Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 6:36:28 PM EDT
I've decided that I needed a new hobby so I'm trying my hand at welding. So what to make out of steel, I wondered. One thing I came up with is these stands for holding 1x2's to which targets can be stapled:

They're made from 1 1/2" x 3/16" bar stock and 1"x2" 11 gauge tubular stock. As you can see, they can be folded up flat for storage. Since a 1x2 is too big to fit tightly into the tube, I drilled 2 holes in each and welded on a 5/16 nut with a bolt to hold the 1x2 in place. 11 gauge isn't thick enough to tap for threads. The holes on the bar stock are for a tent peg or something like that to keep it in place. The spacing between the 1x2's is 18", based on the standard IPSC targets I had laying around.

[Edited to add]: Notice the cool custom Krylon paint color!!

I can't claim complete originality, having seen something like it at Arizona Shooters. But hey - mine's custom designed too, right ?

If you look at their Heavy duty stand - I can build that too, for less than $36 for sure. The only question is if I can come up with a good way to allw the angle iron pieces to detach so that it's more portable and easier to ship.

1) Would you be interested in something like this ?
2) If so, what would represent a fair price to you ? I was thinking $15 for the simple target stand, and $20 for the "Heavy Duty".

Just curious. Depending on the outcome of this sampling of my Texas compatriots, I might:
1) Expand into a vast empire of target stand manufacturing, ruthlessly crushing all those around me,
2) Build a few for people who want them, or
3) Longingly fondle my welder until I come up with something more useful.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool!

I could see the use for those.  I just have to figure out how many I need.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like a great stand.  You could save some time by not using the set screws on the sides.  I have stand much like these and have never had any problem with the 1X2's coming out.  the biggest problem with stands like these is that they blow over.  What you might think about is holes that you could drive re-bar through or some kind of stake.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Look good, thumbscrews with wingnut heads would save time too.

Welding is a great hobby, just protect you and your eyes.

Danny

P.S. OOOPS, I did not notice it was TX hometown. My brother is in Tx. please forgive. The stands still look good.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
looks like a great stand.  You could save some time by not using the set screws on the sides.  I have stand much like these and have never had any problem with the 1X2's coming out.  the biggest problem with stands like these is that they blow over.  What you might think about is holes that you could drive re-bar through or some kind of stake.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Someone didn't read my description. It does have holes for tent stakes. Look again. Or were you thinking of something else ?

I haven't used them yet, so yeah - the setscrew might be overkill. Someone else mentioned winghead screws - I could not find those at Home Depot or Lowes. Go figure. The regular hex-head screws can be tightened by hand easily enough - they don't have to be torqued down.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
They look excellent to me.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Follow-up:

Do the prices sound reasonable ?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Follow-up:

Looks good.  The wing screws are called "wing nuts".  They will be at Home Depot, just look in the nut section!  wow, that was stupidly funny, but true...

IM out
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Great looking target stands!
Your prices are very reasonable.
Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
They look good.  I do have one suggestion though--weld a piece of 2x2 angle to the side of the 1x2 so that the corner of the angle is pointing in the direction of the shooter.  By side I mean the 2" side, as this will deflect a bullet away from the 1x2.  I have seen stands made with 1x2 tube and the first time a bullet strikes the side of the 1x2 the stick is in there for a loooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg time.  You really don't need the set screws as the sticks will not come out under normal conditions.  Great idea and good luck with it.  Make sure you are not infringing(sp) on any patent rights of Az Shooters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They look good.  I do have one suggestion though--weld a piece of 2x2 angle to the side of the 1x2 so that the corner of the angle is pointing in the direction of the shooter.  By side I mean the 2" side, as this will deflect a bullet away from the 1x2.  I have seen stands made with 1x2 tube and the first time a bullet strikes the side of the 1x2 the stick is in there for a loooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg time.  You really don't need the set screws as the sticks will not come out under normal conditions.  Great idea and good luck with it.  Make sure you are not infringing(sp) on any patent rights of Az Shooters.

The 2x2 is not a bad idea. I don't think there's much to worry about patent infringements. There are several similar version for sale on the web. [Edited to add]: Just out of curiosity, I checked the Patent Office Database for "taget stand". None of the relevant hits came close to this concept. It's probably too simple to patent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The prices seem very fair to me.  I also say lose the thumbscrews and add the angle iron deflectors.  You could also put a length of rebar in the space behind the angle iron for some more protection.

Simple things do get patented.  Fish hooks, the Frisbee, and the Hoola Hoop come to mind.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
OK. I'll add the deflectors on version 1.1 for $1 more. I have three v1.0 ready to go, but have just bought some angle iron stock to make version 2.0. I'll post a picture once I finish one this weekend.

Damn tubular stock just went up 40 cents/foot when I bought some more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Any chance you could make a bullet trap? You know for clearing and loading guns indoors?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Follow-up:

Oops! Meant to add that in my post... prices seem good to me.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a "heavy duty" version some people have asked for - or at least my interpretation of what it should be:

This one is made from angle iron, has bullet deflectors on the uprights and is width adjustable to 18", 21" and 24". The angle iron is 3/16" thick, which is very strong. I've gotten rid of the setscrews for holding the 1x2's based on several peoples' recommendations, and that seems to work just fine. [Edited to add:] There's a 1/2" hole on the end of each bottom rail for securing the base in case of strond winds - the stand itself is quite heavy though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
looking good....shouldnt you consider maybe some base plates on the four ends on the bottom though? im thinking a decent wind gust could knock one over since you got rid of the bottom screw
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
looking good....shouldnt you consider maybe some base plates on the four ends on the bottom though? im thinking a decent wind gust could knock one over since you got rid of the bottom screw

The setscrew was for keeping the 1x2's tight in the rectangular tubing. There's a 1/2" hole at the end of each bottom rail to allow a tent stake to be used to secore the base.

On the other hand - these things are quite heavy - there's a lot of steel in there. Can't imagine them tipping over, but I suppose it could happen.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
my mistake....i was thinking theyd be lighter
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:18:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The bullet deflectors ar exactly what I was describing to you in my first post and it looks like you have got the design nailed.  Good luck with this venture.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the weight on one stand?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I should weigh them. In the meantime, you'll have to make due with a guess. The "regular duty" I would esitmate at 4 pounds, the "heavy duty" would come in around 10.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should weigh them. In the meantime, you'll have to make due with a guess. The "regular duty" I would esitmate at 4 pounds, the "heavy duty" would come in around 10.

Where are you located in texas?  I like your design, with the bullet deflectors.  I would like to buy several stands (3).  Shipping would probably be prohibitive, unless you are close to DFW and then I could just drive over and pick them up.

Have you had any thoughts about how to make a 'swinging' stand that allows the target to rock side to side?

Sillouhette targets made of steel with a circle 'ringer' inset of the heart and head areas?

Man, I want a welding machine now!

TRG
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Where are you located in texas?  I like your design, with the bullet deflectors.  I would like to buy several stands (3).  Shipping would probably be prohibitive, unless you are close to DFW and then I could just drive over and pick them up.

I'm in Austin. I'm sure we could figure something out.

Have you had any thoughts about how to make a 'swinging' stand that allows the target to rock side to side?

Not yet. I've not looked around for the material - this was just a silly idea I had and thought it might be a good way to finance my new hobby. Like I just realized that in order to drill all these holes into steel that I'd need a decent drill bit sharpener. Don't really want to do that until I've actually sold a few stands....

Sillouhette targets made of steel with a circle 'ringer' inset of the heart and head areas?

Hmmm. I don't quite understand this concept. Are you thinking of a cardboard target, but there's a couple of pieces of steel located behind the cardboard which constitute the ringers ? Sounds interesting.

Man, I want a welding machine now!

The welder is not that expensive, but you'll need a bunch of odds and ends to go with it and that adds up. At a minimum (which is my case), there's a 14" cutoff saw, gloves, welding helmet, clamps, electrodes, chipping hammer, wire brushes, grinder, etc. It worked out for me, because I had a birthday coming up, so most of my birthday list consisted of "accessories". Ideally, you'd also want a Oxy-Acetylene rig for cutting along with a few more elaborate metalworking tools. One of the reasons I can do these stands is that I can build them with the tools I have.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess I'm officially open for business. Choose from two designs:
1) The "heavy duty" version as shown down at the bottom of the page. $20.
2) The "regular duty" version shown at the top of the page, but with added bullet deflectors as on the "heavy duty" version and no screws on the rectangular tubing. $15.

I can't really offer a discount if you order a bunch, since it takes me the same amount of time to make each one. I'm an electrical engineer by day, and I'm doing this as a community service. OK, I'm doing it because it's pretty cool to melt metal and I can make a couple of $$$ on each stand. It does take a decent amount of time to make each stand though, so my time is worth something. It takes about an hour for each stand.

I have no idea about how much shipping would be, but if there's enough interest I'll find out. If you're within three hours of Austin I could drive halfway and do the exchange, but I would prefer not to do that for just a couple of the stands each time. UPS might be the best option. A similar target stand looks to be about $7 for one, or $17 for five via UPS. That's cheaper than I thought.

And finally - since these are done by hand, and my loving wife expects me to help out around the house, it might take a little while to make a bunch of them. Heck, I'll knock off a few dollars if you want to come over to my house and do laundry while I weld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top