Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 2:52:43 PM EDT
I didn't post this in the Eqpt. Exchange because I figured maybe someone here has seen one at a local gun store for a reasonable price.

A Converted AR is probably closer to my price range, but a factory M16 would be OK too.

Anyone seen any around or know someone that has one for sale??
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
all i can say is wtf.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That isn't much help

Finally have some fundage........just looking for a new toy!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
all i can say is wtf.

+1

I'm not understanding what you mean "converted AR".

i think he wants to buy an M16 or an AR with a registered sear.

check out subguns. they have lots of goodies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey RDP,

Last year a close buddy of mine in Arizona purchased a brand new, never fired Colt A2, M16 for $15,500.00.

Just the other night we were talking about registered sears and registered lightning links and the cost of those compared to a registered lower. Some of the sears are up well over 9K and some are even higher, and the Lightning Links are selling for over 6K.

I guess that you'll just have to keep looking and be sure to have the cash on hand to strike when the iron is hot.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
A converted AR could also mean one that was converted to a full-auto via a pinned auto sear, i.e. an M-16 that says AR15 on the side.  I'm talking about a legal, pre-86 conversion.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
There's actually a very nice section on this board that deals with most aspects of full auto weapons, including the various means of legal full auto conversion and their pros and cons. I won't go into much detail, but the answers are right here on this board if any of you are really interested in learning a thing or two.

A converted gun is exactly that. It ain't rocket science guys. It's an AR type receiver or conversion device that was registered with BATF prior to May 1986. There are as many different receiver conversions as there were "manufacturers". Back in the day, all you had to do was fill out a Form 1, mail it to BATF along with two hundred dollars, and once that came back approved, you could mill and drill your own full auto gun. Many individuals as well as gunsmiths did just that. Some of these are kitchen table Dremmel hack jobs, and some are beautifully milled and drilled. Legal semi auto conversion guns are usually referred to as REGISTERED RECEIVER or RR guns, and I'm certain this is what RDP was making reference to as a conversion.

At the end of last year, the market on most full auto guns seemed a bit soft and many RR M16s were selling for less than $10,000. Well, that was several months ago.... Prices have spiked again and I haven't seen anything selling for less than about $12,000 . A couple of new uppers on the horizon including a .22 beltfed upper that's now shipping and another American 180 drum fed upper that looks very promising may have helped push prices upwards. The multitude of  simple and fast caliber conversions make this one of the very best full auto weapons available to the civilians IMHO, and the list of available accessories is mind boggling.

Other registered and legal conversion devices worth mentioning are the LL or lighting Link, which is the least desirable and least expensive full auto conversion method. The RDIAS or Registered Drop In Auto Sear is in most RKI's opinions a better option than a RR but also commands as much or more as a RR if and when you find one for sale. If you should suffer an OOB or otherwise KABOOM your valuable transferable receiver, you're potentially out a lot of money. The RDIAS is a simple devise that you can move from cheap host gun to host gun. Whish I'd bought one a few years back when I located one here in town for the then princely sum of $3,500. WAY to much money for a small piece of metal back then. It's very much akin to an H&K sear in size, price, and versatility. Hind sight is always crystal clear huh?

Locally, Dan Shea, at LMO had a M16 for sale recently.  www.longmountain.com/
Nothing's reasonable in the title two world. If it is, I'll buy it on price alone. Chiz45 will verify that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a good place to search as well. You have to constantly check it all day because so many people post there.

www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
One more very good dealer to try. www.klomont.com/ Kent Lomont has been around for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
There's always Airsoft.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A converted AR could also mean one that was converted to a full-auto via a pinned auto sear, i.e. an M-16 that says AR15 on the side.  I'm talking about a legal, pre-86 conversion.  

Hell, many of our M16A1's in the Army said AR15 on the side
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top