Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 2:33:56 PM EDT
Evening Y'all!!!

Well, with a half heavy and half happy heart, I will be saying "So long" to the Carolinas here next month after just over 3 years in the Beaufort area.  

Anyway, I'm heading to Ft. Sill for a 6 month school and then I am going to try to come back to good old Camp Swampy in March/April 2010.  Now when I lived there 4 years ago I was out in Hubert and did not enjoy it very much.  I am trying to decide where the house market is best as far as the Jacksonville area goes.  I know I DO NOT want to live in Jacksonville proper, I'm mainly interested in either renting or buying in either Emerald Isle, North Topsail Beach, Snead's Ferry, or possibly Swansboro or even Atlantic Beach if necessary.  I'd prefer a place on the water.  

Where is best to look?  Rent or buy?  Anybody know of any hook ups for Arfcommers or military?

Thanks in Advance
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheaper properties - Atlantic Beach, Holden Beach area.  Topsail is a very expensive area.  I guess if you're looking at waterfront though, that's not an issue.

Personally, I like the less crowded beaches along southern NC.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Urrah!

Yeah, well, on the beach would be ideal.  But I can deal with being near the beach.  I just don't want to get stuck back in one of the neighborhoods just off the base in the middle of nowhere.  My last place was like that, I got off base and 8 minutes later I was home.  Didn't pass a gas station, grocery store, fast food, blockbuster, NOTHING!

It seems like Emerald Isle, Swansboro, and Atlantic Beach are cheaper and have more available.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy rents one of the bungalo 2 room apartments just across the road from the beach on north topsail...  for those that sign a year lease I believe he was only paying 600 a month...  

As far as location, for me it would depend on where you are stationed...  the drive through jacksonville sucks!  The powers to be didn't think far enough ahead and plan for the traffic.  I live in the south west area and now work on Camp lejeune...  10 miles takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes unless you want to leave way early and sit around....  

If your on Lejeune or Cherry Point, go for swansboro area, New River Air Station would be Topsail or Sneads Ferry...

The only exception to that is if you were on Lejeune around Courthouse Bay then you would be better off down south and come in from 172
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, I remember THAT.

I don't do the Main Gate or Piney Green.  Strictly Side Gate or Back gate (the 172 gates basically)

I am a 10th Marines guy, so I will be working in the Division neighborhood aboard the base.  I've been in for almost 10 years, so my SUPER early mornings are easy to plan for now.  I don't mind a bit of a drive or some decompression time in the evenings either.  I heard that as long as you are coming in the 172 gates that traffic still isn't that bad?

Appreciate the responses!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to say I am really fond of Atlantic Beach.  Not too crowded, decent food and nice beaches.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally just don't like Topsail. I love the Oak Island/ Southport area, but I think that would be a drive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Swansboro resident here.
Look at Cape Carteret. There are some nice houses in that area, Or down 58 towards Pelitier...

CXS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top