Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 11:40:39 AM EDT
...in Alabama.  Gov Riley signed it after it passed both houses by a LARGE majority.  Woo hoo!

Woody
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Old Bob finally did one thing right.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Kind of like how Don Siegelman did one thing right by doing away with the 3 day waiting period.  Maybe our next governor will do one thing right and get rid of the SBR ban.

-------------------------------------------------

www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=7440

Governor Riley Signs Alabama
“Castle Doctrine” into Law

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fairfax, VA – Today, Governor Bob Riley of Alabama signed the National Rifle Association (NRA)-backed “Castle Doctrine” bill (SB 283) into law.  Senator Larry Means and Representative Albert Hall sponsored the self-defense bill.

With overwhelming support, SB 283 passed the Alabama House with a vote of 82 to 9 and the Alabama State Senate with a vote of 30 to 2.

NRA’s chief lobbyist, Chris W. Cox, stated, “We thank Governor Riley for signing this vital legislation into law for the people of Alabama.  Law-abiding citizens now have the choice to defend themselves and their families in the face of attack without fear of criminal prosecution and civil litigation.”

The “Castle Doctrine” bill removes the “duty to retreat” if an individual is attacked in his or her home, vehicle, place of business or any other place he or she has a legal right to be.  This legislation also states that victims may use necessary force to defend themselves against the attacker.

Continued Cox, “I would like to thank the bill’s sponsors, Senator Means and Representative Hall, and the Alabama State Senators and State Representatives who supported this bill.  As always, we also thank all the NRA members and lawful gun owners who contacted their representatives and urged them to support this vital self-defense measure.”
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like how Don Siegelman did one thing right by doing away with the 3 day waiting period.  Maybe our next governor will do one thing right and get rid of the SBR ban.

Forget that "next governor" business - we may get it this time around.

I'm not saying it will happen, but let me just say that a phone conversation I had earlier this evening gave me some renewed hope of the possibility the current bill might see the light of day. (I really didn't think it was possible this session, but I will be very glad to be wrong this once! )
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I read thru the new law and it looks like a very good one.   I am glad to see it made into law.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
NICE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top