Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 9:37:39 PM EDT
I pretty much go every day but it's been pretty damn lonely out there.  Usually just half a dozen other people, mostly sighting in their hunting rifles.  I seem to be the only one rat-tat-tat with my MG.  If you go, I'll be the one on the pistol range shooting .22lr in full auto or from my 1911.  Sure is lonely there these days.  There wasn't even anyone hardly there this Friday, after 5pm - I thought that was unusual.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I go every now and then.  Mostly Sunday mornings.  What time of the day are you usually there?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Working nights affords me time during the day to go. Usually I go early morning during the week as to have the entire range to myself (im a range whore). Occasionally i'll go during the weekend, but am often hurried out of there by unsafe teens playing with daddy's guns.

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It's variable for me.  I go everyday but around my "schedule" which means after whenever-the-hell-I-feel-like-getting-up-o'clock.  Since I like to stay up late, I usually get up around the crack of noon and roll out around 1pm or so.  I tend to hit the range from 1-4pm.  Other people at the range don't bother me - if they do I back them off with some full auto fire from something loud like a .308.  I don't really like to shoot alone as I get enough of that and it burns up the ammo too quickly.  The bs'ing with the others helps slow me down.  Granted, sometimes if I shoot NFA it seems like I spend all my time talking to lookyloos rather than shooting but it's all good - I get to educate people about NFA and spread good will and vanquish common myth/ignorance about it all.  I usually have extra ammo to let other people try my toys.  I only ask that I get to shoot their stuff if I can and in this way I get to try lots of different firearms.

Mikey's daily routine:
1. Get up (no alarm clock, frequent extended snoozing)
2. Check email, ass scratching, shower, shave, more ass scratching and lounging about
3. Go get snack/lunch, perhaps take care of some appointments if time is critical
4. Go shooting
5. Take care of any other business
6. 6:30-7:30 go over, visit the folks, mooch free dinner.  I'm not in town much, they are getting really old so I am trying to get some face time in before they croak. Plus FREE dinner (it's always good!)
7. Go back home and more ass scratching and lounging about, TV, Internet, perhaps a movie at the theater.  Perhaps go spend some money shopping or something and make myself feel better/entertained.

If there is a specific appointment/task or meet with a friend at a particular time then I do so.  If there is anything involving women in a good way, then I ignore my whole schedule until otherwise unoccupied with them.  The last one didn't pan out so that's pretty much a non-issue again.

If anyone actually wants to meet at the range or otherwise, then I do it and set my schedule around it.

I don't do mornings unless there is a reason too.  I'm on vacation so why get up earlier than the crack of noon?

Want to meet sometime at the range?  Want me to bring a particular toy? Tannerite?  Just let me know, can do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to get stationed there, then Ill go shoot with you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be waiting.

So I go to the range today.  There's a woman by herself and spending a long while shooting.  Cool.  I open up with some mag dumps out of my rimfire upper on my M16.  She get's wide eyed and walks over, acting a bit odd.  She herself is shooting a Ruger MkII, Marling semi-automatic rimfire (papoose?), and a mini-14.  She's shooting the Mini-14 on the short pistol range where I am, that's not cool but my range is a bit cowboy without rule enforcement, rangemasters, fees or anything like that.

Her face is a bit windburnt (red).  Talking to her I see now that her face is red from alcohol and she is somewhat shnookered.  Gack, got to keep my beady eye on her just in case I have to duck quickly.

I finally reach the end of another 7000rd case of rimfire shooting through my 1911 and M16, both with rimfire conversions.  The firing pin snaps on my M16 conversion kit, second time it's happened and known to be a weakpoint in the Ceiner "Atchisson" kit.  I've got a spare but it has the first snapped firing pin and I haven't gotten around to replacing them because I have to drive a pin out to do it.  Full auto rimfire over.  Plinking with .22LR alternating with .45ACP now, I didn't bring much else but a cheap 30-06 bolt rifle I am trying to sell.

Luckly, my dependable friend shows up with an Uzi.  Rat-tat-tat!  Starts to malfunction, light primer hits, bolt not flying all the way forward.  I show him the finer points of cleaning the bolt face and CLP.  More rat-tat-tat.  He is shooting reloads loaded with bullets he picked up out in the field after the snow melted on the range, talk about cheap loads.  All safe though, he doesn't take undue chances.

The woman has gone over to the other side of the range, to the rifle range.  Thank goodness.

I'm finding lots of good brass for my friend.  Normally I don't feel like bending over scrounging for brass, but I am killing time until my friend could get there.

Then another friend shows up with his S&W M500 4" with some reloads he wants to test - 43 grains of Hogden 110 behind a 350gr hollowpoint.  The fireball is quite impressive, even in the daylight.  He lets me shoot 5 rounds, I bullseye the target dot on the first shot.  None of the rest make it in but my group is fair - better than his at least. HAR!  You have to hold that sum-beyatch tight otherwise it will leave your hands or comeback and say hello to your head.  Makes one shake a bit straining and no pistol rest this time.

Twas another fine day for me at home - home, home on the range.

rat-atat-tat!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I might be a regular there before too long.  Looking for a place in Fairbanks or North Pole.

Going to a theoretical 4 days on/3 days off and I need to catch up on my range time.  So out of practice it is not funny, and I have several projects that need range testing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top