Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:18:31 PM EDT
Every month or so us LEOs get law update bulletins. These go to all depts that in turn go into every cop's personal mail box. These keep us updated on new laws and (or) case law.

I'm guessing the latest bulleten came in Monday (my day off). Anyway, low & behold the new AG rule about MGs is there for all to see. Nothing about silencers. Wasn't all that long winded either.

But, I wanted to let you guys know that LEOs have been officially informed. It'll be a while before they'll be knowlegable about the law.

So don't go ape shit & get pissy because some cop's total lack of knowlege about it when somebody approaches one about it.

Thought I'd share
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It was in this month's Shotgun News too.  

So how has the general LEO reaction to the opinion?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thank you.

I was wondering how word of this change would filter out to the agencies.

I truley hope that the CLEOs will be willing to sign the paperwork instead of forcing the development of a bunch of new corporations.

No problem.

I'm kinda curious myself.

Chiefs are from my experience all wired differently in terms of their opinions on gun ownership. My old chief was totally clueless, and actually believed the AWB sunset entailed average Joe's walking into Rite Aid & being able to buy FA AK47s. He had a negative opinion about guns so he wasn't about to rush right out there & get any more informed than he needed to.

My current chief however kicks ass. He's all about "the toys".

So I guess that's the best I can offer in terms of who might be less apt to sign something than another. Basically, CLEOs are not factory made. I think the size of town may have a factor as well??? Who knows...

So how has the general LEO reaction to the opinion?

As far as opinions of the average LEO on this?  

Surprisingly no real vocal responses yet. I mean I heard way more indetph debate over the AWB sunset (which kinda shows how the VPC gang has managed to stir up paranoia in the LE community).

To date, some have the look like; "NO WAY, LEMME GRAB MY CREDIT CARD!!" After that vision dashes when I tell them about how much they'll be paying for an MG, they just shrug it off. Others are just indifferent to it. Nobody has recoiled in horror over it, and doubt anybody will until maybe VPC sends out a severely twisted pamphlet on it telling CLEOs that their officers may face an MG around every corner. We usually don't buy into that crap anyway (it's usually the brass that does   ).

Until word gets out, I think I'm one of the few LEOs that are actually still grinning from ear to ear over the news.

So there ya have it...  my .02 worth in my small corner of the LE universe
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Every month or so us LEOs get law update bulletins. These go to all depts that in turn go into every cop's personal mail box. These keep us updated on new laws and (or) case law.

I'm guessing the latest bulleten came in Monday (my day off). Anyway, low & behold the new AG rule about MGs is there for all to see. Nothing about silencers. Wasn't all that long winded either.

But, I wanted to let you guys know that LEOs have been officially informed. It'll be a while before they'll be knowlegable about the law.

So don't go ape shit & get pissy because some cop's total lack of knowlege about it when somebody approaches one about it.

Thought I'd share

So I'm kinda curious. If you, yourself, were to buy a transferable MG, would you be able to carry it as a trunk gun or such in your cruiser or such? That would be cool. You could write a MG off on your taxes as a job expense.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if you ask me about what law enforcement is thinking I could tell you the following that is based on a few conversations here and there.

Some LE are concerned that silencers would prevent them from detecting shots fired thru dragnetting to detect shooters. I explained away that faulty statement that persons going thru the lawful process to acquire highly controlled items are not criminally intent. Criminals don't go thru the system and would construct other means to achieve their criminal intent. Argument was agreed to as anybody with criminal intent could fabricate other means to suppress gun fire should they have the desire to do so.

Here's a fact that came up in one of my conversations way up the food chain. There are over 800 licensees holding silencers in the state of Michigan and none of the 800 silencers has been used in a crime.

Another concern was if a silencer was stolen from a lawful owner. Again I pointed out that would once again be the action of a criminal. Smart people lock stuff up or hide the items in a manner to prevent these kinds of things.

On the other side of the LE coin I get the distinct impression there's a bunch of LE guys all around the state that want to be able to own silencers! I understand they have been making inquiry as to if they will be able to own them too. So I think they are driving some of the interest in the legality of the opinion as it relates to suppressors.

Other than the PC liberal upper echelon and the plain and simple anti-gun type LE, I expect there are many LE guys just like us who want to be able to own all the cool stuff too. I'll bet there are plenty of LE that are gonna go out and buy an Uzi or a MAC or an M16 and a gemtech or other silencer, just like we expect to do.

These guys are guys just like us with the difference being they carry a duty and responsibility to enforce and uphold the law and unlike us civilians they place their lives on the line every day so that we may play.    
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Uhhhmmm, ok
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL - well maybe we really are not like you guys! Hehehehehe
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
LOL - well maybe we really are not like you guys! Hehehehehe

Stand down on the perimiter partner.

I read your post 3x with somewhat confusion. Maybe I'm just a 'dumb cop' that's eagor to shoot somebody's dog (I feal that's the tone), BUT!...

1) I didn't want this to get too much of a "LEO" discussion, I posted this topic because I just want to be a part of this great new pheonominum (SPL?), and voluntarily offered up what I know. I really didn't want this to become too much of an LEO GD type topic. After all I'm MI folk with evrybody's here SAME intersests in the new law.

EVERY CHANCE I GET, BELIEVE ME I WILL INFORM OTHER LEOs!!

I just offered up some info. NOTHING MORE.

2) Yer preachin to the chior. I totally agree with you! That's not the point on this topic. I just tried to shed some light & answer GENERAL questions.

You're right, I'm just like everybody else. I wasn't born with a "blue" battery pack shoved up my ass, and then recieved a badge at the right age.

Seriously, if God was crazy enough to make me chief,.....well, there would be headlines nationwide so to say,...IN OUR FAVOR. That's not the case though.

3) Pardon the thought, but I kinda feel like you lectured me.

No harm no foul...

Let's just shut up & lets buy our MGs!!!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice bunny..... jk......

Gotta say I didn't interpret BustOff's words at all like you did Cleaner. It just looked to me like he was relaying his own personal experiences (conversations) with law enforcement personnel, which seemd to echo much of your own (LEO's being "just folk" so to speak, and wanting the same things many of us do).

I certainly didn't see anywhere that he insulted anyone's intelligence. Just seemed like he was saying that a lot of the rank and file LEO's were like us, in that they too wanted to be part of this phenomenon.

My 2¢ worth, and not worth the copper it's NOT minted on!

BTW, thanks for your post, disseminating information is a good thang!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope - you took it wrong brother - I was actually pointing out a couple cool points about no crime with cans and the like. I have been talking to one of the AG's guys, an ATF guy a couple MSP people etc and thats where I get some info as to what LE is thinking. I was not lecturing you as much as I am informing others who are following your post.

I'm just a regular guy just like you. I was actually praising the job LE is charged with performing. And pointing this out to anybody who reads my post reply.

You must forgive me I suffer from target fixation due to being too tuned in to bringing this whole deal all the way in to a successful conclusion. I can tell you getting the AG opinion done was the easy part! Getting ATF to accept it and getting the silencer thing done is proving to be a pain in the ass. But its gonna get done and I hope everybody gets what they want.

You will have to excuse me as some times I get carried away on the subject and find myself writing a 4 page editorial about this shit and thats no shit. I think I been writing too much!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
BustOff, I seed it before and I will say it again thank you very much! The same to the AG.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nope - you took it wrong brother - I was actually pointing out a couple cool points about no crime with cans and the like. I have been talking to one of the AG's guys, an ATF guy a couple MSP people etc and thats where I get some info as to what LE is thinking. I was not lecturing you as much as I am informing others who are following your post.

I'm just a regular guy just like you. I was actually praising the job LE is charged with performing. And pointing this out to anybody who reads my post reply.

You must forgive me I suffer from target fixation due to being too tuned in to bringing this whole deal all the way in to a successful conclusion. I can tell you getting the AG opinion done was the easy part! Getting ATF to accept it and getting the silencer thing done is proving to be a pain in the ass. But its gonna get done and I hope everybody gets what they want.

You will have to excuse me as some times I get carried away on the subject and find myself writing a 4 page editorial about this shit and thats no shit. I think I been writing too much!

Yea, guess I did. My bad. I suppose now it's officially true; my friends say working mids has put the zap on my brain.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Well all I can say is welcome to Club MG! Please join us in our crusade to give Michigan people a bit of their freedom back. You are an asset to your community in that you are working to educate your fellow LEO. Believe me that will be a challenge to get the Chief LEO's up to speed so they can feel confident in signing off on the form 4's.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't wait for my 16. Although, the only way I can really afford one is to sell my Land Rover Defender.

I've had her for almost 10 years. I still don't know if I can do it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top