Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/29/2003 7:07:42 PM EDT
Kind of looking for info as to if this a worthwhile endeavor? Cruized a couple of FAL sites, Type 1, Type 2, SA58, etc...? Guess I'm looking for something to fill that loss of not having my AR?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 7:29:41 PM EDT by Duffy]
You'll be more than satisfied with a FAL. Ergonomics of a modern rifle with surprisingly low price tags, unless you get a DSA rifle (the best quality and worksmanship but expensive). Many people buy the kit and receiver and build it themselves. Go to www.falfiles.com and the great folks there will help you with everything you need to know. IMHO a FAL is a must have, I've always considered FAL one of the most beautiful rifles made. As in AR15, you can have lots of varieties: heavy barrel, metric, inch, para (with stock fixed unfortunately), etc. Parts are inexpensive and plenty, if I didn't have ARs I'd devote all of my energy to collecting FALs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 5:49:01 AM EDT by hawk1]
Duffy the little bit I've read is it true that if I have it sent to FFL in state without pistol grip DOJ says OK? At a future date I could do the mod www.webshooters.org/diy_california_fal.htm FAL Magazine Release Lever modification then add pistol grip? Then be able to swap either fixed mag or pistol grip?

Edited to remove and fix link
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:53:40 PM EDT
If you get a stripper clip fed FAL with a fixed mag you can keep the pistol grip.

I had an Imbel rec. transferred a couple of years ago. It's a matter of finding the right FFL to do it. Even though an FFL could legally transfer an un-named AR lower, none of them do it.

Get one, they are cool.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:50:09 PM EDT
Hi there!I'm currently living in Ca right now and I visited Entreprise Arms in Azusa Ca.They have STG58's there in stock.They come with no pistol grip and no mag?What a bummer huh?Well I have to say there rifles are awesome looking and come in a unique GREY Parkerize.When you go there they will be glad to show you the differences in all the Fal configurations and are very freindly!They also sell Fab 10 rifles there too.I got me a STG58 Government model which has the 21' barrel and has the type 1 reciever for $1199.The rifle is very reliable and has worked flawelessly at the range!As reliable as an AK!There Fal's start at $700 up to $1700.You need one!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:01:07 PM EDT
I talked to Howard today and he mentioned about going down to look so I'll do that on Wednesday. I've read a lot of negative stuff about them but I think it was mostly in the past.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:32:30 PM EDT
Your right but they have definitely changed there quality control.The rifles that had problems were due to a machining problem on the reciever but they have long since fixed it.The reason why I chose them instead of DSA is because there right here in "OUR" hometown.I now get close factory support incase a problem should arize and they have a no hassle factory warranty that comes with your rifle.So if you have a problem you can take it there and they will fix it on the spot!Let us know if you get one!Good luck...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:27:06 AM EDT
I've gone all three ways.

I entered California after the ban so my FAL went pistol grip-less - and also trigger guard-less. It sucked.

I then converted the FAL to stripper clip fed with a fixed ten round magazine. Cool - worked great once I managed to sort my M1903A1 strippers from my FAL ones.

I now have a military assault weapon's permit which means I've returned the DSA rifle back to normal. I've kept the stripper clip dust cover and the modified magazine release so I can shoot the weapon on public BLM lands.

The type 1, 2, and 3 refer to very minor mainly cosmetic changes in the receiver. I bought the type 2. See DSA Arms web site to see the differences.

The big division that is important is inch or metric pattern. The metric is more common - cheaper magazines and parts. Magazines are going to be an issue as you needed to have 20 round $6 magazines on this side of the state line prior to the ban.

Last time I checked there's no check points set-up but give them time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:37:48 PM EDT
If you want to purchase a FAL right now in California, can you buy one without a pistol grip, and no fixed magazine? Or do you have to have the fixed magazine no matter what?

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:46:33 PM EDT
Yes you can buy STG-58's with no grip and mag or purchase one with a fixed 10 rounder.I got the one with no grip and mag and bought a 5 rnd hunting mag for it.Very cool rifle!The M96 Recon is next!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:32:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By realwar:
Yes you can buy STG-58's with no grip and mag or purchase one with a fixed 10 rounder.I got the one with no grip and mag and bought a 5 rnd hunting mag for it.Very cool rifle!The M96 Recon is next!!!

Where can you buy them with out the grip?

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:52:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ScrewCAlaws:

Where can you buy them with out the grip?


I know that Arizona Response Systems used to build rifles for the CA market (he removed the grip before shipping). Things may have changed. I haven't checked in a long time.


Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:05:19 AM EDT
You can get Cal-Fals with no grip attached from ENTREPRISEARMS.COM They are located in Azusa Ca.They have many different rifles to choose from.They start at $700 and up.Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:48:19 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure Entreprises' California model is set up to be fed by hand. I called the other day to varify that. Basically the mag is permanently attached. Push feed one by one into top of ejection port area till full. Won't accept a stripper clip either.
SCREW, check out my second response on this thread for the info to pin the mag. That way you can go either way. I'm going to get all the parts and have ASR do the barrel headspace and assembly after they repark. I have a FFL here in CA that is doing the receiver transfer for me for $30 including CA transfer fee. Check out www.tdwsales.com under their SHOTGUN NEWS ad will show the California Legal Imbel Geared receiver.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 8:02:10 PM EDT by Paul]

Thank you for all the info!! I saw Enterprise and DSA Inc. sell California legal FAL rifles, but the they only sell them with an attached (or pretty much, a fixed) ten round mag, like an SKS. I checked out that web site you gave me and I saw an ad for this....


At the bottom, they have a FAL reciever. I could pretty much just build that up into a FAL with a detachable magazine, but I just can not put a pistol grip on it, correct?

[made links hot - Paul]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:13:19 PM EDT
As I understand the laws here ...

The FAL isn't prohibitted by name or "series" like the AK or AR is so you can have one.

However if it has a pistol grip that protrudes below whatever AND has a detachable magazine or a magazine that holds more than ten rounds ... it's an assault weapon so you have to lose either the pistol grip or detachable magazine.

Removing the pistol grip is a pain as once you remove the grip you're left with a three inch screw hanging down - and nothing to keep the trigger guard in place - a major safety issue.

Going with a fixed magazine is easy enough. You buy a spare magazine release, make a trip to Home Depot for a $10 bit, tap, and 3/4" long screw and you're good to go. Removing the magazine requires the use of an allen wrench and about two minutes.

Going with a stripper clip upper from DSA ($50 or something like that) and you can reload the fixed ten round magazine faster than you can swap magazines - while prone at least.

If my stripper clip upper had a mount for a scope on it and a way to load with the scope in place I'd leave the stripper clip upper on all the time even now that I have the FAL on my assualt weapons permit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:59:01 AM EDT
Going with the modified magazine catch and a 10 or 5 round magazine will comply with making the rifle NOT an Assault Weapon under the California definition.

The modified magazine catch and the 10 round magazine, should render the rifle as a "Semi-auto rifle with a fixed 10 round magazine or less".

Loading the magazine through the ejection port is easily doable, but a little more time consuming than the striper clip dust cover.

You can make the stripper clip dust cover work on a FAL receiver not cut for a stripper clip cover. The stripper clip dust cover was designed to fit Inch receivers with the proper receiver cuts.

You can either modify the dust cover or the FAL (metric & some inch w/o the cuts) receiver to work. But, common sense usually dictates on modifying the cheapest component.

You can cut off the rear tabs off the stripper clip cover, so that it'll slide up flush with the rear of the FAL receiver. But, you may run into a problem of the cover sliding forward. It may slide forward if the dust cover slot (right side only) is cut through the ejection port. If it is, you can fill the dust cover slot with JB weld or something that will prevent the stripper clip cover from sliding forward.

I went the more expensive route and had Entreprise Arms CNC my FAL receivers to accept the stripper clip cover. You can probably be able to do the same with a dremel and a grinding wheel. But opted for the more professional method.

Here are some pictures of the stripper clip cover on a fixed 10 round mag FAL.


Should the CA DOJ ever add the FAL series to the California assault ban. You will be able to register them as an AW at that time and revert the 10 fixed mag FAL into a regular detachable mag FAL with just the replacement of the stock "unmodified" magazine catch.

Also, nothing can stop you from going shooting outside California and replacing the modified catch with a stock catch, so that you can enjoy the FAL as it's intended.

www.entreprise.com are good guys in my book. I have several of their receivers and they are all 100% reliable. They were able to help me get my Imbel 100% working, before I knew how to work on the FAL. Albert & Lawrence (Entreprise employees) have been very cool and helpful to the WebShooters group. We've had a large group buy of their recievers and the have sponsored several of our club shoots. Check them out, if your in the neighborhood. The have a Pro Shop open for visitors. You can check out all the different models and they'll be able to answer any of your questions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:55:05 PM EDT
I took the old dremel tool to the reciever with little difficulty. The upper indexes just fine. I'll cold blue the work one of these days as I'm more into function rather than looks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:13:19 PM EDT
IM sent to you Screw,
Top Top