islamists from owning guns, it will stop them from shooting up military installations, right? Seems like a noble goal to me. But of course, in order to accomplish this, we must find a way to get around the politically-incorrect problem with singling out any kind of Muslim, for the Progressives and far-Left PC police hold that any follower of Islam falls into a protected class.

But I have a way around this. We simply petition the Environmental Protection Agency to put WASPs, Catholics, and Jews into the Endangered Species program.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/11/brad-kozak/a-gun-ban-we-can-all-support/

Slippery slope and all that, this is not ok.

Next they will say the catholics who believe abortion is wrong are extremists who cant own guns because they may bomb an abortion clinic.

Then the TEA partiers, then ???

Then no one will own a gun since they are extremists.

No.

It’s all well and good to joke about gun control. But the real issue is that political correctness is a far bigger danger to the world than the ability to buy a gun.

But when we live in a world where the government is unwilling to preemptively stop someone they know to be a threat, simply because it’s politically incorrect to do so, we are all at risk. And that’s no joke.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Friiguy:

A Gun Ban We Can ALL Support!

Ban gun ownership by radical Islamic terrorists.

There it is. Simple. Short. Easy to wrap your mind around. When Islamic terrorists can’t buy guns, only ‘good Muslims’ (and the rest of us infidels) will have guns. Now I know that, on the surface, this plan might seem to have some .50 Caliber-sized holes in it, but stay with me, and I think you’ll see the wisdom of this proposal.

First of all, logically, if we ban radical Islamists from owning guns, it will stop them from shooting up military installations, right? Seems like a noble goal to me. But of course, in order to accomplish this, we must find a way to get around the politically-incorrect problem with singling out any kind of Muslim, for the Progressives and far-Left PC police hold that any follower of Islam falls into a protected class.

But I have a way around this. We simply petition the Environmental Protection Agency to put WASPs, Catholics, and Jews into the Endangered Species program.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/11/brad-kozak/a-gun-ban-we-can-all-support/

Slippery slope and all that, this is not ok.

Next they will say the catholics who believe abortion is wrong are extremists who cant own guns because they may bomb an abortion clinic.

Then the TEA partiers, then ???

Then no one will own a gun since they are extremists.

No.

It’s all well and good to joke about gun control. But the real issue is that political correctness is a far bigger danger to the world than the ability to buy a gun.

But when we live in a world where the government is unwilling to preemptively stop someone they know to be a threat, simply because it’s politically incorrect to do so, we are all at risk. And that’s no joke.

This isnt about political correctness, its about MY rights.

I can think of a thousand better ways to handle radical extremist muslims, none of which are politically correct, and none of which I can post here without getting banned.

Link Posted: 11/6/2010 2:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#3]

This isnt about political correctness, its about MY rights.

I can think of a thousand better ways to handle radical extremist muslims, none of which are politically correct, and none of which I can post here without getting banned.

You, my friend are absolutely correct!

However in order to deal with them in a way you deem appropriate you must first identify them! That is where PC gets in your way to protecting your rights! No one is saying block an entire faction just due to their ethnicity, or religious belief, merely that they need to be identified, which would require some form of profiling, this is where PC crosses into your realm, and hobnails your rights.

Major Hasan, profiled, but not identified as a radical Jihadist, due largely to the fact that it was not PC to do so, and he was an Army officer. Just for one case in point.

Juan Williams was canned just for saying he was uncomfortable on a plane with individuals he saw as potential Jihadists, because it was PC to do so.

In order to protect our precious right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness there needs to be a point at which PC becomes BS.

After 911 there was a massive investigation into non citizens attending flight training, right here at SJC inclusive, today we do not allow non citizens to attend flight training in the US except under Federal/Military scrutiny. This is the effect of profiling, identifying, this is the sort of prevention that I am in favor of, not after the fact, not after the loss of ONE American life, we have already seen that our current Government is too PC to even prosecute them without worrying about World Perception.

When World Perception becomes more important than National Protection, our Rights my friend are merely an inconvenience.

ALLAH AKHBAR be damned! If the shoe fits they get to wear it!
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]

McMillan Offers Limited Edition M40A1 Commemorative Rifles

McMillan is building 20 limited edition M40A1 Commemorative USMC sniper rifle packages. The M40A1 rifles are being built to the exact configuration as those originally issued. Gale McMillan, founder of McMillan, worked with the Marine Corps in 1975 to develop the M40A1. In 2000 the Marine Corps presented Gale with a Service Award, a used dewatted M40A1. Each of the commemorative rifles is a replica of this original M40A1.Package Includes U.S. Optics Scope and Extra M40A1 Stock Returned from Service

To ensure the authenticity of the M40A1 Commemorative Rifle, McMillan interviewed Marine armorers at Quantico on M40A1 specs and gunsmithing. Each rifle is equipped with a MST-100 scope, period correct base and rings, Wichita swivels, leather military sling, and a numbered certificate of authenticity. The package comes in a custom-inlet olive Pelican case. In addition to the rifle, each package includes an original returned M40A1 stock from an actual USMC M40A1 service rifle.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/mcmillan-offers-limited-edition-m40a1-commemorative-rifles/

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:26:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#5]

Winchester's Centerfire Operations to Relocate to Oxford, Mississippi

Company Makes Decision Following Union Members' Rejection of Proposal That Would Have Kept Operations in East Alton

EAST ALTON, IL––(Marketwire - 11/03/10) - Olin Corporation (NYSE:OLN - News) announced today that its Winchester Centerfire Operations and approximately 1,000 jobs will be relocated to Oxford, Mississippi. The company's decision follows two failed ratification votes by members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, in which employees twice rejected a union proposal that would have allowed Centerfire Operations to remain in East Alton. The company informed the unions in August that it was considering relocating operations to Oxford to enhance the competitiveness of its operations. The company engaged in discussions with union leaders over the past two months.

"Our focus always has been on ensuring that we continue producing high-quality products for our customers in an increasingly competitive marketplace," said Joseph D. Rupp, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Olin Corporation. "While I am disappointed that employees represented by the International Association of Machinists (IAM) chose to reject a proposal that would have allowed us to remain competitive in East Alton, we look forward to expanding our existing operations in Mississippi.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Winchesters-Centerfire-iw-2235996390.html?x=0&.v=1

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]

President Obama Concedes that 1099 Rules are Burdensome

Following this week’s midterm elections which saw the Republicans take back control of the House of Representatives, and eroded the Democrats’ majority in the Senate, President Obama conceded that new Form 1099 reporting requirements are "burdensome” for small businesses and vowed to work with Republicans on a legislative fix. The National Shooting Sports Foundation was one of the first groups to bring this important matter to congress’ attention.

Repealing the Form 1099 requirements, buried in the health care bill, has broad support from both sides of the aisle. It is largely seen as a move that would benefit both high volume retailers and smaller mom-n-pop shops.

Scheduled to take effect in 2012, the new IRS reporting requirement would force businesses to provide a 1099 to vendors from whom they buy goods totaling $600 or more annually. Small businesses will need to issue hundreds or even thousands of forms each year, track cumulative payments to vendors and obtain tax identification information from each vendor. And the "vendor” could be a gun owner who sells used firearms to a retailer.

http://www.nssfblog.com/president-obama-concedes-that-1099-rules-are-burdensome/

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
HELLER GOES BACK TO COURT

On Nov. 15, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit will hear oral arguments in the lawsuit brought by Dick Heller seeking to overturn the district's new Post-Heller firearms regulations. Heller, the lead plaintiff who challenged the district's previous handgun ban in the U.S. Supreme Court two years ago and won, sued the district a second time claiming that its new firearms registration process, its ban on certain commonly possessed semiautomatic firearms and its prohibition of "large" capacity magazines were unduly burdensome and violated the Second Amendment. NSSF will be monitoring this case closely.

http://www.nssfblog.com/
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Elk Foundation to Launch Youth Shooting Program

MISSOULA, Mont.—A new initiative to introduce youths and other newcomers to shooting sports, hunting and conservation is set to launch in 2011 powered by a generous donation to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation by Larry and Brenda Potterfield.

The Potterfields, owners of MidwayUSA, the catalog and Internet retailer offering "Just About Everything for Shooting, Reloading, Gunsmithing and Hunting,” contributed $400,000 to RMEF to help launch the new SAFE Challenge. SAFE is an acronym for Shooting Access For Everyone.

SAFE will introduce young and novice shooters to safe, responsible, enjoyable firearm use, as well as educate newcomers about the hunter’s role in conservation.

"Our goal is to build public understanding and appreciation of guns, shooting and hunting, and ultimately to recruit and welcome 50,000 newcomers into the sporting community,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. "With leaders like the Potterfields and MidwayUSA, and their partnership with many dedicated volunteer organizations like ours, I see a bright future for conservation and our hunting heritage.”

http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/NewsReleases/2010/SAFE.htm

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
What we believe: Gun rights, natural law

In Part 5 of his What We Believe series on the Tea Party and its direction, Declaration Entertainment’s Bill Whittle gives us a comprehensive argument in defense of gun ownership rights — and questions why anyone would want to have a state that forcibly disarms its citizenry. Bill addresses the plague of gun-related homicides found in the US by pointing out that the epicenters of such plagues rarely coincide with higher densities of legal gun ownership, which means guns are a secondary issue and not the primary cause. It’s impossible to encapsulate Bill’s argument in anything less than the efficient manner in which he does so in this video:

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/07/what-we-believe-gun-rights-natural-law/
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]

164 guns handed to police during Saturday's 'buyback'

CLEVELAND, Ohio –– Citizens surrendered 164 guns to police eager to reduce the number of guns on the street.

Residents relinquished the weapons at the Public Safety Central Building, 2001 Payne Ave., on a rainy, cold day. In exchange, they received gift cards for groceries or gas and and tickets to Cavaliers and Lake Erie Monsters games.

The guns will be melted by ArcelorMittal, a steel company that co-sponsored the event.

Felonious assaults with a gun are at 502 so far this year.

"Last year at this time, we were at 600," police spokeswoman Nancy Dominik said. "We are down approximately 16 percent. That's great."

There have been 61 homicides so far this year, compared with 101 this time last year.

More than 300 guns were collected in the 2008 buyback

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/11/164_guns_handed_to_police_duri.html

I'm sorry, but there is something wrong with the math and logic in this! Are all felonious assaults committed with a firearm?
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#11]

New, Dual-Transducer Ultrasonic Machine from Hornady

In 2011, Hornady will be offering a new stainless-shell, heavy-duty Ultrasonic Cleaning machine, which fits nicely between the cheap, low-capacity machines sold on eBay, and the large industrial machines which can cost $1000.00 or more. Hornady’s new Lock-N-Load® Magnum Sonic Cleaner™, with a $317.08 MSRP, provides triple the size and twice the power of the original Lock-N-Load® Sonic Cleaner™.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/new-dual-transducer-ultrasonic-machine-from-hornady/
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#12]

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has granted the gun ban application of former United States President William Jefferson "Bill” Clinton. The Manila Times was able to obtain a one-page certificate of authority issued by the Comelec where the Committee on the Ban on Firearms and Security Personnel (CBFSP) for the October 25, 2010 Barangay (village) and Sangguniang Kabataan (Youth Council) elections, chaired by poll body Commissioner Lucenito Tagle, granted the gun ban exemption to a large number of Clinton’s security personnel from the US Protective Service Agents.

Clinton, the 42nd president of the US, will be in the Philippines on November 10, as speaker of the forum "President Bill Clinton Live in Manila” at the Manila Hotel to share his insights as the former "most powerful man in the world” and his continuing legacy around the world.

http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/component/content/article/42-rokstories/31707-clinton-gets-gun-ban-exemption

Disarm you and I OK, but leave his security detail alone?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Taking aim at a place to shoot in Lafayette

LAFAYETTE –– It would be a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent's dream corner.

Barlow's Premium Cigars & Pipes, Atlas Valley Wine & Spirits and a 25-yard indoor shooting range all within a stone's throw of one another.

"We want to make it easy for the ATF to come and enforce its policies," joked John Cohagen, owner of the liquor store and the driving force behind the prospective shooting range at Lafayette's Atlas Valley Shopping Center.

The range, which Cohagen prefers to call a sports training facility because it would include archery lanes and classroom space, would fit into a vacant 7,400-square-foot spot in the shopping plaza at 95th Street and Arapahoe Avenue.

Cohagen emphasized that the project, which would be Boulder County's only indoor shooting range, is early in the planning stages, and ideas for it are still fluid. If it proceeds, he said, it would likely be a private-member club with a focus on "female shooting and sport training shooting."

Read more: Taking aim at a place to shoot in Lafayette - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/business/ci_16559960#ixzz14pWg6Nkx

DailyCamera.com
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Pried From My Cold, Dead Hand

Newcastle — The crackle of gunfire and the opening of the serious killing season remind me that the gun huggers have enjoyed a pretty good year. Supported by an increasingly conservative Supreme Court, gun control, which flourished in the last half of the last century looks to have reverted to the eighteen hundreds. Was the final nail in the coffin hammered last June with the 5-to-4 McDonald v. Chicago ruling? Not really.

Justice Alito, writing for the majority, acknowledged that the decision might "lead to extensive and costly litigation,” because the ruling only ensures our right to have a firearm and does not address (i.e. invalidate) any current laws controlling how we use our little friend. Some control is obviously necessary. Nobody endorses wanton mayhem, e.g. Columbine, not even the NRA or its lunatic offshoot, Gun Owners of America. And it doesn’t really matter if the price of protecting a constitutional freedom is a legal morass. We have already such an abundance of vituperative and costly litigation, what’s a little more? Besides, lawyering is one of the few careers left that offer employment, so let’s have at it.

I shouldn’t admit to my predilection for banning all guns because it’s somewhat emasculating. Real men like guns, if only because they’re born with one. However, I would support the elimination of firearms, even though I know that this would have about as much success as the WCTU’s effort to abolish booze. It can’t be done. We like to shoot at things, even each other. Hey, isn’t war an absolute hoot?

http://waldo.villagesoup.com/blog/blogpost/pried-from-my-cold-dead-hand/362599

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Gun safety not part of many parents’ conversations with kids

While
millions of households across U.S. have guns, a significant number parents, gun-owning and not, report never discussing gun safety with their children

ANN ARBOR, Mich.––As many as one-half of American households have a gun and nearly 30 children are injured or killed every day by firearms in the United States - most from guns owned by the child’s family or friends.

In August 2010, the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital National Poll on Children’s Health asked 1,621 parents about gun ownership and if they have talked about gun safety with their children.

The poll found that one-third of respondents with children, age 5-17, report having a gun in the household. Of parents with guns in their homes, 82 percent said they have discussed gun safety with their children—most within the past year. In contrast, only 48 percent of parents without guns in their household have ever discussed gun safety with their children

http://www2.med.umich.edu/prmc/media/newsroom/details.cfm?ID=1817

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Ideology, Politics and Guns

Over five years ago, in a provocative article in The New Republic, Jonathan Chait attempted to distill the essence of how liberalism differs from conservatism on economic policy. His analysis seems even more insightful in the wake of last week's election, with much to say about issues beyond economic policy, particularly the question of gun control.

President Obama should also understand that, given the remarkable consensus about gun policy between those who own guns and those who do not, the gun issue can be important in strengthening his claim to being the advocate of pragmatic problem-solving against the ideological crusaders of the right. The American people already implicitly understand that many thousands of American lives, particularly young lives, are being sacrificed on the alter of an "any gun, anywhere, anytime" ideology. They are ready to stand up to that ideology. Is he ready to lead them?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis-a-henigan/ideology-politics-and-gun_b_780570.html
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Guns are bad? Really?

As my distinguished colleague Spencer Madison pointed out, sometimes guns hurt people. Because of this, Madison seems to think that guns are bad. He elaborates that the constitutionally enshrined right of this country’s people to own them is bad as well. He is confident that the recent events he discusses will not have significant influence, backing his point by deploying a brilliant non-sequitur: "because people are extremely forgiving of the liberties a bunch of entitled slave owners gave us.”

How this should be an argument against the constitutional right to own guns is beyond me.

Cars hurt people too; far more people are killed in automobile accidents then in accidents involving firearms. According to the National Highway Administration, 41,821 people were killed in automobile accidents in 2000, whereas, according to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, part of the CDC, 776 people were killed in firearms accidents. I do not see Mr. Madison, or anyone else for that matter, arguing against automobile ownership, even despite the fact that there is no constitutional protection of car possession.

http://www.oregoncommentator.com/2010/11/08/guns-are-bad-really/

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#18]
GOA Offering Arguments in Heller II Case

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Coming off some huge Election Day victories in the Congress, Gun Owners of America is now setting its sights on the courts.

A big battle will be taking place next week on Monday, November 15, at the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

Both Gun Owners of America and Gun Owners Foundation are involved in challenging an extremely restrictive gun control law in a case known as Heller II.

After the District of Columbia lost its 2008 case in Heller I, the city council enacted a firearms registration scheme that was nearly as draconian as the original law, which the Supreme Court had struck down.

The Heller I decision in 2008 was monumental, as it paved the way for the Chicago verdict earlier this year –– which made clear that our Second Amendment rights apply throughout the entire country (not just in Washington, DC).

Gun Owners was also actively involved in the Chicago case, known as McDonald v. Chicago. This case is paying dividends, as recently as last month when a Wisconsin judge used the McDonald case to rule their ban on concealed carry unconstitutional!

The court said it "agrees with Justice Clarence Thomas's McDonald concurrence and application of the Fourteenth Amendment to this matter. In essence, no State shall abridge the privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States. As Justice Thomas demonstrates, the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right, not created by the Second Amendment, but secured or recognized by it."

This appeal to the "privileges and immunities" of American citizens is exactly the argument that Gun Owners made in its amicus brief before the McDonald court.

It was worth every penny that was spent on the Heller I and McDonald cases.

In Heller II, we are challenging the new DC gun law. After all, what good does it do if the Court says you have an "individual right" to own a gun, but the city in which you live is still allowed to impose draconian restrictions which will cost you hundreds of dollars just so you can exercise that right.'/

That's why GOA is helping to challenge the DC law... and why we are so excited about the oral arguments that will be delivered to the court on November 15, almost two weeks after the election.

Gun Owners of America and Gun Owners Foundation are submitting an amicus brief in this case. This is an effort that you can help us with –– and it's a lot easier than you might think.

In many federal offices, there are subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) pressures to give to the Combined Federal Campaign. Your boss may think his prestige depends upon getting everyone to kick in. The same thing happens in all too many corporations during the United Way fundraising drive.

You may have wanted to give but couldn''t find a group that wasn't attacking your rights, let alone defending them, on the list of participating organizations. But that has all changed!

Federal employees now are able to designate Gun Owners Foundation (GOF) as the recipient of their gifts to the Combined Federal Campaign.

Use Agency Number 10042 for Gun Owners Foundation when you make your Combined Federal Campaign pledge or donation. Your gifts will go toward helping us win cases like the Heller II case which is coming just around the corner.

Also, if you work for a company that participates in the United Way, you too may be able to designate that your gift be to Gun Owners Foundation. Many local United Way Campaigns allow Gun Owners Foundation to participate through their Donor Choice Programs. Some, however, do not. Check with your local United Way Agency. You will not only be helping people and protecting your rights, but you will also get a tax deduction.

One additional note. If you are employed by a corporation or organization which has a Matching Gift Program, please keep GOF in mind when making your donation. Contributions to GOF are tax-deductible.

Your support for Gun Owners Foundation helps us to offer quality briefs in defense of gun owners' rights. (You can read previous amicus briefs on the GOF site at gunowners.com.)

So please help the Second Amendment –– while making a tax-deductible contribution either through the CFC or the United Way. Of course, you can always donate online at the Gun Owners Foundation site: http://www.gunowners.com/donate.htm

Thank you very much.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#19]

Waterfowlers to Benefit from New Partnership

Delta Waterfowl and the U. S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Join Forces to Recruit and Educate Future Hunters

(Columbus) –The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance announced today a partnership with the Delta Waterfowl Foundation to increase outdoor education with current and future waterfowl hunters and inform them of the challenges to their hunting heritage.

Through the partnership, Delta Waterfowl chapters will set up education stations as part of the U.S. Sportsmen’s Foundation’s signature Trailblazer Adventure Program. These stations will focus on waterfowl-hunting techniques (calling, decoy placement, blind setups, etc), waterfowl regulations, safety and ethics.

"Hunters have always been on the front lines of conservation, and this new partnership will help bring more youth hunters into to the fold to protect and preserve our culture and time-honored hunting heritage,” said Delta Waterfowl Senior Vice President John Devney.

Also as part of the new partnership, Delta Waterfowl has signed on to be part of the network created by the Sentry grassroots program. The No Cost Sentry Program unites sportsmen from coast to coast to confront threats to the outdoors lifestyle. Through instant electronic communications, "Sentries” can spread the word to thousands of sportsmen and sportswomen when threats emerge to their heritage and way of life.

http://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=240
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Hornady Named Ammunition

Manufacturer of the Year by NASGW

(Louisville, KY) – Hornady Manufacturing is honored to have been named the 2010 Ammunition Manufacturer of the Year by the National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers (NASGW), at an awards ceremony during the Annual Meeting and Expo in Louisville, Kentucky, November 3, 2010. More than 475 NASGW members attended the event.

"We are extremely honored to be chosen from amongst our peers by the NASGW, and would like to thank our customers for their recognition of our continual efforts to service the shooting sports industry,” said Steve Hornady, President of Hornady Manufacturing. "This award was made possible through the efforts of the many dedicated people who work for our company. Their contributions keep us on the cutting-edge of our industry, and being selected as the NASGW Ammunition Manufacturer of the Year is the direct result of our loyal and dedicated workforce.”

http://www.hornady.com/

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
ABOLISH THE BATFE

If you want to see what your newly-elected politicians are willing to tackle, let them know you want to see the "rogue agency" (called that by Congress) abolished.

The BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) inspections of gun dealers increases, and the inspectors often know nothing other than that they are there to find the slightest mistake –– not to do anything about public safety. This week the owner of a fine gun store told me he has had two full-scale inspections in the last two years. Each lasts several days and costs him several thousand dollars. Understand that this is not a dealer with a checkered past. He sells mostly nice shotguns –– up to $85,000 and beyond.

The BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) inspections of gun dealers increases, and the inspectors often know nothing other than that they are there to find the slightest mistake –– not to do anything about public safety. This week the owner of a fine gun store told me he has had two full-scale inspections in the last two years. Each lasts several days and costs him several thousand dollars. Understand that this is not a dealer with a checkered past. He sells mostly nice shotguns –– up to $85,000 and beyond.

He was cited during the last inspection. The crime? A gun buyer in his 80's got confused when filling out the paperwork and wrote "U.S.A." in the block where it asked for the county where he lived. "Country" and "County." Pretty easy to do, but for that, the dealer got cited by the feds. Several days of a government worker, staying at a high-end resort, spending a lot of tax dollars, only to punish a long-time gun store for this heinous crime.

Step one would be to abolish the entire agency of BATFE. This is, after all, the agency which had its expert tell (on video) ATF agents to always lie on the stand when testifying about the government's list of registered machine guns. This is the agency which handed out to its agents multi-tools (Leatherman) engraved with "Always Think Forfeiture." This is the agency which insisted that a malfunctioning semi-automatic rifle is a machine gun. After it tested David Olofson's rifle and found it to be "just a rifle," it then retested it with "soft primer" loads, and got it to fire more than once (can you say "slam fire"?) with a pull of the trigger. Mr. Olofson went to prison for two years. I've had a double-barrel shotgun fire both barrels with one pull of the single trigger. The ATF says this would be a machine gun, and for owning that malfunctioning shotgun, it would send me to prison.

Contact your incoming officials and call for the abolishment of the BATFE. Let's see how freedom-loving these new folks really are.

There are a few more links in this if anyone wants to read them IM me with email address and I will fwd it to you.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#22]

Phoenix Refuses Appeal to Reason as ‘Guns Save Lives, Educate Your Kids’ Officially Censored

Glimmer of hope after meeting evaporates as city refuses to budge.

Phoenix, Az ––(Ammoland.com)- It’s official. Gun safety has been censored.

After rounds of meetings and phone calls, the city of Phoenix, perhaps prophetically on Election Day, Tue., Nov. 2, passed final judgment and decided that censorship of our bus-stop advertisements would remain final. "Educate Your Kids” with the big red "Guns Save Lives” heart, which they tore down more than a week ago, were deemed unacceptable and would stay down. They blamed CBS Outdoor with the "error” for having put them up.

WorldNetDaily columnist Jeff Knox describes it perfectly — http://tiny.cc/y3vfy

We have a few options:

1. Tuck our tails between our legs, admit defeat, and promote the cause of gun safety, education and marksmanship elsewhere, denying cash-strapped Phoenix of revenue;

2. Write new ads in the hope that the city will approve of our words — but without clear guidelines on what the city will accept, and leaving us subject to their arbitrary case-by-case decision making, with unknown delays between our submission and their decrees;

3. Sue the bastages.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/09/guns-save-lives-educate-your-kids-officially-censored/

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]

MSNBC's new lineup includes avowed Marxist

Anchor Lawrence O'Donnell reveals: 'I am a socialist'

During an angry tirade over Democrat election losses, the host of the new MSNBC political show, "The Last Word," blurted out that he's a "socialist," while blasting colleagues for hiding behind less radical labels such as "liberal" or "progressive."

"I am a socialist," declared MSNBC anchor Lawrence O'Donnell. "I live to the extreme left of you liberals."

"Unlike you, I am not a progressive," O'Donnell barked at Greenwald. "I am not a liberal who's so afraid of the word that I had to change my name to progressive.

"Liberals amuse me," he said. "I am a socialist," he added. "I live to the extreme left, the extreme left of you mere liberals, OK?"

During his testy exchange, O'Donnell also revealed his agenda to "ban all guns in America."

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#24]

U.S. Marine Corps 235th Anniversary Marked Today

Today marks the 235th anniversary of the founding of the U.S. Marine Corps. At Tun Tavern in Philadelphia on November 10, 1775, the Marine Corps was formed. "For 235 years, at sea and ashore, Marines have succeeded in every clime and place where hardship and adversity have often been the common thread.” said Gen. James F. Amos, commandant of the Marine Corps in this year’s birthday message. "Today, in the rugged mountains and valleys of Afghanistan – and recently in the earthquake damaged Haiti, in flood-ravaged Pakistan, or off the coast of Africa, we continue to protect our nation, just as we did 60 years ago in Korea.”

Happy Birthday, Devil Dogs… and Semper Fi!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/u-s-marine-corps-235th-anniversary-marked-today/

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Have Gun, No Vote

The right to vote is an aspect of American life we all take for granted. We expect to be able to show up at our polling place every other fall and cast our ballot for the candidates we believe will best represent us in our local government, in the state legislature, or in Washington, DC. That is, unless you are a uniformed police officer attempting to exercise your right to vote at a voting precinct in Bangor, Maine supervised by an idiot.

James Dearing, a Bangor, Maine police officer, showed up two weeks ago – in his regular uniform — to cast an in-person absentee ballot at Bangor Civic Center; the only early voting location in the city. He had voted many times in the past with no problem.

Upon entering the polling place, however, Dearing was confronted by Wayne Mallar, the election warden, and told to surrender his weapon to another officer before he would be permitted to vote. Dearing declined, and was not allowed to cast his ballot.

http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010/11/10/have-gun-no-vote/?cxntfid=blogs_bob_barr_blog

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Boulder leaders give nod to immigration, gun issues

Boulder, once again, has jumped headfirst into the national debate about immigration, with the City Council giving an initial nod of approval to lobbying efforts aimed at reforming federal immigration laws.

The council on Tuesday night discussed a sweeping set of legislative goals for the coming year, including taking a stance on gun control, energy policy and rules for medical marijuana businesses.

In addition to immigration policies, the council heard from its policy adviser about proposals for the city to lobby for closing the federal gun-show loophole –– through which some states do not require criminal background checks at gun shows –– and to oppose any legislation that would expand Colorado's "Make My Day Law," which allows homeowners to use deadly force against intruders.

Read more: Boulder leaders give nod to immigration, gun issues - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_16568907#ixzz14vfmpc9j

DailyCamera.com

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Adobe Mountain Open House includes PD Credits

Each year, with help from the Heritage Fund, the Adobe Mountain Wildlife Center cares for more than 1,000 sick and injured native wildlife, and provides wildlife education and outreach to schools and community groups across Arizona.

On Saturday, November 20 and Sunday, November 21, we are opening the doors of the Wildlife Center and allowing the public to learn about this wildlife as well as the conservation education programs the Arizona Game and Fish Department offers. This FREE event will take place from 10am-3pm on both days and will feature:

Live wildlife education programs

Self-guided tours of the facility

An opportunity to learn about fishing and casting

Boating law and safety information

Hunter education program information

NEW THIS YEAR: Teachers who attend the event on Saturday will have the opportunity to earn up to 3.5 hours of professional development continuing education credit. Educators will experience hands-on lessons and exciting presentations, all of which can be brought back to the classroom to improve student learning.

So, attend this FREE public event with your family and earn professional development credit at the same time!

The Adobe Mountain Wildlife Center is located in north Phoenix. From downtown, take I-17 north to Pinnacle Peak (exit 217). Head west on Pinnacle Peak. Turn right into the Adobe Mountain Juvenile Center and proceed to the special event parking.

No reservations are required. However, teachers will only get credit for attending on Saturday! Training will be completely customized for each individual participant and will be offered in a "choose your own adventure" style. You attend only those portions you think are relevant, and receive credit based on the specific activities and trainings attended.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Tactical Watch with Full-Featured Horus Ballistics Calculator

Just when we thought we’d seen everything, Horus Vision has teamed up with 5.11 to create a wristwatch with a built-in ballistics calculator. Priced at $199.95, the 5.11 Ballistics Field Watch incorporates the Horus Vision SureShot™ ballistic calculator, plus a digital compass to indicate direction and degree. The watch has a molded polycarbonate body, offered in three color choices: black, olive drab, and coyote tan. Equipped with a backlight for night use, the 5.11 Field Watch also features dual time zones, a stopwatch, a countdown timer, and alarm.

http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/watchdemo.html

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/tactical-watch-with-full-featured-horus-ballistics-calculator/

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#29]

FREE Downloadable Classic Shooting and Firearms Books

In today’s economy, Free is good. Here’s a list of older shooting books that can be downloaded for FREE from Google Books. This list, created by German Salazar, includes many classic treatises on marksmanship that still have value for today’s competitive shooters. In addition, we’ve included illustrated firearm histories, such as Townsend Whelen’s fascinating book, The American Rifle.

Our free book list, first published last December, was so popular that we’re reprising the list today. CLICK HERE to read full book descriptions. In the list below, the title link will take you to the Google Books page for each book. You can read the entire book online, or you can download it to your computer as a PDF file and save it (or print it). You can also create your own Google Library and save the books there for access from any computer.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/free-downloadable-classic-shooting-and-firearms-books/

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#30]

As we noted in the Sept. 24, 2010 Grassroots Alert, a draft report prepared by the Justice Department Inspector General had called into question the BATFE’s mega-million-dollar Project Gunrunner program. Established in 2007, this program sought to expand the agency’s firearm tracing operation, relative to the still uncertain amount of smuggling of firearms from the United States to Mexico. This week, the report appeared in final form.

Like the draft, the final report notes that despite Project Gunrunner’s lavish funding, the program suffers because the BATFE fails to coordinate with its own people, with those of the Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, and with Mexican officials.

"We also found no routine sharing of firearms trafficking-related information and techniques between ATF intelligence personnel in Southwest border locations and in the ATF Mexico Country Office,” the report says. "ATF and ICE do not work together effectively on investigations of firearms trafficking to Mexico. . . . ATF does not systematically and consistently exchange intelligence with its Mexican and some U.S. partner agencies.”

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6076

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Why did ATF issue—and then rescind—a ruling declaring air guns ‘firearms’?

Breaking News: Between the time I began composing today’s Gun Rights Examiner column and finishing it, Mike Vanderboegh reported ATF has rescinded their ruling declaring selected Airsoft-type guns as firearms. What in the world is going on, and how is the bureau so out of control they can issue top level directives under the signature of their acting head guy, and then pull it back with no detailed explanation?

Per Vanderboegh:

The ATF Pressroom admitted to me by phone this morning that ATF Ruling 2010-4…has been rescinded!

I’ve decided to go ahead and present what I wrote before this news broke as an object lesson in the Bureau’s unchecked machinations—and the impact they can have on the lives, property and liberty of Americans who are simply enjoying their freedom and minding their own business.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/why-did-atf-issue-and-then-rescind-a-ruling-declaring-air-guns-firearms

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Vintage Sniper Test Match a Big Success at Western Games Set to Become Newest CMP Games Match at Camp Perry in 2011

By Steve Cooper, CMP Writer

PHOENIX, ARIZONA – Having passed muster at the 2010 CMP Eastern and Western Games, the Vintage Sniper Match has been approved as the newest match and will be sponsored by Hornady Manufacturing at the 2011 CMP National Trophy and CMP Games Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio.

The match is a challenging prone slow-fire, two-person team event, fired at 300 and 600 yards using scoped vintage military rifles of the Korean War era and earlier. After firing sighters at the 300-yard line, both team members get an opportunity to fire 10 shots at a target that is exposed for only 20 seconds per shot. Targets are pulled and marked after each shot and the target rises again after a 20-second period. The team’s observer/coach may call out sight adjustments or "Kentucky Windage” corrections as needed prior to the following shot until firing is complete.

http://www.odcmp.org/1110/default.asp?page=2010WVINTAGESNIPER
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Obama Picks a Director For the A.T.F.

Nearly two years into his term, President Obama on Monday finally chose a director for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Mr. Obama will submit the name of Andrew Taver, the special agent in charge of the bureau’s Chicago field division, to the Senate for consideration, the White House said. He may face a confirmation fight; after Congress changed the position to make it one requiring Senate confirmation, President George W. Bush’s nominee was blocked by senators who used it to criticize the enforcement of gun laws against firearms dealers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/us/16brfs-OBAMAPICKSAD_BRF.html?_r=4

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]

There's an old saying that American freedom stands upon three boxes: the soap box, the ballot box, and the ammunition box.

That's a metaphorical way of describing three essential freedoms that are the guardians of liberty: the right to free speech, the right to free and fair elections, and the right to keep and bear arms.

To many on the right, those freedoms are under attack, and have been for years, by the left.

Also, for years, the right to keep and bear arms has been under attack. The stupid "assault weapons ban" was probably one of the dumber laws ever passed –– it was best described as "the scary-looking guns ban." Firearms were outlawed based not on their misuse by criminals or killing potential, but purely cosmetic elements that had no bearing on helping kill innocents.

President Obama himself has signaled that he's no 2nd Amendment champion. He's backed arguments that the 2nd Amendment is a "collective right," and not an individual right (making it the only place in the Constitution where "the people" does not refer to individuals), and his party has earned the title of "gun-grabbers."

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2010/11/15/dont-box-me-in.php

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#35]

High court upholds added sentences for use of guns in drug crimes

Kagan abstains due to prior work

WASHINGTON — People convicted of possessing a gun while selling drugs are subject to five-year mandatory minimum sentences on top of most other sentences, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday.

The ruling was the first signed decision of the term, and it was unanimous. But the court’s newest member, Justice Elena Kagan, did not participate, having disqualified herself in light of her work as United States solicitor general.

The decision involved two defendants whose cases had been consolidated. One of them, Kevin Abbott of Philadelphia, was convicted of drug trafficking, a related gun charge with the five-year minimum, and under a law requiring a 15-year minimum sentence for career criminals. Only the latter two charges figured in his sentence, and the trial judge added them together for a total of 20 years.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2010/11/16/high_court_upholds_added_sentences_for_use_of_guns_in_drug_crimes/?rss_id=Boston.com+––+Top+political+stories

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#36]

‘Winning firearms freedom, one lawsuit at a time’

Ten years is a very long time, during which a political landscape can change, and so can the judicial arena.

Ten years ago, if someone had suggested that the politically-fashionable handgun bans in Washington, D.C. and Chicago could be struck down on Second Amendment grounds, he might have been laughed out of town. Today, a herd of municipal attorneys for cities and towns large and small are paying a lot closer attention to firearms regulations.

Following the Second Amendment Foundation’s victory over the City of Chicago, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced his plan to "relax” the Big Apple’s Draconian gun laws a bit. The Supreme Court didn’t strike down Chicago’s gun ban, but the city quickly adopted a new gun regulation – ridiculously complicated and restrictive as it is – that at least on paper recognizes that a total handgun ban is no longer allowable in this country. SAF followed up on the Heller ruling with a lawsuit against the District of Columbia over its gun regulations.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/winning-firearms-freedom-one-lawsuit-at-a-time

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Handy Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life

How long will a barrel last before the accuracy "goes south”? There are so many variables involved (powder type, bore diameter, bullet coatings etc.) that it’s hard to predict. You might say "Well, my buddy has a .243 and he got 1500 rounds before the throat was shot out” — those kind of comparisons can be useful, but they’re not very scientific, and they won’t help much if you’ve got a gun in a new chambering (such as the 6.5×47) for which long-term test results are lacking.

Is there a more reliable way to predict barrel life — one that will work for a broad range of calibers? Well, Forum member MikeCr has developed an Excel spreadsheet that accounts for a number of variables, and gives a pretty good estimate of useful barrel life, whether you’re shooting a .223 Rem or a 338 Lapua Magnum. Mike’s program predicts barrel life using five variables: 1) Bullet Diameter; 2) Powder Charge weight; 3) Powder Heat Potential (KJ/kg); 4) Pressure (in psi); and 5) Bullet Coating (yes/no). Mike provides a table with Heat Potential ratings for most popular powder types. The user needs to know the pressure of his load. This can be estimated with QuickLOAD.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/handy-excel-formula-predicts-useful-barrel-life/

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#38]

National Ammo Day is November 19th

Friday, November 19, is National Ammo Day, a day when gun-owners are encouraged to purchase at least 100 rounds of ammunition. National Ammo Day is an annual BUYcott event, a grassroots demonstration of the numbers of committed American firearms owners. There are an estimated 75 MILLION gun owners in the United States of America. If each gun owner or Second Amendment supporter buys 100 rounds of ammunition, that’s 7.5 BILLION rounds in the hands of law-abiding citizens!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/national-ammo-day-is-november-19th-2/
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:52:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#39]

Leupold Factory Tour Video — Plus Counterfeit Scope Warning

Leupold Issues Warning About Counterfeit MK4 Scopes

In related news, Leupold has issued a "customer alert” regarding counterfeit Leupold scopes illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These products bear many of the marks and trade dress of current Leupold riflescopes making them very hard to distinguish from authentic Leupold products.

Counterfeited Leupold Mark 4® riflescopes have begun to arrive with increasing regularity at Leupold’s headquarters for service. These products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. Leupold employs serial number tracking for all its riflescopes, so if you have a suspect scope, call 1-800-LEUPOLD with the SN, and Leupold can immediately confirm whether the optic is genuine or not.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/leupold-factory-tour-video-plus-counterfeit-scope-warning/

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#40]

ATF position on pistol grip 'shotguns' creates new danger

An interpretation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that pistol grip shotguns are not shotguns has created an unforeseen legal liability for owners of such firearms. ATF’s Nov. 2009 FFL Newsletter declared:

Certain commercially produced firearms do not fall within the definition of shotgun under the GCA even though they utilize a shotgun shell for ammunition. For example, firearms that come equipped with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA.

Here’s another wrinkle, from Mike Vanderboegh at Sipsey Street Irregulars:

An October 27, 2010, letter from the Firearms Technology Branch ruled that such a firearm, with a 17" barrel and 26-1/4" overall length, was not subject to the National Firearms Act.

Link Posted: 11/16/2010 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#41]

ATF testimony admits many unregistered machine guns allowed by ruling

Testimony in the case of US v ONE HISTORIC ARMS MACHINE GUN revealed there are untold numbers of unregistered machine guns currently owned by Americans that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives not only knows about, but actually created the conditions whereby this situation exists.

Let me draw your attention to the sworn testimony of one Richard Vasquez, ATF Assistant Chief, Firearms Technology Branch… from a deposition on 10 September 2009…

The relevant testimony excerpt is included in the sidebar slide accompanying this column. The relevant ATF ruling to consult is 82-8. And the relevant information to take away from that is this:

The National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b), defines a machine gun to include any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/atf-testimony-admits-many-unregistered-machine-guns-allowed-by-ruling

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#42]

"Our constitution guarantees a right to keep and bear arms, but not to keep guns secret from the government or possess military style weapons and high capacity magazines”

When the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Washington, D.C.’s handgun ban in the Heller case, the District’s Dems rushed through a package of restrictive gun laws. According to bloomberg.com, "Washington requires residents who want to keep a gun at home to be fingerprinted and photographed by police [what about the gun owner?], provide a five-year work history, and note their intended use of the weapon. Residents must register every firearm they own every three years. Applicants must allow police to run ballistic tests on each gun they register. Firearms defined by the city as assault weapons and magazines that hold more than 10 bullets are banned.” [Click here for the official drill.] Not to mention the $60 fee or the District’s ban on open carry or the impossibility of getting a concealed carry permit. Anyway, yesterday, Heller lawyer Stephen Halbrook asked a three-judge appeals court to tell D.C. to cut that shit out . . .

The D.C. solicitor general said MYODB. Of course, I’m paraphrasing. But this is the watershed moment for gun rights. If the federal judges rule against D.C.’s new regs, the loophole opened by the Supremes in the McDonald decision—allowing for "reasonable restrictions”—will start to close. Once again, Chicago will be next. And then everywhere else.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/11/robert-farago/our-constitution-guarantees-a-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms-but-not-to-keep-guns-secret-from-the-government-or-possess-military-style-weapons-and-high-capacity-magazines/
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Obama names anti-gun extremist as next BATFE head

Well, it's official (if misspelled, in the New York Times)––Andrew Traver is President Obama's choice to be the BATFE's next Supreme Leader:

Nearly two years into his term, President Obama on Monday finally chose a director for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Mr. Obama will submit the name of Andrew Taver [sic], the special agent in charge of the bureau’s Chicago field division, to the Senate for consideration, the White House said.

This, no doubt, will immensely please the Brady Campaign, who will probably try to imply that it was their complaining––and complaining (pdf file)––that inspired this action.

That Traver's would be the name eventually submitted has been suspected for months, with the first (to my knowledge) to bring up the possibility being Mike Vanderboegh, back in early July. In that post, Mr. Vanderboegh documented some of Traver's hostility to the right to keep and bear arms:

But there is more to Traver than selfless service to his community. He is an anti-firearm rights zealot. He is on record as opposing so-called "assault rifles" in the hands of citizens. Worse, he is a prominent member of the virulently anti-firearm International Association of Chiefs of Police.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-st-louis/obama-names-anti-gun-extremist-as-next-batfe-head

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Some Question Gun Enthusiasts' Black Friday Walk Downtown

INDIANAPOLIS ––
A group of gun enthusiasts is being urged to abandon plans to hold a demonstration in Indianapolis in an effort to raise awareness about Second Amendment rights.

Discussions online indicate some gun owners plan to openly carry rifles and handguns around Monument Circle on the day after Thanksgiving, 6News' Joanna Massee reported.

According to a flier that will be handed out by participants, the purpose of the walk is to, "educate our fellow Hoosiers about our rights to lawfully keep and bear arms."

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25817553/detail.html
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Would Allowing Students to Carry Weapons Make College Campuses Safer?

America has become haunted by the specter of deadly school shootings. As we all work to prevent further tragedy, some are advocating allowing students to carry concealed firearms as a means of defense. But would such measures really make college campuses safer?

http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/would-allowing-students-to-carry-weapons-make-college-campuses-safer

This is an interesting webpage as both sides of this argument are represented, I suggest we all take a look at this to bone up on what is being put out to promote the Anti gun position.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Potterfields Donate $1.6 Million to Scholastic Shooting Foundation

Larry and Brenda Potterfield of MidwayUSA have donated $1.6 Million to the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation to support youth shooting programs. The Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation (SSSF) is an educational-athletic organization that exists to introduce school-age youths to the clay target sports and to facilitate their continued involvement by providing, promoting, and perpetuating opportunities to safely and enjoyably participate and compete in a high-quality, team-based sport led by trained adult coaches focused on enhancing the personal growth and development of their athletes.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/potterfields-donate-1-6-million-to-scholastic-shooting-foundation/

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#47]

National Ammo Day

National Ammo Day is an annual event that promotes the idea that everyone should check their ammo supplies at least once a year... on November 19.

Ammo Day is a BUYcott, a grassroots movement that encourages people to buy at least 100 rounds of ammunition on a specific day to:

1. Make legislation that overly taxes ammunition irrelevant (because everyone has stockpiles to see them through the reversal of this type of legislation).

2. Sends a signal that there are millions of law-abiding citizens who own guns (who own lots of ammo) and, by the way, those millions of law-abiding citizens didn't kill anyone today.

3. A way for Americans to let our representatives know that we value businesses that produce ammunition.

There are an estimated 75 MILLION gun owners in the United States of America. If each gun owner or Second Amendment supporter buys 100 rounds of ammunition, that’s 7.5 BILLION rounds in the hands of law-abiding citizens!

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Obama could appoint Traver to head ATF without Senate approval

President Obama could exploit his power to make temporary appointments during the end of year adjournment of Congress and bypass Senate approval of Andrew Traver to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. A discussion of the nominee and his anti-gun credentials was presented as a supplement to yesterday’s Gun Rights Examiner column. Here’s another development:

The Bradys are for him. That alone disqualifies Traver from acceptability for gun rights advocates.

Here’s another potential danger explained in a "Frequently Asked Questions" report by Congressional Research Service:

Under the Constitution (Article II, Section 2, clause 2), the President and the Senate share the power to make appointments to high-level policy-making positions in federal departments, agencies, boards, and commissions. Generally, the President nominates individuals to these positions, and the Senate must confirm them before he can appoint them to office. The Constitution also provides an exception to this process. When the Senate is in recess, the President may make a temporary appointment, called a recess appointment, to any such position without Senate approval (Article II, Section 2, clause 3).

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Brady Campaign endorsed ‘gun criminal’ legislator

"Drug offenses, gun charges, theft and drunken driving turned up in the backgrounds of some state lawmakers when the entire Pennsylvania General Assembly was checked against public records, news accounts and other sources,” Mark Scolforo of the Associated Press reports.

One in particular stands out:

The most extensive arrest record the AP search turned up belonged to Rep. John Myers, D-Philadelphia. His only conviction was a February 1987 guilty plea to having an unlicensed .38-caliber handgun, with an obliterated serial number, concealed in his vehicle, according to court records. He was sentenced to 15 months' probation.

Myers also was charged in Philadelphia with assault with intent to kill in 1972, and marijuana possession in 1980, but both cases were dismissed. He was accused of shooting at someone in Philadelphia in 1981, but was acquitted.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#50]

"The general population are intimidated by firearms, so why cause a problem?”

Open Carry demonstrations continue to draw criticism, both from people who abhor firearms and people who don’t want people to abhor firearms. This time ’round the debate’s in the great state of Indiana. "Discussions online [at indianashooter.com] indicate some gun owners plan to openly carry rifles and handguns around Monument Circle on the day after Thanksgiving,” theindychannel.com reports. "According to a flier that will be handed out by participants, the purpose of the walk is to, ‘educate our fellow Hoosiers about our rights to lawfully keep and bear arms.’” The "Black Friday” event fits the usual non-strident, loosely organized template for open carry demos. But it’s still got some (ostensibly?) pro-gun folks twitchy . . .

City-County Councilor Ed Coleman said he is a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights but has concerns about the walk.

"I urge this group to reconsider their actions,” he said via e-mail. "I don’t think it will have the desired effect that they are looking for.”

Mike Hilton, of Pop Guns, called the plan asinine.

"It’s kind of cowboy action. It’s little children playing,” he said. "The general population are intimidated by firearms, so why cause a problem?”

Page / 9
Firearms news of note (Page 4 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top