Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2005 8:30:33 PM EDT
Stopped at Champion Arms  (on East Valley in Kent) tonight and the range was actually open!!!  Gunfire and everything!!  They opened on Sunday...finally.

This place is in an awesome location and they have the potential to make tons of money from that range.  On the other hand, their marketing and organizational abilities have not been that impressive to date.  I wish them well.

Lane fees are $10.  There are ten  25yd lanes.  You can shoot any kind of bullets you want--very refreshing concept these days.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind.....duh.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats this I hear about them selling tannerite at $20 a bottle?
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lane fees are $10.  There are ten  25yd lanes.  You can shoot any kind of bullets you want--very refreshing concept these days.

Maybe Sam's will pay attention to this and not insist on charging everyone in a group $15 if one person in the group has a rifle. Nah, they aren't that smart.

Glad to hear this isn't just one of those "soon, they will open soon" posts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
And they're OK with people shooting ARs in there?

-Frank
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are you happy that they allow shooting of lead bullets? The last thing I want at a range is some guy shooting soft lead cast bullets in the lane next to me. Even with a great ventilation system that lead is still going to get into the air. Personally I don't want to breathe that. I think all indoor ranges are right to restrict shooters to FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why are you happy that they allow shooting of lead bullets? The last thing I want at a range is some guy shooting soft lead cast bullets in the lane next to me. Even with a great ventilation system that lead is still going to get into the air. Personally I don't want to breathe that. I think all indoor ranges are right to restrict shooters to FMJ.

I'm wondering if he was not referring to the casings rather than the actual bullets. I think it's good if that is what he meant. I pay to use a lane. I sweep up my area before I leave. I shouldn't have to tote out steel or aluminum casings if I decide to use them. I think this should be included in my range fees.

Just my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You do know that the majority of the airborne lead caused by a fired round comes from the primer don't you? The increased smoke seen when shooting cast lead bullets is the wax like lube on the bullets burning.  

Lead styphnate is the stuff that makes primers go bang, it's pretty important.  Diazo-dinitro-phenol has been a reasonably succesful "non-toxic" (in reality just less toxic) substitute, but it's taken years to get DDPN to the point where it has a useful shelf life.  We can still buy ammuntion left over from the 1940s and it shoots fine, I have zero expectations that ammunition made today with lead free primers will do the same in 2065.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats great and all, but can he get your 1911/HiPower back to you when he says he will?
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't go to Champion Arms there Range Officer is not train to handle his job,i was so upset that i cannot pick-up my own empty brass.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't go to Champion Arms there Range Officer is not train to handle his job,i was so upset that i cannot pick-up my own empty brass.

They aren't allowing you pick up your own brass?  That's a crock of shit!
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I was referring to bullets, not brass.  I didn't notice their brass policy.  

A lot of ranges have rules like no reloads, or jacketed bullets only, and I even think I was at one that was non-jacketed only IIRC.  I just thought it was refreshing that they didn't care.

They have a real high ceiling and the guy was bragging about his ventilation system. Haven't shot there yet, so I can't give a review.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I stopped in there last weekend. Their prices on some of the stuff in the showroom didn't seem too bad. Looks like they have a decent selection of 1911 parts. When I was checking out, the one girl working there came out and told the guy with tits about an ND that happened out in the range area. I guess someone shot into the ceiling while handling a jammed up handgun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
A buddy and I stopped in their a week or so ago to check it out.  A guy was on the line with an AR, and when we asked, they said no problem.  They top out at .223 though, so nothing larger (.308, etc.)  It seemed awfully loud in the outside room, I think they need some additional sound proofing.  The backstop is angled steel with a snail trap, which I'm not crazy about.  Most of the pistol rounds will bounce into trap intact, but the .223 rounds will be exploding on impact.  That is just more lead dust in the air.  Continental Sportsman used to be the same way, and I would have black snot when blowing my nose there.  Nasty.

Also, I saw a ton of stuff that used to be inventory over at WSI.  Also, I'm pretty sure the target system and lane dividers are from WSI also.  They are not new, that is for sure.  I also asked about some ammo (which had WSI written on the top) and they confirmed they are selling some stuff for Clifford.

Overall, I'm happy to see a new range/gun shop open up.  Sadly, we are still -1 for indoor range counts, but at least we are making headway.  Used to be Wade's, WSI, Sam's, Marksman and Continental Sportsman.  Now we have Wade's, Champion, Sam's and Marksman.  I know there are a few others around, but I'm too lazy to list them all.

I still think there is an opportunity for a top of the line indoor shooting facility in the Seattle/Eastside area.  We've got some ranges to use, but I think some other facilities could be added.  Something like this bad boy...www.mgmtargets.com/shothouse.htm
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#15]
A few questions.

By .223, does that mean no 5.56? No M855?

Also, can ".223" be shot at the Marksman indoor range?

For indoor pistol shooting, I go to Bullseye in Tacoma. Not very many people early in the afternoon, and the range dudes are very chill. I've literally taken 12 people in the last two months who've never shot, and popped their firearms virginity there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Also, can ".223" be shot at the Marksman indoor range?

Nope.  Pistol only.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A few questions.

By .223, does that mean no 5.56? No M855?

I'm sure 5.56 would be fine, but probably not the M855 or SS109 stuff.  You'd have to call them and ask specifically.  Although I'm not sure why you would want to use M855 as blammo (blasting ammo.)
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I finally stopped last week and was not too impressed.  The bays in the range looked pretty cramped and it was LOUD.  They need more sound proofing in that place.

Though they allow AR15's, they are still not decided on 7.62x39 for AK's.

With yearly memberships at $250 I will be sticking with Wade's.  It is a much nicer facility.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot there today for first time. Some observations:

- nice people

- good ventilation and lighting

-Concur that it is too loud standing at the counter outside the range. Definitely need more soundproofing.

- definitely looked like WSI target trolleys, except only 2 of 12 didn't work today--WSI averaged more like 4 of 12.

-ammo restrictions (either I was mislead or they changed the policy since my first post).  
 --written:  NO steel jacket bullets, NO steel core bullets, NO semi jacketed bullets. Bullets must be FMJ or lead .  No WOLF ammo.
--verbal - no BLAZER Ammo. They don't want non-brass cases mixed in when they recycle the brass.

-shooting restrictions:  no rapid fire, double taps or drawing from holster unless you are a member

- looked like very respectable prices on ammo, with several brands being sold by the case

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My formative winter years were spent shooting .22's in the old stale brick basement of my hometowns YMCA. .10 a box and I had enough cash to shoot for hours.

Im sure there was so much lead in there you could roll up a fish sinker off the walls.

Im in my 40's now, and afaik, it didnt kill me yet.

I normally dont get all excited with the new fangled danger warnings everone else gets all twisted up over, I let my conscious be my guide.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My formative winter years were spent shooting .22's in the old stale brick basement of my hometowns YMCA. .10 a box and I had enough cash to shoot for hours.

Im sure there was so much lead in there you could roll up a fish sinker off the walls.

Im in my 40's now, and afaik, it didnt kill me yet.

+1 Touching 50 real soon. If all the warnings that have been issued on every thing from Fords to Karaoke causing cancer or worse I should have been dead long ago. Not to mention climbing mountains, racing cars and bike, playing with guns and knives and just general kid stupidity. Worry enough and you'll be dead. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I normally dont get all excited with the new fangled danger warnings everone else gets all twisted up over, I let my conscious be my guide.

ETA: Note to self, don't add stuff INSIDE the quote. And don't wait 24 hrs. to fix it. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I shot there on friday and they dont allow .223s anymore.  Said that it was tearing up the backstop.
-BJohnson
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I shot there on friday and they dont allow .223s anymore.  Said that it was tearing up the backstop.
-BJohnson

oh man, so much for taking my new middy there this thurs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Just stopped by there....

The rifles tore up the range (Thanks Scollins ), so now on pistol calibers only, until they buy a different steel, which may be awhile, "Its expensive".

"No Wolf or Aluminum Ammo"

As JAFO said, they have a shitpile of 1911 stuff. Everything you can want or need, I will be going back to hit them up for some of that stuff, prices not too bad.

HK94- ?$4995 iirc, Bushys $900, Robinson $1300. Their Kimbers were cheaper than Bens by a bit (7-900 vs 900+).

They had all kinds of mags for everything, most priced ok. They had a pile of USGI AR15 mags, new- no floorplate names- $39.95.

XD in 9 & 40, sign for the 45, but its not there yet.

They had some lead  45 ACP by the case- 80/500.

10 for the lane, 7 for each additional shooter.

Damn was it loud there.

BTW- I Stopped by Bens and fondled the new Springfield Garand also today.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The rifles tore up the range (Thanks Scollins ),

Qué?  I've never shot there, so don't go blaming me for their hacked up, substandard backstop!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rifles tore up the range (Thanks Scollins ),

Qué?  I've never shot there, so don't go blaming me for their hacked up, substandard backstop!!

Sorry man......

Quoted:
A buddy and I stopped in their a week or so ago to check it out.  A guy was on the line with an AR, and when we asked, they said no problem.

I thought you shot up the place.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sorry man......

Quoted:
A buddy and I stopped in their a week or so ago to check it out.  A guy was on the line with an AR, and when we asked, they said no problem.

I thought you shot up the place.

Ah yes, I can see how what I wrote could be interpreteted to mean I had shot my AR there.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I see someone was ego surfing the other day on my blog.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:40:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm not naming names, but this speaks for itself
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top