Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 1:58:50 PM EDT
the MA. laws to me ? I want to bring a glock 26 i bought in CA (when i lived there) back here to MA.Is this illegal to have in MA.? I will have a class A LTC pretty soon, just waiting for approval from the sheriff .

I also am looking to buy a ar15/m4 clone.I know the so-called republican governor here just extended the awb for 4 more years, so i cant buy one of the post ban m4 clones (or can i ?) Is there some sort of loopholes where i can have the pre-ban m4 clones ? I have been reading about the lowers manufactured before "94,so if i was to buy a pre-ban lower,i can legally have a m4 clone with supressor and collapsible stock ?

So basically ,can i own a pre or post ban m4 legally here in MA.? If i can,how exactely do i go about doing it.

Thanks in advance,and I apologize for my rookie knowledge regarding all the laws.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
yikes, supressors are a no no here.
you can get a pre 94 reciever for your M-4 Clone, but no supressor.  
I belive the AWB here is permanant, not 4 years, and I think some one else may have the link to the AG pistol list, but I find LenS has the answers to just about evertyhing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
CM, thanks for the plug. Too bad I can't figure a way to make money for researching and providing info!

To OP:
- Suppressors are illegal here, period.
- F/A requires a special permit that is very difficult to get in most communities and REQUIRES that you have C&R FFL FIRST (unless you are a certified MCJTC instructor, aka instructor at the police academies). NO other way to get a MG License in MA.
- AG has a "problem" with Glock guns, so NO Glocks in MA unless they were "in state" on 10/21/98 OR brought in WHEN SOMEONE MOVES HERE (at the same time you move here)! If you waited 6/12/18/etc. months after you moved here to bring the gun in, you can NOT bring it here even if you owned it elsewhere. NO FFL can transfer it to you either.
- Most Glocks are on the EOPS List, but the AG must also bless them and he apparently demanded that Glock recall any that were sold here, so they are off the market for an undetermined amount of time (which may well be infinity).
- The AWB was passed in MA in 1998, mirrors the Fed and will NEVER EXPIRE. The new law did nothing plus or minus regarding this fact. Thus no-post 9/13/94 so-called AWBs and you can't legally build them unless you start with a pre-ban lower.
- Sheriffs in MA don't issue anything except jobs to all their friends/supporters. ALL MA Resident LTC/MG/FID cards/permits are issued (or not) by the local police chief in the town you live in (or where you OWN a business, only business owners, NOT employees).

HTH
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
CM, you would be correct, that LenS cat is a wealth of knowledge.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CM, you would be correct, that LenS cat is a wealth of knowledge.  

Thanks Sarge,

Now don't give me a fat head, OK?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks lenS.so im basically screwed with my glock 26,and i will never have a m4 clone,unless i move from this state...GREAT.

so can i legally sell the glock to a dealer ?

APPRECIATE THE INFO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
thanks lenS.so im basically screwed with my glock 26,and i will never have a m4 clone,unless i move from this state...GREAT.

so can i legally sell the glock to a dealer ?

APPRECIATE THE INFO.

Hmm, I may not have covered all contingencies here.

- I just looked and the 26 IS on the EOPS List, thus it meets state law (at least the new MA compliant ones do). I don't know how this works with older, non-MA compliant copies. [MA Law has an exception for ONLY  those that were IN-STATE on 10/21/98 . . . very different from AG exception noted below.]
- The AG DISAPPROVES of all the Glocks here, BUT the AG Regs has an exception for any guns made before 10/21/98 (regardless of where the gun was located).

So, if your 26 was made prior to 10/21/98, it might be legal for you to bring it in, but I am not certain. The only dealer whose answer on this I would trust is Carl at Four Seasons Guns (Woburn, MA).

Another interesting issue is the following:
- Since nobody has to declare their guns on the day they move into MA (at least not yet), there is no way to prove on what day one might have brought it in here. This assumes that the gun's paper trail shows that you actually owned it prior to moving here. [NOTE: NOBODY who moves into MA with guns has to do any paperwork or list the guns they brought in with them. That IS THE LAW. Many LEOs will insist differently, but they are wrong. You do have to get a MA LTC, and can't carry them or take them from your home until you are licensed, but you do get legal relief for a set number of days after you move in.]
- MA has a lot of dumb, totally unenforceable laws. e.g. THE DAY that you move into MA or start working here, you MUST have a MA DL, car reg, and MA insurance. It is rarely the first thing on people's minds when they move here, and I'd venture a guess that less than 1% of new residents comply with this law. I also wonder how (legally) "snowbirds" do this . . . those that spend 6 months in FL and 6 in MA . . . do they really turn one license in and get a new one every 6 months? I'd venture that NOBODY does this.

Keep in mind that I am NOT a lawyer and this is not Legal advice, just a layman's interpretation of the mess of MA laws.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks again lenS. i will be going to four seasons (after reading all the recommendations here)after i get my LTC to get a bushmaster m4 clone sans fire supressor and whatever other parts MA deems unsafe. i dont get these laws at all,at the marlboro gunshow you could buy pocket pistols have the size of my glock... yet mine is maybe illegal. i cant remember when i bought it,i know i did get it right after they were released for public consumption.

im just now starting to get back into weapons (target practice,collecting etc..) but these assinine laws are making me consider new hampshire as a new residence.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Understanding how a woman thinks and the things she needs would be easier to explain that MA gun laws, and that "ain't" easily done!

How true!

In fact the infamous Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998 was written in the back room by a lesbian (State Sen) who wouldn't know an AR15 from her dildo! Seriously, only 5 people allegedly were involved in a total re-write of a bill that became that law, legislators didn't have time to read it (some 80 paragraphs, IIRC), and leadership literally threatened legislators (with losing their chairmanships) if they didn't blindly vote for it. [This info was confirmed to me by my State Rep, who is anti-gun, but actually read enough of it to convince himself to vote against it.]

As for the MV laws, I learned about them in the police academy (in the mid-1980s). They are universally ignored! When I moved back to MA from CT (1973), I ran out my CT registration/insurance before getting MA registration/insurance as the cost differential was ~3x that of CT for insurance. Our police chief was hired from NH and had a registered motor home parked in his driveway with NH plates on it some 2+ years after he moved here!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top