Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:04:42 PM EDT
Called up Douglas county today to see if my permit was ready yet............I applied for the permit on November 29th and had a current Washoe permit in hand at the time.  Needed the new permit because the old one was expiring in February and I had just changed my primary residence to Douglas.
Was told that I would not be called until the end of March.  I asked if it was department policy to take the full 120 days.  Was told "yes it is policy to wait the full 120 days to issue a new permit".  
That's approximately 18 weeks.  One-third of a year.
Is there any legitimate reason for this policy........or is this just a case of bad management and lousy leadership?

---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Called up Douglas county today to see if my permit was ready yet............I applied for the permit on November 29th and had a current Washoe permit in hand at the time.  Needed the new permit because the old one was expiring in February and I had just changed my primary residence to Douglas.
Was told that I would not be called until the end of March.  I asked if it was department policy to take the full 120 days.  Was told "yes it is policy to wait the full 120 days to issue a new permit".  
That's approximately 18 weeks.  One-third of a year.
Is there any legitimate reason for this policy........or is this just a case of bad management and lousy leadership?

---AllAlphas

The 120 day maximum time limit to issue a Nevada CCW permit is written in statute i.e NRS 202.366

If law enforcement is given a timeline they will more often than not drag out the process until the last moment allowed.

Hope this helps.....

NRS 202.366  Investigation of applicant for permit; issuance or denial of permit; expiration of permit.

1.  Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if he is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless he is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

2.  To assist the sheriff in conducting his investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.

3.  Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT

County...............................................               Permit Number.....................................

Expires................................................               Date of Birth........................................

Height................................................               Weight..................................................

Name..................................................               Address................................................

City.....................................................               Zip.........................................................

Photograph

Signature...........................................

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue.....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized firearm.................................................

4.  Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the permit, a permit expires:

(a) If the permittee was a resident of this State at the time the permit was issued, on the fifth anniversary of the permittee’s birthday, measured from the birthday nearest the date of issuance or renewal.

(b) If the permittee was not a resident of this State at the time the permit was issued, on the third anniversary of the permittee’s birthday, measured from the birthday nearest the date of issuance or renewal.

5.  If the date of birth of a permittee is on February 29 in a leap year, for the purposes of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, his date of birth shall be deemed to be on February 28.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2723; A 1999, 2094; 2001, 614, 620; 2003, 13, 2846)

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't be surprised if they take every last day, and more , if they can get away with it.
Ask Meansteve.
I don't understand why , if you had a valid permit from another county, they'd make you wait. When i renewed, it was done right there, and had firearms added, 11 of them.

I will withhold comment about poor management until further investigation.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
ishoot2live---
Thanks for the relevant NRS info.............I knew they could take up to 120 days but my experience with Washoe led me to believe that most would not drag it out if it wasn't necessary.  
The impression I get with Douglas is that they have orders from on high not to issue the permit, even if everything comes back quickly, until the 120 day limit has arrived.  Sort of like a petulant little child who doesn't want to do his chores and thus drags it out for as long as possible.  
This is not the type of service I wish to get used to in my local government.

Gunmonkey---
I'm glad to hear that your renewal in Douglas was quick and frustration-free.  I have renewed twice in Washoe and it was always just as easy.
I enjoyed dealing with the ladies here in Douglas who took the information and fingerprinted me.  They were professional and efficient as well as pleasant.  I just don't like to see bureaucratic throttling taking place.  If the process doesn't need to take 120 days why mandate that it must?  
Does the sheriff here in Douglas resent having to issue concealed carry permits?

---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If the process doesn't need to take 120 days why mandate that it must?  

Because the Revenue Officers at the Sheriff's Department drop your money into an account for a third of a year, collect the miniscule interest off of it then run the paperwork at the last moment.

DCSO sucks. You and I aren't the only ones that've had trouble with those fudgepackers.

I have other choice adjectives for them. I have a serious inclination to take the prerequisite Criminal Justice classes, serve two years as a LEO and then campaign for Douglas County Sheriff.

My platform: I can't possibly fuck things up more than Piereni and his goon squad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Last year I put a retired police officer through my Nevada CCW course. Although this particular retired LEO fell  under the Law Enforcement Safety Act (LEOSA/HR218) and he had at least double the required 15 years of service to qualify for a National CCW permit under LEOSA, he still had to wait almost five months for his Nevada CCW permit in Clark County.

The reason why he chose to hold both a LEOSA CCW permit and a Nevada CCW permit is because he purchases a lot of guns, and with the Nevada permit under BATFE rules he would be exempt from the Brady Background Check for gun purchases made in Nevada.

According to him, when he filed his Nevada CCW permit application he told the people at the CCW window that his was a retired LEO with X amount of years of service to the community. He was told that it didn't matter and that he would have to wait the entire 120 day process. He would have been ok with that, except for the fact that he waited almost five months for his Nevada (not the LEOSA) permit.

I can't explain it, but I guess there is a reason why Clark County permits take so long.

NOTE: With every CCW course I conduct I provide the applications for the States of Utah and Florida. I have been told by numerous students over the years that they have mailed their Utah and Florida permit applications the same day that they filed their Nevada permit applications and they received their permits from the other states within three to four weeks, and their Nevada permits showed up between 120 days and five months.

I can't figure it out and I am not going to try to.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I will withhold comment about poor management until further investigation.

...... hold my tongue.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

NOTE: With every CCW course I conduct I provide the applications for the States of Utah and Florida. I have been told by numerous students over the years that they have mailed their Utah and Florida permit applications the same day that they filed their Nevada permit applications and they received their permits from the other states within three to four weeks, and their Nevada permits showed up between 120 days and five months.

I can't figure it out and I am not going to try to.

OK, I lied. I'm not going to hold my tongue.

You shouldn't have to figure it out, Joe.

The simple truth of the matter is that they are in violation of the law. The NRS state that the entire application process must be completed within 120 days.

Regardless whether or not there is some conspiracy theory to the likes of which Steve has alluded, or if its just sheer incompetence, or just laziness, it is entirely unacceptable.

Especially when it becomes the institutionalized modus operandi of certain sheriff's offices that further go out of their way to abuse you during the process if you refuse to jump through the arbitrary and capricious hoops they establish without any legal backing or precedent.

Based on my personal experience, I have become convinced that either Sheriff Peirini, or the Lt. he has delegated the CCW process to (Lt. Paul Howell), firmly resent having to issue permits, or are altogether anti-gun.

Personally, I don't care what an officer's personal politics are, as long as they don't try to impose their views on me by either interfering with my ability to exercise my rights, or even lecturing me on the side of the road about "the dangers of guns."

The problem arises from the fact that I followed the Letter of the Law as laid out in NRS 202.3657, as well as the provisions presented in the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association CCW Application packet, and the Douglas County Sheriffs Office REFUSED to accept my application.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Not like that in Washoe county...I think you will find that only happens when your dealing with cops who hate to see armed citizens so they make you wait intill the last seciond...its nothing more than rip off to you...its thier job to accomplish things in a timely matter.......and this isnt being done. So what if they give them 120 days...does it seem a little excessive that only certain sheriffs offices do this????????????? Douglas County is not a huge metropolitan area.....there are not people beating the doors down for permits. Just shows what assholes they are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow those are some horror stories in wait times. I got mine in 2.5 months here in Clark County- Las Vegas. Must have lucked out or something. Sorry you guys have to wait 120 days damn that is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]

yes it is policy to wait the full 120 days to issue a new permit

That's just not right.  If I see anybody from the DC LEO community this weekend, I'll be sure to pose a question why...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to wait 128 just for them to give me the call to come pick mine up. I wish I could have had a paper trail, because I'd love to have had the Feds come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I guess they don't count weekends as 'days.'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top