Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 4:43:21 PM EDT
Does Washington State need a Castle Doctrine?  I mean how are the laws as far as self protection?  I was just curious if we have what we need already or if we need to push the Castle Doctine here?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a shovel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does Washington State need a Castle Doctrine?  I mean how are the laws as far as self protection?  I was just curious if we have what we need already or if we need to push the Castle Doctine here?
Thanks,
Mike

Read the "use of deadly force" section HERE
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You need a shovel.

I have a backhoe and excavator does that count?  I cant find a shovel to fit my hands.........
After reading the link above I guess we can have "gun fights" in the street. So correct me if I'm wrong we already have what constitues as a "Castle Doctrine"?  Is it better or worse than that though?  And as I understand it I can carry on school grounds since I have a concealed carry license?  I always thought that gun free zone was stupid though it pretty much tells a criminal that is easy pickens there as there would not be any resitance.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You need a shovel.

They do frown on the whole heads on a pike in front of the house thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You need a shovel.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You need a shovel.

Build a fence that looks like this:

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And as I understand it I can carry on school grounds since I have a concealed carry license?  

INCORRECT.  (for the most part) there are some situations you can be on grounds w/ firearm,but its limited. I'm sure we'll here from more law savey arfcommers, but here is a blurb from RCW. there are some WAC's that cover certain colleges, but as with anything, ya gotta read all the related laws.

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities -- Penalty -- Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;

(b) Any other dangerous weapon as defined in RCW 9.41.250
;

for more info: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks,
Mike

The states east of the Mississippi are more in need of such laws.  To the west of the Mississippi it generally is not needed, and is definitely not needed here.  You are able to reasonably defend yourself anywhere in this state without regard as to your owning or residing the property of which the attack occurs.  This is much better than giving you permission only in you place of residence (Castle Doctrine), which in some states that is not even allowed.  

As for schools, you may have it while picking up or dropping off your kids, just DO NOT get out of your car with it.  If you leave it in your vehicle it would be like any where else that you do so, make sure it is absolutely out of sight and the vehicle is securely locked.

BTW, I AM NOT a lawyer, and you should research all of this for yourself, and it is all available online in access.wa.gov if you dig far enough.

This leads us to rule number two, never believe anybody on this type of advice, look it up for yourself.

Oh, rule number one, NEVER take such advice from a police officer!  My apologies to officers that really do know their stuff, but my direct experience is that many do not know and sometimes offer terrible advice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks,
Mike

The states east of the Mississippi are more in need of such laws.  To the west of the Mississippi it generally is not needed, and is definitely not needed here.  You are able to reasonably defend yourself anywhere in this state without regard as to your owning or residing the property of which the attack occurs.  This is much better than giving you permission only in you place of residence (Castle Doctrine), which in some states that is not even allowed.  

As for schools, you may have it while picking up or dropping off your kids, just DO NOT get out of your car with it.  If you leave it in your vehicle it would be like any where else that you do so, make sure it is absolutely out of sight and the vehicle is securely locked.

BTW, I AM NOT a lawyer, and you should research all of this for yourself, and it is all available online in access.wa.gov if you dig far enough.

This leads us to rule number two, never believe anybody on this type of advice, look it up for yourself.

Oh, rule number one, NEVER take such advice from a police officer!  My apologies to officers that really do know their stuff, but my direct experience is that many do not know and sometimes offer terrible advice.

Yes I know about advice from police officers, the common citizen knows more about the law then allot of them, no disrespect intended but allot of them really don't know.  I have had a argument with one I know and grew up with over silencers his stance you can own them BUT cannot put them on your gun.  He would not back down even when I gave him proof from the Attorney Generals office.   I also know allot of them are not very good shots as I have been at the same range when some of them were there and wow, good thing they have a few hi capacity magazines.  Again NO disrespect to the ones who take the time to learn how to use all of their tools.  Also to you officers out there Thank You!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#10]
With regard to suppressors your friend is very wrong. You can own them, put them on weapon, just don't shoot through one. The "use" of a suppressor is the key word in the law.

I recommend getting a copy of David Workman's book, "Washington Gun Owner's Rights and Responsibilities". Most gun shops carry it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
With regard to suppressors your friend is very wrong. You can own them, put them on weapon, just don't shoot through one. The "use" of a suppressor is the key word in the law.

I recommend getting a copy of David Workman's book, "Washington Gun Owner's Rights and Responsibilities". Most gun shops carry it.

I will thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
"As for schools, you may have it while picking up or dropping off your kids, just DO NOT get out of your car with it. If you leave it in your vehicle it would be like any where else that you do so, make sure it is absolutely out of sight and the vehicle is securely locked.

Dropping off or picking up...DOES NOT say dont get out of your car with it....if you have it concealed as in any other situation with a permit....and you are in the process of picking up or dropping off it reads legal to me.....waiting outside the car is necessary when picking up grade school age children....Ive never given it any consideration.....Im in the process of  picking up my child, my weapons concealed and I have my permit in my back pocket.  (Im not a blood sucker lawyer)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]
concealed means concealed.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need a shovel.[/quote]

Hard to argue with such logic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"As for schools, you may have it while picking up or dropping off your kids, just DO NOT get out of your car with it. If you leave it in your vehicle it would be like any where else that you do so, make sure it is absolutely out of sight and the vehicle is securely locked.

Dropping off or picking up...DOES NOT say dont get out of your car with it....if you have it concealed as in any other situation with a permit....and you are in the process of picking up or dropping off it reads legal to me.....waiting outside the car is necessary when picking up grade school age children....Ive never given it any consideration.....Im in the process of  picking up my child, my weapons concealed and I have my permit in my back pocket.  (Im not a blood sucker lawyer)

I won't doubt that it is ok got stand by your vehicle, I just wonder how far is safe.  For example, you are picking up your child, but you have to enter the school building to go to the nurses office where your sick child is.  You are still just picking up your child, and concealed, but how far do you figure it can be pushed?  I haven't read it lately, so my advice was based on a little extra caution, but I am curious as to others interpretation.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]
good point now I'am also curious.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Typical SKSGuy....

Picture if you will, an SBR with a fixed suppressor.  

Legal?....mayhaps.

Legal to use in this state? Sadly...probably a big gigantic NO.

Back to arguing with cops...They're good people.  Most of them are in it not for the paycheck but to help...people! (as I see it) I show them respect, they show me it in return.  When they came out to my place for Tannerite I was completely honest.  He wanted to nail my hyde but I showed him L&I's WAC and since they are the issuing authority on "explosives" and they were saying it was exempt...he gave me a speel but ended up leaving with nothing more than a warning (whatever that is)

-Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top