Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 2:00:34 PM EDT
I'm originally from Mississippi and they have a  law which states:

97-37-1.

(2) A loaded handgun can be carried anywhere in your car if you are over 18 Years of age.

Arkansas law states:

5-73-120.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his person, in a vehicle occupied by him, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ it as a weapon against a person.

Does this mean before I can have a handgun in my vehicle I must get a CCW?

What about long guns?

Also, what is involved in acquiring a CCW; it seems like I read somewhere that one must pass some sort of firearms' safety class?  Is that true?  Must you specify which guns you intend to carry on the permit application?

eta: this appears to be the place to go: http://www.asp.state.ar.us/chl/chl.html for info, but I don't think it answers all my questions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Check www.packing.org. You will find answers to most of your questions there. Getting a permit in AR is not that difficult. I too am from MS where you could have a gun in your vehicle, wherever, and however.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
There is also a "journey" clause that says you may carry a weapon in your car but does NOT define the state (loaded or unloaded) it may be carried and has very lose definitions on the journey part.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is also a "journey" clause that says you may carry a weapon in your car but does NOT define the state (loaded or unloaded) it may be carried and has very lose definitions on the journey part.  

What I was told in my CCW class was that the journey definition depended on the prosecuting atourney in the county, some countys, a journey was almost across the street, and other countys, you weren't on a journey if you had drove across the state!  They also said that the "journey" law basicly dosen't exist in the Little Rock area. FWIW
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I was told in my CCW class was that the journey definition depended on the prosecuting atourney in the county, some countys, a journey was almost across the street, and other countys, you weren't on a journey if you had drove across the state!  They also said that the "journey" law basicly dosen't exist in the Little Rock area. FWIW

Thats the problems with CCW instructers, Most of them are more full of shit than a septic tank.  I just screwed up and let my CCW expire and got stopped last night at a DWI checkpoint,  I'd been running around half the state and the officer asked me if I was armed.  
Me: "yes officer there's an Austrian Jackhammer my console."
Him:"What model?"
Me: "Same as yours but not exactly stock"
Him:"This is where you tell me your on a trip since your CCW is expired"
Me: "I thought I already told you that sir"
Him: "That's right, you did didn't you, have a good night Dusty"

Granted he knew me but a LR still cited the law.  And it's a STATE law.  The standard is usually quoted at 50 miles, but I've only met one cop in my life that would take issue with an otherwise lawabiding citizen having a gun in their car in that part of town.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
What part of town was it?

I have yet to run across a DUI checkpoint in LR
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the problems with CCW instructers, Most of them are more full of shit than a septic tank.  I just screwed up and let my CCW expire and got stopped last night at a DWI checkpoint,  I'd been running around half the state and the officer asked me if I was armed.  
Me: "yes officer there's an Austrian Jackhammer my console."
Him:"What model?"
Me: "Same as yours but not exactly stock"
Him:"This is where you tell me your on a trip since your CCW is expired"
Me: "I thought I already told you that sir"
Him: "That's right, you did didn't you, have a good night Dusty"

Granted he knew me but a LR still cited the law.  And it's a STATE law.  The standard is usually quoted at 50 miles, but I've only met one cop in my life that would take issue with an otherwise lawabiding citizen having a gun in their car in that part of town.

The instructor is also a high ranking LEO, the way I took it was what would happen after a shooting incident, not a traffic stop.  This was also 8 years ago...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What part of town was it?

I have yet to run across a DUI checkpoint in LR

Southwest LR hwy 5 Just inside the county line.  I run into em all the time there but usually it's state.  This time it was LRPD.  I've had a few after me.  There are usually a lot of em hanging near the EC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top