Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:59:13 PM EDT
So I go to pick up the latest blaster at my dealer, and I get delayed....

I wait around for about 40 minutes and no luck on a call back.

Hasn't happened in 8+ years....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
VA State was probably doing a computer upgrade or something...it's not too uncommon.
JT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my first delay this year too.   took 20 hours for the call back.....  good luck
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Not yet had that happen, but been around when it has to others. Dealer suggests popping over to the mall for a movie or something and then check back. I'd have been pissed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Ed, I've had a few customers delayed that normally are instantly approaved.  Each time it has been because of some problem with the system.

Also, once the VASP gets behind in transfer approval's due to a system outage it can be awhile before they get caught up and start calling the dealers back.  If your in tight with your dealer ask him to give the FTC a call and check on the status, it's likely the transfer has been approaved and the operators just haven't got around to calling your dealer back.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I go to pick up the latest blaster at my dealer, and I get delayed....

I wait around for about 40 minutes and no luck on a call back.

Hasn't happened in 8+ years....

Welcome to the club.  My quickest was 10min about 2 weeks ago when I bought my complete LMT lower.  I decided to leave off my SS#  on the state form and see what happened.  And it was quicker.  Normally mine is 30min to 4hrs on average but it's gone a day before on more than one occasion.

We have a live computer system to the VA State Police at VA Arms which seems faster than most phone call-ins and sometimes we get the computer printed approval before they call back on an (EBC) if it's not an instant approval.  They're required to call us back even though we get a printed approval.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
It happens to everyone, I have a buddy who is a deputy his name is J---- Smith. He has never had one go faster than 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there a separate unit doing background checks? I ask b/c in NH the NHSP dispatchers do the background checks. So, if things are hopping out on the road background checks get put off until it quiets down. Jsut a thought...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is there a separate unit doing background checks? I ask b/c in NH the NHSP dispatchers do the background checks. So, if things are hopping out on the road background checks get put off until it quiets down. Jsut a thought...

Yes, there is an entire unit called the Firearms Transaction Center in the Chesterfield VSP HQ. They are just down the hall from the criminal records division, whatever it's called. Pretty nifty set up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been delayed the last 2 times I purchased. What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Turns out that had I wiated a full hour I would have gotten approved last night.  40 minutes wasn't enough, but 1 hour was........

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Turns out that had I wiated a full hour I would have gotten approved last night.  40 minutes wasn't enough, but 1 hour was........

Oh -- of course. Now I see....makes perfect sense......
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been waiting 6 days now not including the weekend.  I'm really wondering whats going on.  I have a CWP and have purchased handguns before so who knows?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't want to be delayed...then quit buying from dealers.  After a string of lengthy delays I decided that unless there was some extrodinary reason to buy from a dealer I wouldn't.  There is almost nothing on the market today that has not been sold through the EE.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it is time to break out the old, trusty tin foil hat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#18]
About three months ago when I purchased my latest handgun I waited around for over three hours. I killed time at the drug store around the corner reading magazines. Wait a pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top