Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the MI legislature website it looks like the senate voted on the amended bill from the house and passed it today.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:21:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cybersniper] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKM47:
According to the MI legislature website it looks like the senate voted on the amended bill from the house and passed it today.
View Quote

Sure looks that way!!! Off to the Gov for his signature. Lets hope he signs it. Start the email machine going again!!

Senate Passed Bill

ROLL CALL # 105 YEAS 36 NAYS 2 EXCUSED 0 NOT VOTING 0
The minutes are not up yet to see who voted no. But I'm sure you can guess.

I don't see an email address but you can use this online portal to contact the Gov.
Gov. Snyder Opinion Page

Gov Snyder's Contact People

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rjbergen:
That's my understanding too. The only NFA weapons that trumps the others is machine guns. They may have short barrels and stocks or no stocks, but they're still machine guns and you're not required to register them as SBRs or AOWs.
View Quote

What is this "trumping"? Trump is a real estate guy with bad hair.

A firearm either meets a given definition or it doesn't.  That's why that Serbu gun is either an AOW or an SBS, but not both: because it can only meet one of those two definitions, depending on its configuration. In the same way a machine gun does not meet the definition of a rifle (or an SBR), and a rifle does not meet the definition of a machine gun. The terms are mutually exclusive.

And yes, it is possible for a firearm to meet multiple definitions, and be regulated under both. For example, there are some large machine guns that are also DDs, and the regulations for both classes apply.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cybersniper:

Sure looks that way!!! Off to the Gov for his signature. Lets hope he signs it. Start the email machine going again!!

Senate Passed Bill

I don't see an email address but you can use this online portal to contact the Gov.
Gov. Snyder Opinion Page

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Senate Passed Bill

Gov. Snyder Opinion Page

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Just so we all know, the six House No votes were:
Banks: D- Harper Woods
Rutledge: D- Superior Township
Stanley: D- Flint
Talabi: D- Detroit
Hovey-Wright: D- Muskegon
Stallworth: D- Detroit

I doubt there's much that can be done about most of them, but you guys on the west side need to do something to replace Hovey-Wright.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet, One more step complete.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rjbergen] [#8]

Senate Passed Bill

Gov. Snyder Opinion Page

View All Quotes

Senate Passed Bill

Gov. Snyder Opinion Page

I'm pretty positive I could guess which Senators voted nay. I hate those 2, they vote nay on any firearm bill.

The governor now has 3 options:
1. Sign the bill and make it law.
2. Veto the bill and send it back with his objections.
3. Don't take any action and the bill becomes law 14 days after it reaches his desk. This works this way only because the legislature hasn't, and won't adjourn sine die (adjourn without setting a specific return date) prior to those 14 days passing, assuming the bill reaches his desk this week. If the legislature had adjourned sine die, the governor could not take action and it would become a pocket veto.

ETA: Damn iPhone autocorrect!
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]

I'm pretty positive I could guess which Senators voted nay. I hate those 2, they vote nay on any firearm bill.

3. Don't take any action and the bill becomes law 14 days after it reaches his desk. This works this way only because the legislature hasn't, and won't adjourn some die prior to those 14 days passing, assuming the bill reaches his desk this week.
View All Quotes

Senate Passed Bill

Gov. Snyder Opinion Page

3. Don't take any action and the bill becomes law 14 days after it reaches his desk. This works this way only because the legislature hasn't, and won't adjourn some die prior to those 14 days passing, assuming the bill reaches his desk this week.

This is great! Thanks again for the updates. I will have to start trying to contact gov Snyder!
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I called the governor's office and ask him to sign it.  You guys need to do the same.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cybersniper] [#11]
The two Senate Nay votes were:
Johnson - D (Detroit/Wayne Co)
Warren- D (Ann Arbor Area)

TOOLS!

The fact that the other 10 Dems voted yes is surprising. Maybe the recalls in Colorado and other states have sent a message. Or, the Dem Party in Michigan is scared of taking another beating and started using some common sense. Nay, can't be common sense. Were talking about legislators. What was I thinking.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Now this is some exciting stuff! Can't wait to get my first lower engraved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Does it mean that I can buy AK47 underfolder or Arsenal sidefolder?
Does Kelly's opinion still stands regarding these firearms?
If I must weld muzzle device to the barrel to make the 26" with stock collapsed, then fuck this stupid bill and I hope Snyder kills it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Richard257:
If I must weld muzzle device to the barrel to make the 26" with stock collapsed, then fuck this stupid bill and I hope Snyder kills it.
View Quote

This bill will legalize SBRs and SBSs. It will not change any of the current laws regarding non-NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:06:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yagermeister] [#15]
There no state law that says you have to weld your muzzle break that's the opinion of the state police , which as far as I know don't make laws but I'm a dumb truck driver not a lawyer , I have folders that are just fine under current law . So just because you can't for some reason benefit from regaining our 2nd amend freedoms we should all lose them that's the dumbest shit I've heard on Arfcom in awhile and that's sayin something
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#16]
How do we know when this have been delivered to the govenors desk, and the 14 days to sign/veto/or aloow to become law begins?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Not sure if serious!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, assuming Richard257's off the wall editorial doesn't come true and the Gov signs it, if I have an NFA trust, which it hope to soon, do I need to have my Sig P556 engraved before sending in the form4 or can I do it when I get the stamp?  I assume waiting is a good idea 'cause who knows what the BATF may do before I get the stamp.

Related question, how do I add my cans to the Trust once I get it?  I think I need to fill out a Form4 for each of them and send a $200 check for each of them with a copy of my Trust, right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:17:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#20]
Originally Posted By coctailer:

Are you mentally handicapped??

You should probably find a different hobby and leave guns to adults.
View All Quotes

Are you mentally handicapped??

You should probably find a different hobby and leave guns to adults.

What is the quote about remaining silent and letting people think you a fool...?

Never mind.  

Rich257 asks a valid question.  MI and Fed law read the same, in that the definition of an SBR includes a "weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches."  That section applies, even if the barrel is longer than 16".  MI AG Kelly wrote an opinion that the act of folding a stock open or closed constituted a "modification" of a firearm - therefore he argued the 26" rule applies, even if the firearm was originally made at the factory with a folded length less than 26".  It's a bogus ruling.  It's like saying you "modified" your car by opening and closing the door.  But that's what is currently out there.  

The original Senate bill basically stated that SBR/SBSs (under the state definition) would be legal as long as they "LAWFULLY MADE, MANUFACTURED, TRANSFERRED, OR POSSESSED UNDER FEDERAL LAW". (not me yelling - that's how it's written in the bill).  The feds measure a rifle / shotgun in the longest configuration.  That means if you have a folder that is 31" extended and 25" folded, the feds consider it to be a 31" Title 1 rifle, but MI considers it a 25" SBR.  But since the feds consider it legal, the original SB610 said that gun would be legal.  MI would still consider it an SBR, but since it would be legal even with no NFA paperwork, it would automatically been legal here.

With the H1 version of the bill, a requirement was added that the gun be registered as a pistol, or the federal registration be carried with the gun.  So, logic would interpret this to mean a 16" barreled rifle with a folded length of less than 26" should be legal.  It is not a federal SBR, but it is a MI SBR.  So to be legal under MI law, you would have to comply with Sec. 2 or 2A of 1927 PA 372.  That is just saying you have to register the firearm as a pistol (unless you are otherwise exempt).

The trick comes in when we try to find out if the state would let a person register a non-NFA, "MI-SBR" or not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yagermeister] [#21]
didn't they  get rid of the the whole register a rifle as a pistol so you couldnt carry it via ccw?
and that is the next thing we need to change the whole measuring it folded bs!
and we need to get switchblades legalize there was a bill but they buried it somewhere
here it is
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(l4o2od55izhilx45yd5jns45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2012-HB-5544
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#22]

TOOLS!

The fact that the other 10 Dems voted yes is surprising. Maybe the recalls in Colorado and other states have sent a message. Or, the Dem Party in Michigan is scared of taking another beating and started using some common sense. Nay, can't be common sense. Were talking about legislators. What was I thinking.
View Quote

Maybe the Republicans were able to play the angle that this makes Michigan's gun laws inline with Federal law.

"Ooooooh, more in line with Federal law you say?"

They probably smashed the YES button so hard it broke.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Assuming Snyder signs it, I've read that the ATF will drag their feet recognizing Michigan as an SBR/SBS State.  This Federal "recognition" process may take several more months before the ATF is ready for us to send in our forms.

Is there any truth to this?

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]

No
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glock24:
Assuming Snyder signs it, I've read that the ATF will drag their feet recognizing Michigan as an SBR/SBS State.  This Federal "recognition" process may take several more months before the ATF is ready for us to send in our forms.

No

There should be no truth to that. Although, we all know how slow the government is, so it could take a while for them to read and understand the new law
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#26]

No
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glock24:

No

When the law changed to allow silencers in Missouri, I filed a 5320.20 immediately.  It took over 6 months to be approved.  Silencers don't require permission to cross state lines.  But ATF will approve if you submit them, and it's always nice to have another piece of documentation showing the legitimacy of my stuff.  So I brought my stuff in state anyway.  

And it seems like the initial Form 4 submissions took a month or two longer than was standard at that time.  People that called were told ATF was "running it by their lawyers".  

But I would consider that a fair indication of what ATF might do this time around.  I can't say one way or the other what they will actually do this time around.

I'm not trying to be a downer.  You have to learn to be patient in this game anyway.  sorry.    The only thing that seems to be consistent about ATF is their inconsistency.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Be wise for the Governor to sign it if he wants to have support of Second Amendment advocates.

His push for right to work and veto of the CPL expansion has hurt him with so called blue dog Democrats, which he needs to win a state like Michigan.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Its time to put pressure on the Nerd about this! Call and email him  to let him know that "we the people don't want our rights infringed upon any longer".
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28urub3c55yqlrvu55zyxtxz3u%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2013-SB-0610

update :  3/25/2014Expected in  SJ 31PRESENTED TO GOVERNOR 3/24/2014 @ 11:14 AM
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dclark77:
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28urub3c55yqlrvu55zyxtxz3u%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2013-SB-0610

update :  3/25/2014Expected in  SJ 31PRESENTED TO GOVERNOR 3/24/2014 @ 11:14 AM
View Quote

That's great news!

Snyder now has 3 options as follows:
1. Sign the bill and it is effective once it is filed with the Secretary of State.
2. Veto the bill and it is returned to the Senate.
3. Take no action and the bill becomes law on April 7th, and is effective once it is filed with the Secretary of State.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moreguns4me] [#31]
Someone please find out who voted against this and post who they are here  , so that we can get them out  of their elected positions when their seats come up for election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jmacken37] [#32]
Originally Posted By moreguns4me:
Someone please find out who voted against this and post who they are here  , so that we can get them out  of their elected positions when their seats come up for election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jmacken37:

View All Quotes

They are enemies of the free world  and must be EJECTED from politics.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Hahaha, now go convince all the welfare recipients in Detroit and the hippies in Ann Arbor. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Actually, so is Snyder, whether he signs or not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Boy, the Nerd sure is taking his sweet time huh?

His decision here makes or breaks him with me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cybersniper] [#37]
Don't be surprised if he does not sign nor veto it and just lets it become law on the 7th (once filed with Sec of State). He's no fan of gun laws but knows he needs support from gun owners.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't be surprised if he does not sign nor veto it and just lets it become law on the 7th (once filed with Sec of State). He's no fan of gun laws but knows he needs support from gun owners.
View Quote

This is exactly what I expect him to do. That way he can remain neutral and the bill will still become law.
He's nothing more than a RINO POS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MichMan1] [#39]
Well, my bet is he will sign it.  The passage margins are so large as to necessitate that result.  The last three bills he signed on the 20th were on his desk only 2-3 days.  Hopefully he will sign by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#40]
The news story I read said he plans on signing it. I can't wait to cut down some barrels.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm very excited about this.  Not only will I be able to visit with my SBR's,  I can finally move back home.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#43]

I can bring my SBRs over to MI from OR also.

Actually, with WA passing their SBR law also, I can go everywhere with my personal SBRs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Modly:
I'm very excited about this.  Not only will I be able to visit with my SBR's,  I can finally move back home.  

I can bring my SBRs over to MI from OR also.

Actually, with WA passing their SBR law also, I can go everywhere with my personal SBRs.

That too!  I had to exclude WA off of my house buying list because of that.  With the way things are going here though,  moving back to MI might be the right choice though.  

What is considered a 10% down payment on a house in Oregon will buy a house in full in Wayne county,  and now that my brother is a realtor in MI,  I can save a few fees.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerNinja] [#44]
At least in the case of AR's... Paying a tax stamp for an SBR seems a bit silly, with the advent of the Sig arm brace. Though I doubt Snyder will sign, to each their own, and if paying tax stamps for short barrels is what makes you happy, GO FOR IT

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GingerNinja:
At least in the case of AR's... Paying a tax stamp for an SBR seems a bit silly, with the advent of the Sig arm brace. Though I doubt Snyder will sign, to each their own, and if paying tax stamps for short barrels is what makes you happy, GO FOR IT

View Quote

I have a Sig P556 that came with one of thoes braces, I'd rather have a stock on it for the shootability and to avoid any possible hassles when it's shouldered.  I figure as soon as I can legally SBR the Sig, the brace is sold.  I'll probably get enough to pay most of the $200 Tax, so it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#46]
My wallet after this becomes law.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engel12626] [#47]
IT'S SIGNED!

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rjbergen] [#48]
Originally Posted By Engel12626:
IT'S SIGNED!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engel12626:
IT'S SIGNED!

Confirmed!
APPROVED BY GOVERNOR 3/26/2014 @ 9:10 PM

FILED WITH SECRETARY OF STATE 3/27/2014 @ 12:00 PM

ASSIGNED PA 0063'14 WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT

Go get your SBRs!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm more excited than a little kid in a candy store right now
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top