Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:38:24 PM EDT
I have recently been invited to help a gentleman with his coyote problem.  Never been.  Anyone around here hunt yotes much?  Not sure if I will go; I don't really know what to do with 'em.  I am mainly a pheasant hunter.  I could sell the pelts I guess.

As I understand, it is legal to take coyotes with a centerfire rifle.  However, I can't find any regulations on barrel length or magazine capacity.  Can I use an AK or AR (M4gery)?  I don't have much else suitable if I can't except maybe a .30-30, but I think that is too much gun.  I also have a 6" bbl .357 Mag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use an AR and should. 5 rounds in the mag max.

An AK and a .30-30 are ballistically just about identical.

You can also im me if you are in Lake or McHenry county, be glad to help
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You will never get close enough to a coyote to shoot it with a handgun unless you are extremelu lucky. I had two dogs about 15 meters away from the cab of my truck last year. They crossed 14 just west of Woodstock and I immmediately followed them a ways off the road. It was like they knew how much I love coyotes and let me watch them as they scamped off. They knew without a doubt there was no AR behind the seat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch out Cody. Looks like there going after your family.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Whoops!

I've been over the hunting digest time and again and have never seen anything about mag capacity before.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I thought 5 rounds in the mag max was law also but it is incorrect. . I e-mailed the DNR to inquire about this and this was the reply I got.

The IDNR does not regulate the number of rounds in a rifle magazine for the taking of coyotes. You may want to check with your local authorities to ensure that there are no local ordinances that would prohibit the discharge  of such rifles within the county. - Jill Willis, Duty Officer, IDNR, Office of Law Enforcement

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know where you are hunting,  but you should have been in my backyard last night ! !

A whole pack of 'em came through.............Twice ! !      Maybe an hour between them waking me up,

Twice ! ! !

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be all for some coyote hunting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Take your AR and have a blast.

Ammo tips anyone?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Take your AR and have a blast.

Ammo tips anyone?

Get yourself a "Cottontail screamer" call and some 62 grain hollowpoints and you are ready to rock!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I coyote hunt quite a bit, and it can be tough.  First rule is play the wind.  Never call with the wind at your back.  If you expect them to come from a certain direction, never set up where they will smell you first.  When you start calling, start soft.  Call for about 30 seconds to a minute then stop for about 5 minutes.  Then call again increasing your volume.  Continue this for a half hour.  If no coyotes in that time frame, they probably won't show.  Be watchful as you exit your hunt site.  I have spooked them walking out on several occasions.  As far as ammo, I like to use ballistic tip ammo.  If you happen to miss, it will blow up much more quickly than a more solid round.  If you have learned to use a howler, they can be good as a locator call.  Best time to hunt is in the winter, but I have read some experts who think this time of year is good also.    
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Other than selling the pelts yourself, another idea that I have heard is to find a local trapper to take them off your hands….Maybe for cash?  I think I might give this a try after deer season.

I have called them in with everything from a $5 Primos “The Mouse Squeeze” to a $400 electronic call.  I have only used my AR once though, dropping one at 109 yards (Winchester 45 GR. JHP Varmint loads).  I have gone a few times with my bow, but they are the most jumpy game I have seen.

You may want to give this site a try for more tips. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/

You may also want to look into the regulations on barrel length.  On page 7 of the Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations it states that the minimum barrel length is 18 inches. h
Happy hunting!hn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top