Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
Have to do emissions.

My car has a fault code

It's for the malfunctioning heating element of the O2 sensor .

The O2 sensor works fine.   The heating element does not.   It has no actual impact on emissions, but tosses a fault either way.  The car runs great otherwise, and will pass the tailpipe portion of the test.

I' being a cheap bastard and not replacing the O2 because it works fine except for the little heating cycle that the heating part does for 8 seconds on start up.

Will I pass the emissions test when they scan my codes?  This is part of the O2 sensor but not really an emission control.  Or will I be buying a new sensor?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure if you have a check engine light period you fail
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Clear the codes and drive it for 60 or so miles if the light dose not come back on,  bring it right to the testing center.  Any auto parts store will be able to clear them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Passing the test all depends on how far the sensor stick goes into the tailpipe.

Sometimes they just put the tip in, and others they go all the way to the connector.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clear the codes and drive it for 60 or so miles if the light dose not come back on,  bring it right to the testing center.  Any auto parts store will be able to clear them.
View Quote

It comes right back on at start up.  The heater tries to go on.   Shorts out, and tosses the fault.  

I've put 15k on the car at least since it started occurring.   Mileage is the same.  Runs great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Passing the test all depends on how far the sensor stick goes into the tailpipe.

Sometimes they just put the tip in, and others they go all the way to the connector.
View Quote

This is CT

They are going to bottom-out in me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Obd 2 if you have codes it will list them on the report. Check engine light on you will fail

Obd 1 I passed with a check engine light sniff test
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any unethical emission stations left?

The one ethical thing Rowland did was to clean up the emissions scam of all fucking things.

I can trade the guys dinner pics or maybe some reduced capacity magazines
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Obd 2 if you have codes it will list them on the report. Check engine light on you will fail

Obd 1 I passed with a check engine light sniff test
View Quote

OBD 2

What about stuff like my TPS sensor for one wheel?

It's not really my CEL, it's the screen at the beginning.   Maybe it's the same thing?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You may want to have their test wand checked under a blacklight. Just to make sure its clean. Those things are in and out of tailpipes 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

Lord only know what is on there.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You may want to have their test wand checked under a blacklight. Just to make sure its clean. Those things are in and out of tailpipes 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

Lord only know what is on there.

View Quote

Some of us are into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Rockauto.com buy a new o2 sensor and I can replace it for you. You will fail if your check engine is on. If I remember correctly its a grey car right?

Eta: is it the primary or secondary causing issues?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rockauto.com buy a new o2 sensor and I can replace it for you. You will fail if your check engine is on. If I remember correctly its a grey car right?

Eta: is it the primary or secondary causing issues?
View Quote

Yes that one

Thanks I will likely take you up on that

I don't remember exactly.  I checked when the code first tossed, but then just forgot about it once is figured out that there was no impact to the actual function of the O2 operation.   Can a vatozone scan it and tell me which?

Will the TPS sensor cause me to fail too?  I think it's just corroded
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
As long as your tps isn't throwing a code you should be fine, it could cause bigger problems down the road though. Erratic idle, serious hesitation, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As long as your tps isn't throwing a code you should be fine, it could cause bigger problems down the road though. Erratic idle, serious hesitation, etc, etc.
View Quote

Uh tire pressure system, not the throttle positions sorry.

It reads 20lbs high when it's cold or wet on the RF wheel.   Also throws off my vehicle skid fault, but that's pretty useless too.   I just would turn that noise off in the past anytime the weather was bad anyways.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had a code on for around 20k miles the past year and a half and now I'm due for testing as well. Mine is throwing camshaft position sensor, and both are bad. Clear codes with a Gensys and they come right back.

Between the check engine light, the ABS warning light, being stuck in FWD (another light), and my low fuel light it's almost like a Christmas tree on my dashboard.
View Quote

Yeah before I had a house and kids and had money, I would just get a new car.  

Now I have to keep this a few more years.  

Oh well.  Could be wayyyy worse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Any autozone can run it. I think your fine with the TPMS. You get a 30 day grace period to fix anything if you do fail. I know it's a PITA to go back.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've had a code on for around 20k miles the past year and a half and now I'm due for testing as well. Mine is throwing camshaft position sensor, and both are bad. Clear codes with a Gensys and they come right back.

Between the check engine light, the ABS warning light, being stuck in FWD (another light), and my low fuel light it's almost like a Christmas tree on my dashboard.
View Quote

Haha sounds like your pretty much F'd
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It reads 20lbs high when it's cold or wet on the RF wheel.   Also throws off my vehicle skid fault, but that's pretty useless too.   I just would turn that noise off in the past anytime the weather was bad anyways.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure on the TPMS, I have not owned a car with one but I think you will be fine

Eta: I should say my fiancee's car has one but if I fill up the tires it usually goes off
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure you can clear the codes yourself by disconnecting the battery.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#21]
That is correct, but if you have a true problem the CEL will just reappear. Neg terminal for 15 minutes and leaving the key in the "on" position helps drain the ECU if any residual power.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
^^ Works for major auto manufacturer as Quality Technical manager (Field Service Engineer). Been in the car service business for 30 years this June. So I do know a bit about this.

CT's emission testing program has two types of tests.

1. If your car is model year 1996 or newer it will have the OBD II system. This system is standardized for all manufacturers and mandates the parameters of the fault code and the fault codes are also standardized.   If your car is 1996 or newer the test is simply to plug into the Data Link connecter and check the "readiness" status and for any faults. If readiness is not set or you have faults you will fail. Readiness is the automatic testing of certain on board emission controls by the vehicles ECM. These tests are mandated by the EPA and all cars have to pass them.

2. If you car is older than 1996 your car is pre OBD II. Some model year 1996 vehicles but were built before January 1, 1996 have OBD I. These vehicles are tested for tailpipe emissions.

You will be hard pressed to pass this test without actually fixing your car. There are 2 readiness bits that relate to O2 sensors. One is for O2 sensor function and another for O2 sensor heating. Until these bits set you will not pass the emissions test.

TPS=Throttle position sensor.
TPMS=Tire Pressure monitoring sensor.

TPMS warning light on should not trigger a failed emissions test.

What kind of car do you drive?

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks edge

PM sent on make/model
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
1995 or older gets a tail pipe test with the car spinning the wheels on the dyno.
You get 60 days to fix it if you fail and you are not late on your initial test
Clearing the code wont help,you will fail for clearing the computer.
fixing it,clearing the computer then driving it for about a 100 miles to set the readiness monitors are the only way to pass
Nobody will take a bribe,10000 fine and very hard to pass a failing vehicle
The tail pipe probe gets flushed with zero air before and after each test so no failing residue is in the probe
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
CT emissions is such a joke. Some years back I had an OBD II hopped up tuner turbo car. Well I was running way bigger injectors so I was running a piggy back fuel management system to control the fuel. The system itself caused a check engine light. I obviously couldn't pass so I unhooked the fuel management system and the car barely ran. The emission place was literally I mile down the road and I wasn't sure if I would even make it there. Car was spitting fuel out of the tail pipe as I pull into the emissions place. Since I cleared the CEL I passed no problem. Got it home plugged everything back in and the CEL came right back on and the car was ready to rip again. Like I said its a joke.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
CT emissions is such a joke. Some years back I had an OBD II hopped up tuner turbo car. Well I was running way bigger injectors so I was running a piggy back fuel management system to control the fuel. The system itself caused a check engine light. I obviously couldn't pass so I unhooked the fuel management system and the car barely ran. The emission place was literally I mile down the road and I wasn't sure if I would even make it there. Car was spitting fuel out of the tail pipe as I pull into the emissions place. Since I cleared the CEL I passed no problem. Got it home plugged everything back in and the CEL came right back on and the car was ready to rip again. Like I said its a joke.
View Quote

Actually if the emission test center was doing their job your car would have had the registration suspended. The vehicle is not to be changed from the OEM design. If it is you are supposed to be turned away and receive a notice. If you do not return to factory your registration will be suspended. You got lucky the technician did not bang you with this notice.

You can read it here.

This state needs a safety inspection program. So many vehicles on the road are unsafe. Bald tires, missing or burned out lights, brakes in poor condition, worn steering and suspension components.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#27]

my old Camaro with the tuned port passed the sniff test with a gutted cat about 10 years ago.

I also took another Camaro with a tunnel ram and 1300 cfm worth of carbs to get tested. I ended up driving it on the dyno that time. it failed for co and hydro carbons but had zero nox emissions

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Had something similar happen with a Nissan sedan many years ago. There was a hole in the muffler and the car barely passed emissions two years in a row. Replaced the muffler after it fell off weeks before the next emissions test and the car promptly failed the emissions test.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#29]
It really depends on the tech.

I had a 96 VR6 suped to high hell years back. Check engine light on for cat under efficiency (cat was removed), I took it in for hahas - handed the tech my keys and turned around to go sit down. I barely had time to sit down and my name was called up. I went to the desk and they handed me my paperwork. Said I was gtg. Tech must have liked my car or something. I laughed, said ok, thanks, and left.

Now I just brought my F-250 in last weekend and they said they couldn't administer the test because I didn't have a tailpipe to hook up. (Tailpipe rotted away and I yanked it off, but the rest of the exhaust is fine.) I said, "you can't just hook it up to the muffler, all you gotta do is bend over". The guy didn't think I was funny, and told me to get a tailpipe. Got it, round two today.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It really depends on the tech.

I had a 96 VR6 suped to high hell years back. Check engine light on for cat under efficiency (cat was removed), I took it in for hahas - handed the tech my keys and turned around to go sit down. I barely had time to sit down and my name was called up. I went to the desk and they handed me my paperwork. Said I was gtg. Tech must have liked my car or something. I laughed, said ok, thanks, and left.

Now I just brought my F-250 in last weekend and they said they couldn't administer the test because I didn't have a tailpipe to hook up. (Tailpipe rotted away and I yanked it off, but the rest of the exhaust is fine.) I said, "you can't just hook it up to the muffler, all you gotta do is bend over". The guy didn't think I was funny, and told me to get a tailpipe. Got it, round two today.
View Quote

Those motors could rip when done up in a small car.

I remember a few pucker sessions back on the turnpike riding shotgun in an old 80's VW that weighed nothing with a hot VR6 swap.  

Certainly not the fastest car, but with the lack of mass to tug around, it had a quality all of it's own.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok it's the front O2 sensor.  Pretty sure I can handle this.   7/8 box wrench, liquid wrench, and some ramps
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok it's the front O2 sensor.  Pretty sure I can handle this.   7/8 box wrench, liquid wrench, and some ramps
View Quote

You'll most likely need a propane tourch to heat the sensor and remove it. At minimum run your car until the engine is up to temp. then remove it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup I had a turbo car with no mufflers and barely functional cat and constant soot marks above exhaust.

Failed emissions once.  Tossed in a can of that "emissions test helper/ nail varnish remover" and passed.

The tough part was the safety inspection they used to do.   GM's used notoriously weak parking brakes.   This thing had to hold the car on the rear left wheel's parking brake while about 330ftlbs tried to drag. The car's ass across the carpet like a dog with the shits.   That took a creative "tune" to keep the power low enough not to overcome the brake's minimal holding power.  (Added slack to
Throttle cable and nearly choked off Intake  and a second gear start)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yup I had a turbo car with no mufflers and barely functional cat and constant soot marks above exhaust.

Failed emissions once.  Tossed in a can of that "emissions test helper/ nail varnish remover" and passed.

The tough part was the safety inspection they used to do.   GM's used notoriously weak parking brakes.   This thing had to hold the car on the rear left wheel's parking brake while about 330ftlbs tried to drag. The car's ass across the carpet like a dog with the shits.   That took a creative "tune" to keep the power low enough not to overcome the brake's minimal holding power.  (Added slack to
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That "parking brake test" the state used to do was stupid. It is a parking brake not the service brake. It is designed to hold the car and keep it from rolling when parked not to hold it in place when trying to drive. Yes it used the rear brake shoes but that lever could not develop anywhere near the pressure the hydraulics could. This is why we have hydraulic brakes not mechanical.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually if the emission test center was doing their job your car would have had the registration suspended. The vehicle is not to be changed from the OEM design. If it is you are supposed to be turned away and receive a notice. If you do not return to factory your registration will be suspended. You got lucky the technician did not bang you with this notice.

You can read it here.

This state needs a safety inspection program. So many vehicles on the road are unsafe. Bald tires, missing or burned out lights, brakes in poor condition, worn steering and suspension components.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can read it here.

Lol nice. Didn't even know this existed. The only car/truck I have ever owned that stayed in OEM condition is my wife's mini van.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lol nice. Didn't even know this existed. The only car/truck I have ever owned that stayed in OEM condition is my wife's mini van.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can read it here.

This is pretty much the federal law. California is even tougher. Since 2008 we are a CA emissions state and as such the warranty for emissions is the same as California. However for penalties we follow the Federal emission guidelines.

The warranty issue is a problem because dealers do not understand the laws. They think CA emissions warranty applies only to CA, it applies to all states that follow CA emission standards. The warranty is much inclusive of components. There is also a PZEV/ZEV emissions warranty that is 15yrs/150,000 miles and covers a ton of stuff. In my day job I have had to intervene in cases where the dealer is charging people for items covered because they do not pay attention or read.

This being said almost never have a seen a car being flagged for emission law violations due to "tuning".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top