Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2006 4:30:49 PM EDT
Okay folks, here's the details.  SCOOP and Rabbit9's excellent adventures will be holding there next tactical rifle match at the Carolina Star ( www.carolinastar.com ) on Dec. 30, 2006.  Registration for the match will begin at 0830, with a safety briefing at 0845, and shooting to begin promptly at 0900 hrs.  The match fee is $20.  The match will consist of four COF's with a minimum round count of 115; bring PLENTY of ammunition.  Targets will consist of bowling pins, steel plates, and IDPA Silhouettes, which will be engaged from contact to 200 yards.  IDPA silhouettes will require a minimum of two scoring rounds unless otherwise stated, static steel will require one hit, and reactive targets will be scored up or down.

The first COF is a modified "Smoke and Hope" stage.  IDPA silhouettes will be set at seven and fourteen yards with a single static steel plate at forty yards.  The shooter will engage the targets, perform a mandatory reload, and engage all targets a second time to end the string.  The fun comes when the shooter repeats this string from a weak side firing position.

The second COF is a barricade stage.  The shooter will engage IDPA silhouettes and reactive steel plates from 5-30 yards while moving across a barricade position.

The third stage will be our equalizer.  Targets will be bowling pins at 100 yards, reactive steel plates at 150 yards, and a single IDPA silhouette at 200 yards; reactive targets will be scored up or down, but the IDPA silhouette will require a minimum of five scoring rounds.  The shooter will engage his choice of targets from the starting position, the 25 yard line, and the 50 yard line.  The shooter will engage each bank of targets from either the standing, kneeling, or prone position, but may only engage one bank of targets from each shooting position and distance.  The shooter will have a maximum of twenty rounds to achieve the required fifteen scoring hits.  Pick your poison.....

The fourth and final stage will be our signature Shoot House.  The targets will be IDPA silhouettes from contact to fifteen yards.  The shooter will negotiate the Shoot House, engage all shoot targets, and avoid perforating the No-Shoot targets.  

Our standard rules apply:

1) ABSOLUTELY NO STEEL CORE OR AP AMMUNITION! (SS109 / M855 / steel core 7.62x39 / etc.)
Folks, we're shooting steel; ricochets are dangerous, and damage to the plates is VERY expensive.  Use of steel core / AP ammunition will disqualify you from this match, and all future matches; if it's even questionable, don't shoot it.

2) One Gun - One Optic.  Your rifle is allowed to have only one optic, and must remain in the same configuration throughout the match.  Back Up Iron Sights are allowed.  We shoot open class, and use this rule to prevent equipment based advantages.  In other words, your scope might be a huge advantage at the distant targets, but it won't be of much help when the targets are ten yards away.  We design the COF's to test the skill of the shooter; iron sights are no disadvantage.

As usual, guns and gear will be available for those that need them.  We ask that you supply new, commercial .223 ammunition for use in these weapons.

We expect that we will have good attendance at this match, and as the match has a high round count, we must request that all persons planning to shoot the match be present for the safety briefing.  In the past, we have given individual safety briefings to those who have arrived after the group briefing.  Due to time constraints, we will not be able to accommodate those shooters who arrive after the group safety briefing; please be on time, and come prepared to shoot (gear ready / magazines loaded).

We look forward to seeing you there.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by E-mail / IM.

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Hope it warms up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Hope it warms up.

With as many rounds as we'll be firing, we can use our barrels to keep us warm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
2) One Gun - One Optic.  Your rifle is allowed to have only one optic, and must remain in the same configuration throughout the match.

If you have a variable power scope like a Leupold CQ/T, are you allowed to change the magnification from 1x to 3x?  I'm thinking about driving over for the match.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2) One Gun - One Optic.  Your rifle is allowed to have only one optic, and must remain in the same configuration throughout the match.

If you have a variable power scope like a Leupold CQ/T, are you allowed to change the magnification from 1x to 3x?  I'm thinking about driving over for the match.

Absolutely no problem with the CQT.  The one optic rule is there to prevent the gear junkies from shooting their Aimpoint's in the Shoot House, their ACOG's on the mid-range courses, and their Leupold LRT's on the distance courses.  The one gun rule applies to the SBR's, Carbine's, and SPR's in much the same fashion.  We shoot open class, so you can configure your rifle however you want, but to win, you must be proficient across all distances, and shooting situations.  We take a great deal of pride in designing matches that test the abilities of the shooter; one of our more recent matches was won by an older shooter with a 20" HBAR.

One optic is one optic; the features are just a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 3:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#7]
How far is this range from Atlanta?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
www.carolinastar.com/

Link to the location. May be best to mapquest it for a time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Does an Aimpoint M3 sight with a 3x magnifier (on a flip mount) behind it qualify as "one sight"?  If so I may be there.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally posted by MadDogDan
Does an Aimpoint M3 sight with a 3x magnifier (on a flip mount) behind it qualify as "one sight"? If so I may be there.
MadDog

Quoted:
2) One Gun - One Optic.  Your rifle is allowed to have only one optic, and must remain in the same configuration throughout the match.  Back Up Iron Sights are allowed.  We shoot open class, and use this rule to prevent equipment based advantages.  In other words, your scope might be a huge advantage at the distant targets, but it won't be of much help when the targets are ten yards away.  We design the COF's to test the skill of the shooter; iron sights are no disadvantage.

MadDog,

You can use it as long as the magnifier stays in position behind the Aimpoint for the entire match (ie, no flipping the magnifier back & forth between stages).  The point is to pick which works best overall and stick with it as Rabbit9 explained in his post above.  If it were me, I'd ditch the magnifier and just use the Aimpoint.  We'd love to have you come shoot with us.  Personally, I plan on winning the whole thing with my  Comp M3.

Scoop
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I put together one real ugly mutt gun to bring to the shoot. It only hung up three times today when I tried to sight it in. Guess I better load some 40s if I am going to hit anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
j3_

It's always interesting to see what you're gonna show up with next  Glad you're up-and-around again.  Look forward to shooting with you Saturday.

Scoop
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to say thanks to Scoop & Rabbit for putting together a great shoot. I did arrive too late to compete, (loooooong ass drive from Canton), but I did meet some great folks and look forward to shooting in the next one. I think I might be able to talk Sandy into shooting in one also.

Thanks guys, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for putting on another great match. Really enjoyed it. Sorry I had to leave before the final clean up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for putting on another great match. Really enjoyed it. Sorry I had to leave before the final clean up.

No worries J, we had plenty of help.  I know the match went long and several people needed to head out for home.  I tried to pack a lot of shooting into this match, but we had quite a crowd, so it just took awhile to finish.  I just hope that everyone had a good time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top