Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 2:07:28 PM EDT
I am getting some gunstore rumors lately some tell me just putting a nut where the mag release button was is not legit, you have to make it permanant?

is this true?

do I have to glue the mag in or locktite the mag release?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
fixed mag thread

None are officially approved by the DOJ, so I'll write you and send a file in a cake
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
where does the law say that you need a tool to undue the magazine?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The definition in 12276.1 says an AW is a "semiauto rifle capable of accepting a detachable magazine and <pistol grip, folding stock, ... list of evil features...>".

This is the configuration you DON'T want (for now).  So the mag must be nondetachable - and thus fixed.  In addition it must be 10rds or less so it doesn't create an assault weapon by the alternate definition.

The definition of "detachable magazine" is in Calif Code of Regulation sec 978.20(a), and which mentions that a tool is not required.  

Thus, for these rifles, the mag should only be removable with "tool(s) + time".  It should also be installed before the pistol grip and/or telestock, etc. are installed, or removed only after the pistol grip and/or telestock, etc.  have been removed.  Never have a pistol grip and/or telestock on an off-list AR lower if the mag well is empty.

Please read the FAQ at Calguns:   www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

978.20 Definitions

The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
 (a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that  can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

Just because you can't simply push a button to remove it, doesn't technically make it not readily removable.  Hope this helps!

Technowizard

edited.... doh, I don't type fast enough do I bwiese?!  LoL...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the DoJ have the authority to update the CCR definition of detachable magazine?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top