Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2014 7:25:59 PM EDT
Just had the talk with the significant other, and it went far better than I hoped. Things are bad here in NY. SAFE Act aside, the economy sucks. I haven't had full time work in close to a year. Politics controls everything in my line of work, public relations and public affairs consulting, and Cuomo himself said it... There is just no place for a person like me in New York State. My girlfriend is an attorney in the Berkshires, and the economy is no better there. We agreed its time for a radical change. I brought up TN, and she did not object and was open to the idea. I'm going to have a lot of questions over the coming months, and hope you'll be able to offer some guidance. For where to live to where the jobs are. I'm in a lease through June, and will have to see what I can do to pull together the funds to leave and set up, and I'll need to line up a job before moving. Most of my wealth was foolishly tied up in preban guns and mags, which were like gold in NY before the SAFE Act, now not so much. I'll probably be looking at selling most of what I own and starting over essentially. Not entirely a bad thing, a little simplicity might be nice. In any event, I am praying we may be neighbors by the end of the year. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on down out of that hellhole, and f*** Cuomo and Bloomberg both!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come on down out of that hellhole, and f*** Cuomo and Bloomberg both!
View Quote

One step at a time brother, first I need to find work down there. We're talking about two established lives. Even though the professional portion is in tatters for both of us, we have family and friends, she owns a house which will either need to be sold or rented out, consolidate two households to form one (that's a big step in terms of our relationship). I have to be honest, the prospect is daunting. But every day that goes by when I go to bed without a purpose to get up for in the morning (steady employment) I realize this state is killing me emotionally, financially, and in terms of my freedom and future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Baker Donelson (sp?) is a huge law firm with offices in Nashville area, and there has GOT to be some sort of PR firms in the area.

You know, Nashville.

ETA: looks like Baker Donelson has offices in Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville as well.

Get your ass down here.
View Quote

Stacey is not really the type to practice in a firm. She prefers real estate law, education (special Ed/needs), or not for profit, something without the pressure of 60 billable a a week. I on he other hand can do really well in a fast paced environment, and used to do 70 hour weeks routinely when I was with the governor's office. Of course, I was quite a bit younger. Like I said, its not just a matter of coming down there. The past year, and the SAFE Act, have financially devastated me. We have to figure out how we will swing this. I think she and I are in agreement we are more interested in Eastern TN.

I have experience in governmental administration and communications, political communications and elections campaigns, and corporate communications in the telecom, healthcare, and environmental finance and remediation areas. With the economy booming down there, I'm sure there are a lot of opportunities.

What's the deal with CCW? I have full carry in NY and CT, and used to have FL, UT, and NV. I know some instructors locally if I needed to renew those three that have since expired.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Your permit will likely be honored for six months after moving.  You can easily get a TN permit in under a month.

I lived in Knoxville for a month on business.  Nashville is better.  

If you want land, you're going to end up with a bit of a commute into any city.  A house is easy to come by, but a house on 20 acres is going to be a bit further out.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I would not go so far as to say our economy is booming down here in TN. It's probably better than other places, but booming, I don't think so. Is it better than NY, probably.

With the type of work experiences you both appear to have, locating in one of the four main metro areas in the state is probably where you will have the best chance of finding jobs. But to get the acreage you desire, you will be commuting.

If it were me, I would concentrate on east and middle parts of the state.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm really not interested in a lot of land. Not particularly interested in living in a city either. Suburbs within a 20-30 minute drive. If we do this we's probably rent a place for the first year to get our legs under us before settling on a more permanent location. Appreciate the insight.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Renting would be a good idea if new to the area. That gives you some time to get the lay of the land and does not tie you down.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Renting would be a good idea if new to the area. That gives you some time to get the lay of the land and does not tie you down.

View Quote

I requested a guide to apartments in the Knoxville area around 1AM, but 10AM I had about eight emails from rental agents. Your cost of living must be significantly less down there. I pay $835 a month for a one bedroom, and on average $125 for gas and electric, and another $135 for cable and Internet. A lot of these units seem to be brand new, and include cable and Internet. Heck, looks like we could rent a two bedroom house with internal and external maintenance for around $1,000 a month.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I requested a guide to apartments in the Knoxville area around 1AM, but 10AM I had about eight emails from rental agents. Your cost of living must be significantly less down there. I pay $835 a month for a one bedroom, and on average $125 for gas and electric, and another $135 for cable and Internet. A lot of these units seem to be brand new, and include cable and Internet. Heck, looks like we could rent a two bedroom house with internal and external maintenance for around $1,000 a month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our cost of living should be significantly lower than yours. However, caveat emptor! It's all about location, location, location as to apartments and houses.

Do you have kids that are school age? This will have an impact on your location as to schools. If you don't have kids, this will free you up as to location.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]
No children, and we will both be 42 this year, so that's not likely to change.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
That will open your options not having to deal with the school issue.

Lots of apts being built in Knoxville and also down in Chattanooga as well. I live in Knoxville and am in Chattanooga several times a week on business. To be honest, I like both areas with a better nod to Chattanooga. Their downtown area is nicer than Knoxville with regards to entertainment, restaurants, etc. I think the economy is a bit better there as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lots of apts being built in Knoxville and also down in Chattanooga as well. I live in Knoxville and am in Chattanooga several times a week on business. To be honest, I like both areas with a better nod to Chattanooga. Their downtown area is nicer than Knoxville with regards to entertainment, restaurants, etc. I think the economy is a bit better there as well.
View Quote

Thanks, about how far apart are they? We are looking at Eastern TN because Stacey doesn't want to be near the Mississippi River watershed. She has some chemical sensitivity issues that she doesn't want to risk exacerbating,
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks, about how far apart are they? We are looking at Eastern TN because Stacey doesn't want to be near the Mississippi River watershed. She has some chemical sensitivity issues that she doesn't want to risk exacerbating,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 100 miles. Chattanooga is on the GA/TN state line. Chattanooga is south of Knoxville.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry to tell you this but ALL of Tn is in the Mississippi river watershed. The TN river flows through Knoxville and Chattanooga. The Cumberland through Nashville. Blount County south of Knoxville is the 2nd fastest growing county in TN.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sorry to tell you this but ALL of Tn is in the Mississippi river watershed. The TN river flows through Knoxville and Chattanooga. The Cumberland through Nashville. Blount County south of Knoxville is the 2nd fastest growing county in TN.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think she is referencing to directly along the Miss, she realizes there are tributaries no matter where you are in the state.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, where in NY are you currently?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, where in NY are you currently?
View Quote

I'm near Albany, she has a house in the Berkshires (MA).
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I live 30minutes south of Knoxville and 45min north of Chattanooga.

I live essentially in between two large cities. I love the quite country life but at times the wife needs the city.

I pay roughly 900$ a month for everything but I mow my own lawn.
700$ for the house
150$ for electric
14$ for trash
50$ for water.

It is a 3BR 2bath 1200sq, with 1000sq of extra basement space.

So yeah the cost of living is way down if you find the right deals.
We will welcome you and will point you in the right direction to get your permit.
It is taking right under 2 weeks to get your permit back. Guy at work turned his in on the 2nd and got it back yesterday.
Total cost can be 165$ if you find the 50$ class.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I live essentially in between two large cities. I love the quite country life but at times the wife needs the city.

700$ for the house
150$ for electric
14$ for trash
50$ for water.

We will welcome you and will point you in the right direction to get your permit.
It is taking right under 2 weeks to get your permit back. Guy at work turned his in on the 2nd and got it back yesterday.
View Quote

Athens?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Chattanooga is 1.5hr drive from Knoxville.  Both cities are good to go if you want to live there.

I would check out Chattanooga and Maryville first for living.  Knoxville and Chattanooga for working.

For what you pay to rent up there, you could buy down here.  But if you're wanting to rent first, West and North Knoxville are your best bets for Apts.  Don't pay more than $800/mo for rent though or you're throwing away money, considering all the options for apts around town.  I suppose you could live downtown for NY prices, but I've done it and it's not worth it.  The lofts that are affordable have lots of college kids and aren't very insulated for sound, if you catch my drift.  (don't ask   )

The best thing about either city is that you can be in the middle of things, and a 30min drive can put you in the middle of nowhere.  

You might want to look into HGTV.  Their HQ is in Knoxville and there may be some employment opportunities there for your line of work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Good point Durka on the lofts in downtown Knoxville. That has gotten to be quite the rage, UT students living down there. This has inflated the market I believe and on top of that, there are not many places to shop downtown for groceries and such, still.

Chattanooga on the other hand, has lofts downtown (I am sure pricey as well) but they at least have grocery stores, etc. that make downtown living a lot easier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Can I jump in? My family and I are looking at Johnson City area. Wife and daughters are nurses and I am a paramedic. Any input on that area would be great. And Hiram, your talk with the SO sounded like my talk with the family. They jumped at the idea. Hate to leave the country in upstate but there is no hope for the State.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#24]
HiramRanger and RetiredBU,

I'm happy to hear that you're both looking at Tennessee.

I live in the Nashville area. I was born in Chattanooga and lived there for many years. With a little bit more information, I could probably make calls for you regarding work, general advice and acting as a local guide if you make any scouting trips this way.

If there is anything I can do to help you, don't hesitate to let me know.

Tachyon
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I live in the Nashville area. I was born in Chattanooga and lived there for many years. With a little bit more information, I could probably make calls for you regarding work, general advice and acting as a local guide if you make any scouting trips this way.

Tachyon
View Quote

I'd be happy to send you a copy of my CV if that would be helpful. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Look at Southeast TN.  I'm about 25 minutes north of Chattanooga.  The economy here isn't what I would call booming, but it is better than most of the country and most of the state.  It is growing pretty fast as several companies have located here in the past 5 years.  

As an attorney, your GF should have no problems finding employment.  Funny you should mention real estate and special education law.  I have both real estate and special ed attorneys working for me right now

If you end up moving here, I can give you the name of a good pro 2A dentist
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Look at Southeast TN.  I'm about 25 minutes north of Chattanooga.  The economy here isn't what I would call booming, but it is better than most of the country and most of the state.  It is growing pretty fast as several companies have located here in the past 5 years.  

As an attorney, your GF should have no problems finding employment.  Funny you should mention real estate and special education law.  I have both real estate and special ed attorneys working for me right now

View Quote

That's good, I have impacted wisdom teeth and another tooth broken off below the gum line. Dead tooth that had a previous root canal. I have no full time work, no health insurance, and no rights. I honestly have no idea if we can even swing a move financially. Might be looking at selling everything just to get there and put a roof over our heads. I'm not sure we will be able to chance a move without employment lined up first.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's good, I have impacted wisdom teeth and another tooth broken off below the gum line. Dead tooth that had a previous root canal. I have no full time work, no health insurance, and no rights. I honestly have no idea if we can even swing a move financially. Might be looking at selling everything just to get there and put a roof over our heads. I'm not sure we will be able to chance a move without employment lined up first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do move here, you will be astounded at the cost of living differences.  Everything is much cheaper here. Housing, food, gas, electric rates, etc.  Not only that, but you will get to keep a lot more of the money that you all earn as there is no state income tax.  I can't remember what NY state income tax is, but I remember it being insanely high.  When I was a resident, my employer was Lutheran medical center in Brooklyn.  Even though I was not physically working in NY, the fuckers still took out NY state income tax.  That was my first fuck NY experience
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good to know. Please keep me in mind if you know anybody looking for PR, not-for-profit management, public affairs, or political consulting services.
If you do move here, you will be astounded at the cost of living differences.  Everything is much cheaper here. Housing, food, gas, electric rates, etc.  Not only that, but you will get to keep a lot more of the money that you all earn as there is no state income tax.  I can't remember what NY state income tax is, but I remember it being insanely high.  When I was a resident, my employer was Lutheran medical center in Brooklyn.  Even though I was not physically working in NY, the fuckers still took out NY state income tax.  That was my first fuck NY experience
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Please keep me in mind if you know anybody looking for PR, not-for-profit management, public affairs, or political consulting services.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Tachyon

View Quote

Count me and my wife in as well.

We are specifically looking at the Knoxville area.  Do you have any recommendations for neighborhoods where we should rent an apartment?

We're planning a final scouting visit in late August/early September with a hopeful move date of October/November.

I work in the computer training field with a focus in graphic design and desktop publishing.  For samples of my work look at the Team Ranstad thread.

Any help or advice you can offer would be more than welcome.

Thanks.

David

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We are specifically looking at the Knoxville area.  Do you have any recommendations for neighborhoods where we should rent an apartment?

We're planning a final scouting visit in late August/early September with a hopeful move date of October/November.

I work in the computer training field with a focus in graphic design and desktop publishing.  For samples of my work look at the Team Ranstad thread.

Thanks.

David

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tachyon

Thanks.

David

apartments

chamber of commerce... major employers

headhunters
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

apartments - That will be useful.  We still want neighborhood recommendations from locals.

chamber of commerce... major employers - Had already seen this.  Somewhat out of date but still informative

headhunters - I though they were only found in the Pacific islands.

View Quote

Thanks.

David

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks.

David

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tachyon

Thanks.

David

I grew up 1 hour east of Knoxville and have spent  quite a bit of time there.  For the most part, West Knoxville and Farragut are the nicest areas.  Of course, those areas are going to be more expensive.  You should still be able to get a nice 2 bedroom apt for $800-$900

With your experience, you should see if TVA is hiring.  I have a friend who is in IT and one who is an electrical engineer that work at the main TVA branch in Knoxville.  It is a cush job with excellent pay and benefits.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can I jump in? My family and I are looking at Johnson City area. Wife and daughters are nurses and I am a paramedic. Any input on that area would be great. And Hiram, your talk with the SO sounded like my talk with the family. They jumped at the idea. Hate to leave the country in upstate but there is no hope for the State.
View Quote

Johnson City is COUNTRY but it's really pretty country and it's growing.  There's a big Veteran's hospital there too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I grew up 1 hour east of Knoxville and have spent  quite a bit of time there.  For the most part, West Knoxville and Farragut are the nicest areas.  Of course, those areas are going to be more expensive.  You should still be able to get a nice 2 bedroom apt for $800-$900

With your experience, you should see if TVA is hiring.  I have a friend who is in IT and one who is an electrical engineer that work at the main TVA branch in Knoxville.  It is a cush job with excellent pay and benefits.

View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the TVA.  I never would have thought of them.

David

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Athens?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

700$ for the house
150$ for electric
14$ for trash
50$ for water.

Athens?

Yeah I guess you can call this Athens. The two city limits are within 2 miles of each other.
I love living here. I can open the back door and enjoy nice quite nothing, but I am within 5 minutes of the interstate. I am within 5 minutes of work as well, but if I ever have a problem with my job I have two major cities within an hour for work. And 3 dozen smaller cities in between as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top