Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 8:08:35 AM EDT
I am running out of cash already with all the new camera gear I just bought.
But I realize I need a GPS for a few areas I am going to when I go exploring Utah for my vacation.

I will be all alone on this trip.

If any of my fine brothers out there would be willing to loan me there GPS unit and give me a quick lesson,
I'd be extremly greatful.

I just don't have an $350 to spend right now on getting on of my own.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
But I realize I need a GPS for a few areas I am going to when I go exploring Utah for my vacation.

If any of my fine brothers out there would be willing to loan me there GPS unit and give me a quick lesson,

I'll ask our hog guide if he will loan you his compass.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

No thanks, I don't want to get lost.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

TRG

Yeah, that would help.

Legs.  There are GPSs that would cost about $100 + or so.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an extra Garmin eTrex Vista I can send down to you if you get it back to me in a relatively short time.

The BEST one is the Garmin 76S (all the features of the Vista, barometer, electronic compass, hi res, lots of ram to download maps).

If you can give me the area you are in, I can preload the entire topo map for it.  holds about 200 square miles of detailed topo, depending on area (holds entire STATE of South Dakota).

Anybody closer have one?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have an extra Garmin eTrex Vista I can send down to you if you get it back to me in a relatively short time.

The BEST one is the Garmin 76S (all the features of the Vista, barometer, electronic compass, hi res, lots of ram to download maps).

If you can give me the area you are in, I can preload the entire topo map for it.  holds about 200 square miles of detailed topo, depending on area (holds entire STATE of South Dakota).

Anybody closer have one?

I would send it back to you the very next day when I get back.

I would need all of the Escalante area of Utah, from the towns of Boulder south to Bigwater Utah.
Needles District of the Canyonlands.
The area between a town called Vernal Utah and Bonanza Utah.
The Bisti Wilderness area which is south of Farmington New Mexico.

I plan on going fossil hunting and these areas are out in the middle of nowhere.
Otherswise I will be in park areas and I am familiar with them enough.

Thanks Brass, if you do end up sending it, rest assured I will treat and protect it well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
WalMart has a 90-day return policy... and there are plenty of models that cost less than $350....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
WalMart has a 90-day return policy... and there are plenty of models that cost less than $350....

Your right, damn I hate typing that.

Garmin eTrex Legend GPS Unit

I can swing this.
You guys think this one os ok?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WTF?

WTF?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right, damn I hate typing that.

i.walmart.com/i/p/00/75/37/59/03/0075375903018_215X215.jpg
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS Unit

I can swing this.
You guys think this one os ok?

This is one of the most popular models. The silver one being next... you can find them online cheap.... I forget the web site, but I think Botach has them... Check out the geocaching.com site to see which sites they recommend-- they have a sponsor that gives excellent discounts for geocachers....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a Garmin GPS III you can borrow. Shoot me an e-mail if interested.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Garmin GPS III you can borrow. Shoot me an e-mail if interested.

[email protected]

Thanks Renegade, I just order the Garmin eTrex Legend since it was only $162.92.
Now I will have to add the maps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]
ETrex Legend has a crappy antenna.  Notice you can't see it?  It's a known issue with the unit.

If you're outdoors, you may be okay with the antenna issue.  I wish you luck!  Sounds like a hell of a fun trip!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ETrex Legend has a crappy antenna.  Notice you can't see it?  It's a known issue with the unit.

If you're outdoors, you may be okay with the antenna issue.  I wish you luck!  Sounds like a hell of a fun trip!

Good thing about that return policy at Wal-mart then.
If it sucks, then it will be sent back after the trip.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
What's wrong with learning to read a compass and topo map?  Last I've seen, neither uses a battery.

mm
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The Legend isnt all that bad.  He will not be under a lot of tree cover, but maybe in a valley or rut...no GPS will give accurate readings if you cannot see the horizon - the satellites would be right above him and the GPSr would have HUGE error in calculation!

I use a Vista and it is okay.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The eTrex legend is the one right under the Vista I was gonna send.

Antenna does have some slight issues, but still useable, but not running in your pocket.

The 76S fixes all of those issues.  The new RINO has everything the 76S has and FRS/GMRS, but not sure on that, haven't played with it yet.

Otherwise, let me know if you would be willing to keep an offsite backup of some CD's.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Think WalMart!

Every year for hunting season they are always willing to loan me the latest and greatest GPS they offer.  At the end of the season they always take it back with a smile.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What's wrong with learning to read a compass and topo map?  Last I've seen, neither uses a battery.

mm

Ask TRG's guides.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Think WalMart!

Every year for hunting season they are always willing to loan me the latest and greatest GPS they offer.  At the end of the season they always take it back with a smile.

[Shaking my head]  Sigh

I'm glad I don't work at that WalMart, or I would lock the store every time I see you approaching.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Think WalMart!

[Shaking my head]  Sigh

I'm glad I don't work at that WalMart, or I would lock the store every time I see you approaching.

Seems like he did this for a pair of boots one time when he came out to the Hun farm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Otherwise, let me know if you would be willing to keep an offsite backup of some CD's.  

I will be loading some tonight now.

The GPS just came in the mail today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Think WalMart!

Where is the honor in that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

mm

I'm with you, but where can I get your standard military topo maps?  Need one for the hun farm.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

I'm with you, but where can I get your standard military topo maps?  Need one for the hun farm.

TXL

I did this the first three trips to Utah.
Go try navigating a massive canyon maze for miles sometime and come talk to me.

I swear, some of you guys have never left the state of Texas and you think your a survivalist.
The same people seem to get lost in their own back yard.
<cough>theredgoat</cough>
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
[

I swear, some of you guys have never left the state of Texas and you think your a survivalist.

I've done this in the ice covered and fog filled mountains and canyons in Korea in the middle of winter.  The thick forests of coastal Virginia, the swamps of Florida and a relatively unknown area of Escalante in Utah.  It's much more fun doing this at night during a thunderstorm when you've already been out for 6 days.

TxL, USGS has topo maps of just about everywhere.  Civilian maps and compasses use standard lat-long instead of the grid coordinate of military maps.  You can get a standard protractor and use them the same way as you were taught in the army.

BTW Legs, did anyone let you know that GPS doesn't work if you are travelling downhill?

mm
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

a relatively unknown area of Escalante in Utah.  It's much more fun doing this at night during a thunderstorm when you've already been out for 6 days.

BTW Legs, did anyone let you know that GPS doesn't work if you are travelling downhill?

mm

I will be in this area. Smokey mountain road, Hole in the rock road and Cottonwood rd.
At least three days of the trip will be in this area.

Never heard of the down hill thing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Guys.  Let's plan a vacation together for one week, sometime next yr, doing whatever we decide, either camping, hiking, beach, etc.....  What do you think?

BTW, Legs.  When do you hit the road?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My experience is that the person with the GPS unit is so intent at watching the screen. They'll trip and tumble all the way down the hill. GPS is useless in this instance.

mm
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience is that the person with the GPS unit is so intent at watching the screen. They'll trip and tumble all the way down the hill. GPS is useless in this instance.

mm

OWNED!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Guys.  Let's plan a vacation together for one week, sometime next yr, doing whatever we decide, either camping, hiking, beach, etc.....  What do you think?

BTW, Legs.  When do you hit the road?

I was thinking about this several times.
This would be a great place.

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
southwest.fws.gov/refuges/oklahoma/Wichita/

Its about 4 hours away and I know the area well. Been there six times.
Another cool area would be Palo Duro canyon near Amarillo.

Need to do it when its cool out. Maybe in the fall.

But I go to Utah every year so it would be great if some of you guys wanted to come along.
TRG and FALARAK have expressed an interest in going with me next time.

TRG could have come with me this trip, but he is too fat and out of shape to go.
Plus he would just wander off and get lost...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

I almost rear ended someone because I was looking at the screen,
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

But I go to Utah every year so it would be great if some of you guys wanted to come along.

Heck, that would be cool.  I'm game, depending on when.

TRG could have come with me this trip, but he is too fat and out of shape to go.

That's why TRG's guides are there to help.........Wait a sec.  They would be lost also.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heck, that would be cool.  I'm game, depending on when.

That's why TRG's guides are there to help.........Wait a sec.  They would be lost also.

I will be the guide at these places. So no one will be getting lost.

We will tie a rope to TRG's hand like they do in pre school so he can't wonder off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#37]
You are some funnny, funnnny guys.

Let's go hunting.  Ignore the shallow graves alongside the trails...

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top