Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 3:06:18 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I am really new to this so sorry for sounding like an idiot. I am looking to build an AR15 but I am lucky enough to live in Cal. geez.

Not sure about the laws here when ordering an upper/lower. From what I can tell you can order any upper kit without an FFL. Is this true?

As far as a lower goes I guess to stay legal you need to have a fixed mag (FAB-10)? Would say Turners carry such a thing?

Any input about likes/dislikes of different combinations (upper/lower) would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board - don't mind me if I throw in a couple of political comments do you?

If you're active duty military stationed here on orders you are in luck as they can bring real rifles into the state. Otherwise there's no legal way you can get a real detachable AR in California.

You can order everything for an AR except for the lower from anyone you want to. To buy even a California legal lower you have to go though an FFL.

The only AR lowers that are legal for purchase are the FAB and the pump AR from DPMS. Other manufactures are talking about making California complaint lowers but I'm not aware of any yet. Here you can not build your own rifle from raw aluminum either like in the other United States.

As your rifle is going have a fixed 10 round maximum magazine you're not looking for a serious social rifle - one that you're going to bet your life on. You best fun is going to come from plinking or target practice. Both will hone your marksmenship skills and get you use to handling the AR for the day the United States over throws the Caliban.

For both a longer 20" or longer barrel will help with reducing bullet drop and windage. Many enjoy the A1 length stock rather than the 3/4" longer A2 stock. For optics you can't go wrong starting with a fairly cheap scope and working your way up into a better one. Good starter scopes can be found for $80-$120.

If you get a flat-top A3 style upper you'll find mounting a scope easier. The A2 carry handle style mounts the scope pretty high up and makes it harder to shoot comfortably.

Poke around the board and you'll find answers to any questions you might have legal or tactical. The AR is able to do nearly anything from being a pistol to an 800 yard target rifle - focus on what you want to do with your rifle and its function will be easier to refine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have built several of the stripped FAB10 politically correct lowers.  I enjoyed building them and my kids and I like shooting them.  They still raise eyebrows when we pull them out at the local range in Agoura Hills.   As others have noted, these are "fun" plinker type rifles, and not tatical in any sense.  If it ever came to having to reach out and touch someone, then I would more than make do with the M1A and the 1911 style 45.

One other nice thing about the FAB10 is you can build them any way you want.  There is no pre or post ban with these.  My first one I built up in an A1 style, topped with a mint, in the bag, surplus Colt SP1/M16 upper that I bought via the Equipment Exchange from Georgia Precision.  Lightweight and fun to shoot.  The second FAB10 was built with a collapsable stock and a flat-top Phantom II carbine upper from Fulton.  They were both fun projects, and a nice departure from working on Garands and the M1A.

My local FFL (in Santa Paula) sells the FAB10 if you are interested.  Send me an email, and I will give you his name and number.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your reply,

Yes I would be interested in your local FFL for I am in Ventura so it's kind of local.

Can you send me that info.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The Rifle Shop in Palmdale has 2 FAB10s in the display case if you ever go towards the high desert.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I do go past there often. I will check it out. Was thinking maybe I would just go to the gun show in Vegas. I'm sure I can find a lower there.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yikes!

Don't think that you can buy a real AR in Nevada and bring it here!

A Nevada FFL is going to see your California license and send you packing without even starting the waiting period.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I was talking about getting a FAB10 from there.

Is this something that you can get deals on at our local shows like the LA show. Has anyone found this to be sold there.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
You can no longer buy a rifle (other than a C&R with C&R FFL) and bring it into the state. All firearms transfers must be held for the 10 day waiting period. You could purchase the rifle and have it sent to an FFL in CaliBan. Check the DOJ web site.

Edited to add, person to person transfers are still legal in Nevada, but the feds require the transfer to be legal in BOTH residents States, hence CaliBan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top