BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2009 5:18:43 AM EDT
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=108378&catid=14

Muskegon couple shoots feral pigs: Warning - graphic images
Posted By: WZZM 13 ONLINE Posted By: Sarah  Sell  
 49 mins ago
DALTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) - Wildlife experts from the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy say the feral pig is the most serious environmental threat we've had in Michigan in a long time. Recently, several of the wild animals were spotted and killed in Muskegon County. One of them weighed over 500 pounds.

The discovery was made at the home of Jim and Tina Boes in Dalton Township. "When they came through, there were eight of them and the mother was leading the whole pack", says Tina.

The group of pigs was hanging out across the pond from the Boes' home. "And we went and got a gun, then went down and went into the woods."

Tina and her husband shot four of feral pigs. The biggest was 6 feet 3 inches and weighed a whopping 514 pounds. Tina says it's the same pig she encountered two years ago when it almost attacked her dog. "And when my dog got out of the way, she turned and charged me. That's a big pig. What would she have done to me? I'm told the teeth are razor sharp and can cut you like a knife."

Wildlife experts consider feral pigs to be a threat to the environment. They are not native to the area and are often shipped to local game farms. "I'm told what they are the ones that escaped from local game ranches. They are inter-breeding."

The feral pigs have been seen and documented in several Michigan counties. This is the first time in Muskegon County.

Wildlife experts say there is a demand for the pigs at game farms because they are a cheaper alternative when it comes to hunting wild game. Some would like to see the Michigan legislature make it illegal to bring them into the state.

The wild pigs cause about eight million dollars in crop damage around the United States each year and there are about five-thousand feral pigs loose in Michigan. In most counties, anyone with a hunting license can shoot an unlimited number of feral pigs.

AP
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
damm,i'de love to have a few of those sobs come through my backyard
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Would love to find me some piggy!!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I read on the DNR site last year that feral pigs have been found in almost every county in the state. I would love to go on a hog hunt. I could be wrong, but I am not even sure that you need a license to take them.

Mike F

ETA: Here is the DNR page. I didn't read it yet, so my info above may be inaccurate.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-155439––,00.html

ETA 2: I tried the link above and it gives me a weird error. I don't know what is up with that. You can go to www.michigan.gov/dnr/ and type "feral swine" in the search box for all kinds of info.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
At minimum you do need a small game license ($14 a year) to hunt them.  DNR has to get their money ya know.  Deer license good also during season.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Did I hear that right that she went and got the .22?

She may want to pick up a 338 for future pig encounters of that size.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Oops...
I say tough titty.  You should have a better enclosure than that.  Watch the video and see what I mean...Good eatin'
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=108759&catid=14

eta. I guess thee is no video but the placve the pigs were kept looked like a ruin...to say the least.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope the Judge throws out the case. What an idiot. Your animals get out and go on someones property, theyre shootable. If they are feral than the law allows to shoot on sight. If they were domestic then you can shoot them too. I believe the law says something about trying to find the owner first or being on your property for so many hours. I gotta dig that one up.

If they were his feral or a cross the owner can be charged.
MCL287.731(6) A person shall not import or release live feral swine or any crosses of feral swine in this state for any purpose without permission from the director.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
From the DNR website FAQ.  

Why aren’t all of Michigan’s counties open to the taking of feral swine?

Feral swine are not defined as wildlife. Swine are agricultural products.

Determining whether a swine is a feral animal or a temporarily escaped farm

animal is virtually impossible unless the animal is marked in some visible manner.

It is up to the individual county prosecutor to authorize the taking of feral swine.

Prosecution for the taking of feral swine is still a possibility in counties where

such permission has not been granted.

Almost all of MI lower peninsula is open to swine.  And that includes Muskegon county.  If you see a pig out and about you are legal to shoot it.  Sorry but the farmer can GFO and get a better pen for his pigs next time.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From the DNR website FAQ.  

Why aren’t all of Michigan’s counties open to the taking of feral swine?

Feral swine are not defined as wildlife. Swine are agricultural products.
Determining whether a swine is a feral animal or a temporarily escaped farm
animal is virtually impossible unless the animal is marked in some visible manner.
It is up to the individual county prosecutor to authorize the taking of feral swine.
Prosecution for the taking of feral swine is still a possibility in counties where
such permission has not been granted.

Almost all of MI lower peninsula is open to swine.  And that includes Muskegon county.  If you see a pig out and about you are legal to shoot it.  Sorry but the farmer can GFO and get a better pen for his pigs next time.

Yeah no shit man!  Seriously, you should have seen the shithole pen he had set up for them.  It's obvious they have gotten out before as tehre were various "patches" in the hodge podge fencing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, thats not too far from my property
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top