Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:50:57 PM EDT
There I was on HWY 52, on my way back from Rochester. I've got the cruise set on 74.... I see a car in the median and move over to the right lane.... about 3-4 miles later I see headlights pull in behind me.... then comes the gumball machine!

I pull out my license and carry permit. Pass both to the ossifer. (I'm truly polite to him)
He verifies that I'm carrying a hand gun, and asks me to keep both hands on the door's window sill.
(He states that he knows it isn't comfortable, but that he will keep it short)
I comply
End story, "Hold it down a bit" (verbal warning)

Greg Sullivan of Defensive Edge suggested the license and permit on a traffic stop.
It sure seemed to work for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably saying "what da problem ossifer" earned you points too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you hickup and slur your words?  That usually doesn't work for me

All kidding aside, he's probably looking for drunks.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it is not fun working on holidays!   Somethings are 24/7/365, usually LE, Fire, EMS, and Healthcare!  The best MVC's happen on holidays, oops that is sick humor talking.  The most tragic!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There I was on HWY 52, on my way back from Rochester. I've got the cruise set on 74.... I see a car in the median and move over to the right lane.... about 3-4 miles later I see headlights pull in behind me.... then comes the gumball machine!

I pull out my license and carry permit. Pass both to the ossifer. (I'm truly polite to him)
He verifies that I'm carrying a hand gun, and asks me to keep both hands on the door's window sill.
I comply

Greg Sullivan of Defensive Edge suggested the license and permit on a traffic stop.

What are you complaining about?  You got a warning didn't you?  So the officer asked you to keep your hands where he could see them.  So what?  I don;t see the problem
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I comply

What are you complaining about?  You got a warning didn't you?  So the officer asked you to keep your hands where he could see them.  So what?  I don;t see the problem

Did I complain?

I thought not.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Whenever I get pulled over, I just yell out: "I've Got A GUN!!!" and then proceed to pull it out of my holster to show it to him...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
"Don't you have some REAL crime-fighting to do, you donut monkey?"
Actually, I usually wait to get out of the car until the guys from COPS get out of the squad.  
Hey, I gotta work a mandated midnight run this month.  Wonder if I should take it out on my patients?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Fedgunner was telling a story...I didn't see any complaining about anything.

About the only other time you've posted in the Minnesota group was when I posted something about police activity in my hood and you jumped all over me for it.

Are you affiliated with Law Enforement in some capacity?  

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
My dad just completed his carry permit down in AZ.  That’s what they recommend if you ever get pulled over.  Keep your permit next to your license.  Things can escalate really fast if they find that you are armed and they are not aware you have a permit to do so.    
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#11]
when I'm driven my Geo wiff the wing and bling I like to show him my gold toof and my G-lock sideways
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
when I'm driven my Geo wiff the wing and bling I like to show him my gold toof and my G-lock sideways

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
On Saturday I  talked to a Highway Patrol/St. Trooper at a gas station...  I think he was pissed off  that he had to work a 16 hr shift on the 24th and ANOTHER 16 hour shift on the 25th!!!  He said this weekend he was going for a personal citation record and anyone going 5 MPH over will get a ticket!  On my way home I drove slow & saw TWELVE cops pulling people over!!!  TWELVE (12)!!!  I was surprised...

I'll add my 2 cents.  It's poor form and class-less to write more tickets just because the trooper is pissed he had to work a holiday.  Boo-f'ing-Hoo.  Lots of people work crappy shifts, but we don't feel the need to piss all over other people because of it.  His actions come close to an abuse of his authority as a police officer.  The guy shouldn't have become a trooper if he wanted holidays off.  I'm sure they work just about every popular holiday.  I'm not cop-bashing in general, just bashing him.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What are you supposed to do if you are a passenger in a car that has been pulled over and you are carrying at the time?  Are you supposed to sit there quietly or do you proactively tell the office that you are armed, like you do when you are the driver?

I don't have my CCW yet, but the question came to mind.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you supposed to do if you are a passenger in a car that has been pulled over and you are carrying at the time?  Are you supposed to sit there quietly or do you proactively tell the office that you are armed, like you do when you are the driver?

I don't have my CCW yet, but the question came to mind.

I would use some common sense here. There are some suburbs where the officers are very anti gun and there are officers who don't think you should have the right to carry a gun no matter what the law says. You may be greeted with a gun in the face if you offer the information. That might be good for officer safety but may not be good for you. I AM NOT BASHING COPS, they have the right to point a  gun at you if you have a gun. Always keep your hands where they can see them, and if you are asked to do something that will expose your firearm you need to tell the officer immediately. There was an incident in a neighboring city a few years back where the officer had not mastered the concept of indexing. He slipped approaching the vehilce and shot and killed the driver. It was an accident, he didn't mean to do it but that didn't help the guy he killed. Any time someone is pointing a gun at you, you are in great danger. No matter who they are. I would try to avoid that if possible.

Minnesota Statutes 624.714
Subd. 1b.    Display of permit; penalty.  (a) The holder
of a permit to carry must have the permit card and a driver's
license, state identification card, or other government-issued
photo identification in immediate possession at all times when
carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and
identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer,
as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1.  A violation of
this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor.  The fine for a first
offense must not exceed $25.  Notwithstanding section 609.531, a
firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to
forfeiture.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#16]

How about this:

"Officer, as a courtesy, I'd like to inform you that I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, and that I am currently armed.  How would you like to proceed?"

This way, the officer hears "permit" before gun, and you place him in control of how to go forward.

Thoughts?

RS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top