Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 3:38:06 PM EDT
Well I am about to tell you all a sad tale of the latest goings on here at Higgimw central.  It all starts about 5 or 6 weeks ago when my mum calls and says she has acquired a couple of kittens from my uncle and my wife and I need to go up to Miami to see the little rats.  Well....we finally make arrangements to get up there and the very morning we are to leave she calls and says the cats have passed ringworms to her dogs.  Yes to her dogs.  We decide to wait a week to go visit so they can have some time to get the plague under control.  We call the next week to see if everything is a go and she assures me that we are safe to bring our 4 dogs up for a visit. We had a great visit over a long 4th of July weekend and returned to Chickasha safely.  Not one week after our return we were playing with our Jack Russell and noticed sores on her belly.  I am sure you know where this is going.  Yep....Ringworms on our million dollar dog.  Not a day later we noticed some sores on our little Jack-cocker mix. That's the one whose hair is all over my AR in the pics I posted.  SO let the meds begin.  We treated the bacteria with Tinactin and lotrimin salve and felt like we were making head way.  Last night our pit mix came to bed to snuggle and I noticed a sore on her shoulder.  I got up, turned on the lights and sure as heck she had acquired ringworms as well.  Not only on her shoulder but other places as well.  So far the only dog we have that has not shown an infection is our beagle mix.  I went the vet this morning and was informed that oral meds are required.  This ended up costing $90.00 by the way.  Ironically we took them in two days ago for their yearly shots and worming and that only cost us $220.00.  I was also told that this would not be adequate to treat them entirely and when they ran out these meds we would need to purchase at least one more round. So the moral of the story is don't take your dogs any place that has had a ringworm out break or you are destined to have purchase a bunch of medication from your vet in order to stop it.  Just thought I would share this with you in hopes of saving you a similar fate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
OR you could not have so many dogs

We have 4 too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm telling you I love my mutts, but there are times when it is tempting to haul them to the pound.

I'm kidding of course.  We don't have kids so they fill a pretty big gap around here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So the moral of the story is don't take your dogs any place that has had a ringworm out break or you are destined to have purchase a bunch of medication from your vet in order to stop it.  Just thought I would share this with you in hopes of saving you a similar fate.

I'm surprised that this catches anyone by surprise. 95% of animal owners do jack shit for their charges.  I very rarely take our dogs to an outside place.  Got too much room here for them to roam on; one of the reasons why we live where we live.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
We got 5 dogs....takes alot of work to keep them all clean and healthy. Little bastards.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
True statement Junker.  Just trying to save someone else from making a bone-headed move like I did.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
It could be worse, someone brought a dog with parvo to the shot clinic at my work place on Saturday. I loved soaking myself with bleach after they left the store.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Where do you work?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It could be worse, someone brought a dog with parvo to the shot clinic at my work place on Saturday. I loved soaking myself with bleach after they left the store.

That sux.  Did they not tell you before hand what it was? How about the dog? Did little guy make it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
damn, I guess I'm the only guy that still buys the wormer pills/yearly shots at the feed store and gives to the dogs myself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
damn, I guess I'm the only guy that still buys the wormer pills/yearly shots at the feed store and gives to the dogs myself.

No, you're not.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I did until we moved to town.  They won't give a tag for the little rats that way.  SO if they get out and get picked up, the people at the pound make you buy shots again.  Not cool.  It is just easier for me to take them in and get them done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top