Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2004 4:00:50 PM EDT
Spent the last 2 months completing a move of my family from TN to NH.  Found a house in Claremont and have had all the furniture and other household goods sent up - Once I got the gun safes in the house, I felt alot better!

I'm looking for places to shoot and if anyone knows of a good shop in the area - I'm 30 min. south of Lebanon.

Any local info would be appreciated.

Andy
Link Posted: 11/27/2004 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Alstead Gun Shop is south of you and there is one in Charlestown who's name escapes me right now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Spent the last 2 months completing a move of my family from TN to NH.  Found a house in Claremont and have had all the furniture and other household goods sent up - Once I got the gun safes in the house, I felt alot better!

I'm looking for places to shoot and if anyone knows of a good shop in the area - I'm 30 min. south of Lebanon.

Any local info would be appreciated.

Andy

Welcome aboard!

I used to live in Lebanon and there is a range there:

West Lebanon
Grafton County Fish & Game Association
603-448-6544
Outdoor Pistol (50 yds), Indoor Pistol (50 ft),
P.O. Box 5029, West Lebanon, NH 03784
Outdoor Rifle (100 yds), Indoor Rifle (50 ft),
Muzzleloading, Trap, Skeet, Sporting, Clays, Airgun

www.huntingnavigator.com/srnh1.htm

I used to belong to the club before I moved here to the Lakes Region.  Ask around about sand pits.  There are a lot of them around and see if you can get permission to shoot at one.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, did you move to the right AO! Beautiful country up there.
Welcome to New England!
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Xanadu,  I too just moved to NH from CO.  I like it alot so far.  My step mothers mother lives in Claremont, and I'm in Francestown.  Let's get together sometime--VT
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Grafton County Fish and Game club is an excellent facility. Relatively inexpensive to belong to - great ranges. Uncrowded mostly.

Welch's Gun Shop in Lebanon is a good place. Good variety. Talk to Lyla. Good folks.

This is an area where you can often just go out in the boonies and shoot stuff. We're used to firearms since hunting is still a well established tradition (meaning, if you don't hunt, we don't easily trust you until you prove yourself )

Sandpits, as noted, are good spots to pop off a few rounds. Backyard ranges are common. Make friends with the locals. Check the classifieds - lots of gun ads and often the sellers shoot locally.

South of Claremont is total boonies. East of Claremont  (until you get near Sunapee) is total boonies. Check out StoneEagle in Newport. Some nice rifles there.  North is relative boonies until you hit Lebanon and West Lebanon but thats all relative if you are used to Real Cities. West is Vermont.  Not much over there either. We like it that way.

Please do us a favor and follow these simple guidlines for NH residency:

1) Don't post your land. They do that elsewhere and it causes all sorts of problems. You'll be amazed at the pleasant interaction you'll have up here if you just relax and let local tradition prevail. You'll have fewer problems with unposted land than with posted. Guaranteed. Try it.

2) Don't vote for liberal, down-country transplants who are trying to make NH just like "whereever the hell city they came from" like Peter Burling, et al. People like Burling need to go back to Taxachussets. Vote for them and soon NH will have income tax, sales tax and gun laws.

3) Don't drive like a maniac. We dont like that. Slow down.

4) Report corner drug dealers to the cops. We like that.

5) Buy local. We grow organic, free-range brocoli just like Kalifornia.

6) Use NH maple syrup on your pancakes.

Thats all we ask
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks,

I had a nice conversation last night with a young man that has just shown an interest in my 17yr old daughter, the topic was " Why do all the SUV's that fly by me have Mass tags"

Good info  - thanks again
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to NH.

Don't let the MAssholes bite....
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Welcome to NH.

Don't let the MAssholes bite....

Ummm...not all Bay Staters are MAssholes....

..at least, we try not to be.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Xanadu, VtgunctrlAntiMeuSwhatever:

Welcome to NH gentlemen!

We're always delighted to have another gun-owning freedom-loving new resident!

Link Posted: 12/14/2004 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Live Free or Die

That ought to be the USA motto - not just NH's
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me offer one more welcome  and recomend  Stone Eagle in Newport NH
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Feel free to visit Massachusetts as well- despite the wacky liberal inhabitants of the Boston/Rte. 128 area, who ruin it for the rest of us natives, it's a pretty neat place, and the history of our nation's founding and of the American Revolution is everywhere. Lots to see and do, and best of all, you get to leave and go home to someplace free.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Let me offer one more welcome  and recomend  Stone Eagle in Newport NH

Thanks, I saw his display at the Lebanon gun show last month - lets just say that I miss Middle Tennessee Gun shows - they were HUGE in comparison.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Feel free to visit Massachusetts as well- despite the wacky liberal inhabitants of the Boston/Rte. 128 area, who ruin it for the rest of us natives, it's a pretty neat place, and the history of our nation's founding and of the American Revolution is everywhere. Lots to see and do, and best of all, you get to leave and go home to someplace free.

I used to live in Hartford CT and visited Boston on business every week for a year.  I've had enough Dorchester to last me a lifetime (but I did like the Faniul (sp) Hall area).  My Sister in law lived in Quincy and I spent many nights there wondering what the attraction was all about.

Live Free or Die, I like it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Hi:

My wife and I moved to NH from East Hartford, CT.  I must admit, NH is a better place to live than CT, except that we left some really excellent friends there.  Can't get them to live free.

I've met lots of nice gun people here; unfortunately, the State (as is everywhere) is littered with some folks I wish I had not met!!!

If you are looking for a good bunch of shooters and people, go down to Nashua Fish & Game Club, Inc..  They have a variety of ranges and their highpower rifle range goes out to 600 yards!!!

Finally, get to the town hall and register to vote.  With the influx of anti-gun folks from the State to the South, we need all the pro-gunners registered to vote and active at the polls on election days.

Good luck.

Gurrie Fandozzi

PS: Unless your family line has been in New Hampshire for 200+ years, you are just visiting the State and are NOT a resident.  Just remember: we have to make a start for our families.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
(snip)
PS: Unless your family line has been in New Hampshire for 200+ years, you are just visiting the State and are NOT a resident.  Just remember: we have to make a start for our families.

Boy, THAT is the truth. I lived for a little while in Freedom, NH, near the ME border in the late 1980s. Unless you already know somebody there, nobody is going to go out of their way to even say hello. Unless you're from there, you're tagged as a liberal tax-and spend flatlander. (And all too often, Granite Staters are right....) But in fairness, in the hilltowns of NW MA, people act the same way toward outsiders moving in.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome aboard.  I'm in Portland, ME.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to NH!

You are in a nice area, not sure about it beeing boonies all around you though. It's all relative. The North Country is boonies.

Lebanon/Hanover gets a touch liberal but just relax and enjoy!!

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh come on not all of us hilltowners here in MA are like that!!!!!!!! I was only accepted because of my husband, and his family has lived here for over 200 years. Alot of the problem is the ones that move to the hilltowns and then want their city services. Or one of our most recent one was the yuppies trying to put restrictions on our farmers and families that owned gravel banks. That is the fastest way to piss of the hilltowners,and yes it will divide the town,but we all gave a good smack down too. Nothing like watching a bunch of liberals cry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top