Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 10:23:57 PM EDT
Cheers,

Anybody know if:

There are stands at Chickahominy?

If not, are there the piped holes for putting stands in (like at Jefferson and other Nat'l Forest ranges)?

If not, does anyone have links to a cheap target stand plan? =D

Also, does anyone know the best way to get to the Chickahominy Range from Richmond? I can't find specifically where it is on a map anywhere and I don't want to drive in the wrong end of the park and end up looking until dusk.

Thanks!

~AbM
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Greets,

I dunno about Chicahominy, but do you post on CU?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post.  Thought I might as well make it a helpful one.  Chickahominy does in fact have target stands.  It's a pretty decent range, though it can get crowded, especially on weekends.

The best way that I know of to get there from Richmond is to take I-295 to Route 5 (towards Charles City County).  After about 30 miles on Route 5, turn left (I don't know the name of the road, but it's about ten miles past the Charles City Courthouse, and there's a mom and pop convenience store on your left when you turn; there is a sign towards the WMA as well).  A couple of miles on that road, then turn right into the WMA itself - Eagle's Nest Road I think.  Follow this road until it ends (maybe 2 miles), then turn right onto the gravel road.  When the gravel road splits, go to the left; otherwise you'll end up at the boat ramp. There's a sign at the split that will direct you to the shooting range. The entrance to the shooting range will be on your right. Sorry these directions aren't more precise; this is just from memory...

Regards,
Argus
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the board AbsolutMauser&Argus.

Argus Directions sound good . The signs he talks about easy to see.

Maybe when hunting season ends we can all meet up at Chickahominy Range.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Pony_Driver, that's me!

Thanks guys. Somebody took the stands from the Jefferson range in Blacksburg. I don't know if it was because people were destroying them (Frat boys and their Glocks. Grrrr!) or somebody just stole them.

The range isn't closed during hunting season is it? The website doesn't say so. I am waiting on the arrival of my new AR and haven't been to a decent rifle range since I moved to Richmond. Dominion Shooting Range has been my haunt for shooting the shotguns and pistols. Pretty good guys over there. I did go to a rifle range nearby once, but you had to shoot through concrete pipes stuffed with old tires, and that's just weak.

~AbM
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
RobertM, thanks for the welcome.  I would definitely be interested in meeting up at the range.  I try to get down there once a month or so.  It's a solid hour drive from the west end, so when I go I usually make a day of it.

AbsolutMauser, the Chickahominy range is open during hunting season, though they restrict the hours a little bit, particularly during spring gobbler.  Here are the hours from their website:

September 1 - January 31
Mon.- Sat. - 9AM - 4PM
Sundays 8AM to Sunset

February 1 - Beginning of Spring Turkey Season 8AM to Sunset

During Spring Turkey Season
Mon. - Sat. 12 noon to - 4PM
Sundays - 8AM to 7PM

End Of Spring Turkey Season - August 31
Mon. to Sun. - 8AM - 7PM

Spring gobbler season runs from April 1 - May 15 this year.

The Chickahominy range is also closed every Wednesday.

I think the rifle range you went to with the concrete pipes was the Amelia WMA. I hunt on a farm out in that area and have driven through the WMA, but have never shot there.  

All you really need to bring to Chickahominy are your targets, maybe some cardboard to staple or tape them to, and some clothes pins to hold them to the stands.  There are some clothes pins there, but they tend to get shot up so I usually bring my own.  Oh, and of course eye/ear protection, etc. etc.

Argus

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent. I live in South Side where I hide under my bed with my shotgun while studying the law books. Got to watch out for those stray bullets. =D

~AbM
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd be up for a get together there.  I say we don't wait for hunting season to be over, that way everyone keeps on their toes while we're out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top