Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:57:37 AM EDT
Hi Folks,

I'm a new AR15 owner in CT and I'm thinking about  possibly joining a range just over the line in MASS. Now, my first question is, it it legal to bring my AR into mass for puposes of going to the range? I know mass doesnt allow 30 rd clips, only 10 and I only have 20 and 30 rd clips. My buddy says yes as long as I'm gong to a range, but I'm not so sure.

The other range I was looking at was the East Windsor Sportsman Club in CT. Anyone have an experience with this range? What are the benefits/disadvantages of a public range versus a private?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
There's no exemption for range visits, only organized competitions.  You'd have to apply for a Temporary Class-B Non-Resident permit and then reapply every year.  

Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods though.  We're you looking at the Southwick club?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, the southwick club.  Any recommendations for relatively inexpensive ranges in the area?

I'm assuming then that getting together with a buddy or two and going to the range doesnt qualify as an organized event.

oh well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yep, the southwick club.  Any recommendations for relatively inexpensive ranges in the area?

You've got IM.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I didnt recieve it. I tried sending you one and it didnt show up in my sent box either.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Turn on your IMs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]
turned em on. thanks. please resend IM.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If I bought a couple of 10 round clips could I then go to this range in Mass or would I still have to get a class B license?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You need a ClassB to be in posession of the rifle regardless of the magazines.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
First, AR15s are NOT fed by "clips" . . . they are magazines! Stripper clips feed mags, not AR15s. Little nit that some of us are sensitive about.

Second, to POSSESS any firearm, mag, ammo, or components (including spent .22LR shells) in MA, you MUST have a permit or you are facing a long jail term (treated much more seriously than murder in this warped state).

ONLY exceptions to the need of a MA LTC (NR) is to attend a "match" (organized event for which you have proof with you) or gun show/exhibition. Range visits are NOT exempt!

MA NR LTC cost $100/year and take 3-6 months to process for new or renewal. Although we can hope that the new MIRCS (computerized) system will speed this up, I have no data to prove this to be the case yet.

20 and 30 rd mags are perfectly legal in MA with at least a LTC-B (NRs get issued LTC-A, even better), as long as they are PRE-BAN mags. NO new mags of >10 rd allowed in the state even if you are a visitor, attending a match, have a NR LTC, etc. Possession of >10 rd ("no ban" or LE/Mil mags by non-LE) is a 10 year felony PER MAG!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top