Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 5:13:01 PM EDT
Looking for defensive handgun instruction.  Recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a variety of training opportunities from first rate instructors at the Boon County Sheriff's Dept. range every year.  Contact Capt. Ken Campbell [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ken Campbell hosts several different instructors just north of Indy.  TDI in Ohio is a great school and is only about 3 hours from Indy.  Also several schools will bring a class to your range if you want to act as the class host.

I teach for Tactical Response out of Camden, Tennessee.  It's about a 6 hour trip to our home range but we are teaching a traveling class in Lebanon, IL (near St. Louis) on October 22 - 23.  I'm also running two days of Force on Force scenarios in Indianapolis in November but that class requires prior training.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You just missed a Level II Handgun course from www.f-r-i.com; held at the Atlanta Conservation Club in early September. We're hoping to have multiple dates there next year.

Also, +1 for Captain Ken @ BCSD.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There are a variety of training opportunities from first rate instructors at the Boon County Sheriff's Dept. range every year.  Contact Capt. Ken Campbell [email protected]

Mr. Campbell has been emailed.  Thanks rhino & Shooter!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You're welcome.

I strongly recommend Capt. Ken's two day "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class that he teaches several times each year.  For $150 and the level of instruction you get, you can't beat the bargain.  Capt. Ken brings a lot of very talented and well known instructors to teach at Boone Co., but he's also a first rate instructor in his own right.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent Mr. Campbell an email as well.  I have wanted to get some training for a while but have been put off due to the need to travel.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]

I strongly recommend Capt. Ken's two day "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class that he teaches several times each year.  For $150 and the level of instruction you get, you can't beat the bargain.  Capt. Ken brings a lot of very talented and well known instructors to teach at Boone Co., but he's also a first rate instructor in his own right.

I took that exact class there last year and Ken is indeed a good instructor.  IIRC he also teaches at Gunsite in AZ sometimes.  The "range helper" for my class was Brent Wheat, who has a column in SWAT magazine.  This class was clearly aimed at beginners--and we had some in my class that I think hadn't fired their guns before the class--but it covered the basics up through multiple targets and malfunction clearances and will serve as a foundation for future classes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I took that exact class there last year and Ken is indeed a good instructor.  IIRC he also teaches at Gunsite in AZ sometimes.  The "range helper" for my class was Brent Wheat, who has a column in SWAT magazine.  This class was clearly aimed at beginners--and we had some in my class that I think hadn't fired their guns before the class--but it covered the basics up through multiple targets and malfunction clearances and will serve as a foundation for future classes.

Mike-what did you have to bring?  I'm looking forward to the instruction, the man has some impressive credentials.  I'm glad I asked about this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Gun, holster, mag carrier, 400rds of ammo, eye & ear protection, check for $150.  The registration form will have the details.

I don't remember if he specified a holster type or not.  Everyone I saw was using a strong-side, so I don't know if he would have allowed a crossdraw or shoulder holster or not.  One lady had a "thunderwear" type as well as a regular belt holster and he had her use the belt one for the class.   I used a Kahr 9mm and the Galco IWB the seller included with it.  You'll need a way to carry at least one spare magazine too.  I used a Fobus double carrier for the class.  

I think he specified factory ammo.  I used Win USA bulk from Wally World.  He said bring 400rds but I think we only shot about 250.  He'll let you pick up your brass, but don't expect to get any back.  At the end of the class everybody will go out and police the range and I got maybe a couple dozen cases back.  (All of the brass is saved and traded in for training ammo for the dept. so just consider it a donation to help keep the classes going.)

IIRC the application asked for gun type, so he'll probably tell you when you sign up if you can bring what you have.  First thing he did on the first day (after lunch, the morning was classroom) was have everybody holster up and he and Brent went down the line checking out what everybody had.  

No need for knee or elbow pads or gloves or anything like that.  Wear comfortable shoes/boots since you'll be standing pretty much all afternoon the first day and all of the second day.  Dress for the weather since they'll shoot rain or shine.  (We had upper 70s and sunny.)  Sunscreen and a hat are a good idea.  The range has a covered area with picnic tables where you'll load mags between relays but the range itself isn't covered.  I think he provided water outside and maybe coffee in the classroom (I don't drink coffee, so didn't pay too much attention).   Everyone got a notepad, folder, pen, gun lock, and some other odds n ends in the classroom.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top