Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 12:49:48 PM EDT
Does anyone know what the deal with emissions laws for 2004?  IS it no diesel cars, no sales of diesel cars in NY state, or no new diesel cars sold to ny residents?  Im wondering here because I am planning on purchasing a VW Jetta or Gold TDI and want to make sure I can still own one without having to register my car in another state.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Seeing as how the farm I work on in the summer has 23 diesel tractors I dont see how this is gonna fly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
this is for new CArs for the 2004 year.  Buses, tractors and large trucks are not involved with this
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
More funny stuff from our great legislature. Just like how you have to pay the recycle tax on tires when you buy them now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
More funny stuff from our great legislature. Just like how you have to pay the recycle tax on tires when you buy them now.

When the hell did they start this?  What a bunch of clowns we have running this state
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That 2004 emissions thing on diesels is a Federal thing, not NY State. They are tighting up the amount of stuff that diesel cars/small trucks can dump into the air. My vw tdi already meets that requirement, and because of it, the intake manifold will get gunked up and need a cleaning after about 60k miles. It caused by reburning the exhaust gases, it leaves a sooty mess.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Bullet is right.  From everything I have read about this.  They Feds have placed new emission standards on all Diesel engines.  Most manufactures are going to an EGR system as far as I know.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, reburn the exhaust gas. It combines with other crap and makes a sooty mess in the intake manifold. Lower sulfur fuel will take care of this, but, we don't have it yet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
...there are`nt any emmission tests required for diesels......as far as nys inspect......except for ny city.....not yet anyway.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Bullet that no sulfer fuel will be here in 2007.  It will also require the use of special motor oil the standard 15w-40 will not cut it.  Also niether will be compatible with pre 2007 engines.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...there are`nt any emmission tests required for diesels......as far as nys inspect......except for ny city.....not yet anyway.....

Yup and that sucks for me.  I used to be able to inspect my own car but DMV came and audited our records noticed we used an awful lot of free inspection stickers with the emissions check.  The only problem we don't have any gas viechels.  OOPS.  They were none to happy about that.  BTW I work for a municipality thats how I get my stickers for free.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
....the director keeps pushing the bio-diesel idea on me...he was upset that i bought fuel last month without consulting with him.....inevitable..apparently...wish i could avoid it....better get a few more fuel filters in???.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top