Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 2:09:41 PM EDT
Is it just me, or are there more and more cars with California license plates popping up? I've been seeing alot of them in the DFW area recently. I even saw someone in my apartment complex flying a small California State Flag off of their balcony.

I know I haven't been in Texas very long, but I ain't to big on the idea of a bunch of Californians moving in here and turning things upside down. Am I alone on this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
So, where are you from?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've noticed a few Cali plates lately.  Can't say it's any more than usual though.

Maybe they are for the same reasons we like it so much?

Shooting buddy of mine moved here a few years ago  from CA because she wanted a place that was gun friendly.  She loaded up her 4-Runner and drove to Houston.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, where are you from?

Michigan

Not as bad, but almost.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe they are for the same reasons we like it so much?

I hope that's the case, and for alot of people it certainly could be.

But I know that when I lived in Colorado they had a big influx of Californians and they were none too happy about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Dallas/Fort Worth area eh?  It may not necessarily be people moving there, but rather people temporarily stationed in the area for military.  Last time I was in that specific area was when I stationed at Sheppard AFB for training, and thats the closest major cities... I was there all the time cause Wichita Falls sucks ass!  Anywho, just a thought...

Technowizard
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck, when I lived in CO, they were bitchin about both Texan's and Californians.  Wayne Allards whole election campaign was that his opponent liked Californians and Texans.  They sure do like the money all these people brought, esp after the oil business dried up there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a great portion of displaced Californians here in Austin.  That, and the University of Texas make it the most liberal city in Texas.   (still more conservative than just about anywhere in SoCal).

I noticed several Kali plates when I was around today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We have a great portion of displaced Californians here in Austin.  That, and the University of Texas make it the most liberal city in Texas.   (still more conservative than just about anywhere in SoCal).

I noticed several Kali plates when I was around today.

I hate those fuckers.  We should screen them at the border to see if they're armed right.  If not, they can't move in.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't mind Californians or even yankees moving here if they are willing adapt to living here. I hate nothing more than a Californian or yankee telling me I talk funny in my republic state or telling me how evil guns are.

I'm a 6th generation Texan by God and I ain't going to change my ways for no carpetbagger!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
6th gen Cali here gone 100% TEXAN redneck !!!!!!!
I hate to even go back home to visit. Gone back to visit twice now in 10 years.  They gave me the guilt trip thing with "Grandma isnt doing so well and she hasnt seen your kids."  So we went.  Had fun but man did I miss my AR.  AR15.com is the only thing that got me through it.  Good to be a Texan.  Wish I was born and raised here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#12]
    Been in Texas since 1994 after making my great escape for VA with all my 70's and 80's toys purchased before the Bayonet Lug band.  The only thing that I have from CA is my SSN.  Had to work to pay for my 56 Chevy that I wish I still had.  59-61 used to take a car load of guys from NRTC & MCRD to downtown SD (7 Seas) for .20 a head bus fare. A buck one way, 6 bucks a night added to my Golden Arrow Dairy Sat job. At Point Loma High I was considered rich.

61-83-PH,NAGV,Key West,Charleston SC, NORVA.  83-93 RCA/GE NORVA . 93-94 Belen,NM . 94 -present 72 Blazer & 22' tongue pull RV Hit Amarillo and stayed in DFW area.  Now I can play with ALL of my toys.  It's not how many toys you have. The question is How many is enough?................

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes I wonder if anybody who lives here was actually born here.  Seriously though, I'm from Alabama and I brought all my toys with me.  God bless Texas!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Texas barn-raised.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
A LOT of the Californians are Cashing Out of the Market there and buying a home (or two or three) here in Austin where prices and cost of living are much better (not to mention the quality of life is pretty sweet!)

I'm conflicted, as I make money when they buy homes, but just don't like the idea of diluting the Texas Redneck with "California Whine"

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I moved back here (born in SAT) after living all over Kali for 18 years; Yea, I took their money (home equity) and moved back  You'll find those that move here tend to know what they want and the culture here; otherwise they'd have moved to Oregon or Washington state as has been the case for years, Lastly, don't  judge em' till ya know more about them; at the Tiger Valley shoot before christmas the guy with the most class III hardware was from NoCal; forgot his handle but he let everyone shoot his toys!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Last time I was in that specific area was when I stationed at Sheppard AFB for training, and thats the closest major cities... I was there all the time cause Wichita Falls sucks ass!  Anywho, just a thought...

We're glad you left,too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I moved to Texas, got a CCW and a machine gun.  

Were you the guy shooting FA at Texas Tactical's 3-gun competition a couple weeks ago?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't mind Californians or even yankees moving here if they are willing adapt to living here. I hate nothing more than a Californian or yankee telling me I talk funny in my republic state or telling me how evil guns are.

Yankee and former Californian here!   I grew up in Massachusetts and moved to San Francisco and  lived there 7 years.  Since moving to Texas, I've got my CHL, bought a bunch of ARs, body armour and a host of other naughties (ooh, and my new .50 baby!) I can't go back to the PRK now!  Even my M1A box says "Illegal in CA"

So not all of us former Yanks or PRKers are all that bad.  I prostrate myself before the freedoms of Texas, but am still trying to talk funny like you native folk.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought it was just me seeing all these plates.  Some have usually been the more rude drivers.

I'm not against immigration, but if you don't like my state's laws on guns and don't respect our traditions and instead trying to change the state to be more like the one you left, then I'll be happy to escourt your ass out of the state, never to return.  We have enough native born antigun retards here, so we don't need you too.

It's not just Californians, but all folks of all states and countries.

One thing I have noticed, from my sister in law that is a realtor in Austin, is that she is getting more and more Californians who are buying and flipping property in her AO, because Texas is still a state that most people can actually own their own home ($450K for a 2 bedroom house in SOCAL...how does anyone afford that?).  I don't know about you, but I see this happening as the establishment of a "fifth column."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top