Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 9:09:15 PM EDT
I found this over on MGOC

If you got your CPL after 11-22-05 you wont need to have a NICS check when buying  Long guns or Handguns.

Letter
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the letter from ATF,  its says handguns
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'd like to see your letter.
The one I received in the mail from BATFE does not specificly mention long guns or hand guns other than in the section titled "Background", which explains the non-eligibility of the CPL in liew of a NICS check.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to see your letter.
The one I received in the mail from BATFE does not specificly mention long guns or hand guns other than in the section titled "Background", which explains the non-eligibility of the CPL in liew of a NICS check.

did you read the back of the letter?, if the CPL was issued after 11/22/05 you no loner need to run a NICS backround check on pistol purchase, call your local ATF office on Monday and they`ll set you straight
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I read the whole letter and it does not specificly limit this to handguns. I will phone BATFE on Monday for clarification.

If I missed the sentence that limits this to handguns, please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
can you fix that link so it works?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes, I read the whole letter and it does not specificly limit this to handguns. I will phone BATFE on Monday for clarification.

yes you did miss it, CPL  (conceled pistol license)  and it also says quote,  all Michigan Permitts to Purchase a Handgun and CPL`s issued on or after November 22, 2005, now both qualify as a NICS alternatives end quote,  the letter refers to "CPL" "purchase permitts" and "Handguns" I dont know how more specific you can get, says nothing about longuns
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like I am going to have to figure out an excuse to get a new CPL...

a LE officer told me a couple mths ago I should get a new one as my pic really does not look like me....  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes you did miss it, CPL  (conceled pistol license)  and it also says quote,  all Michigan Permitts to Purchase a Handgun and CPL`s issued on or after November 22, 2005, now both qualify as a NICS alternatives end quote,  the letter refers to "CPL" "purchase permitts" and "Handguns" I dont know how more specific you can get, says nothing about longuns

I just got off the phone with Inspector Jakabowski from the Flint office of the BATFE who informed me that the Michigan CPL exception covers the purchase of long guns as well as handguns.
Your reading of that letter is incorrect.
I suggest you phone the BATFE office in your area for confirmation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I have read the letter in question.
I think it may be the letter was not written properly....

Anyway, doesnt matter...
No point in bickering like little girls over something so trivial.

Glad this got cleared up...

Now as I said, seems like I am going to need to figure out a way to get a new CPL and save the dealers I work with the headache of calling in all my info.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Providing accurate information = bickering like little girls?

Great.

btw: You may get a new copy of your CPL, but the date of issue will not change or be updated. You will not be elidgable for the new exception until your scheduled renewal is processed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Special agent Jakabowski and I are bud`s,  just got off the phone with him also, while it is true your CPL dated from 11/22/06 exempts you from the NICS backround on rifles or pistols, the letter was not written correctly by admission of the ATF agents, and I think you`ll see another letter forthcomming, but now there is a new set of problems for the FFL dealer, how and when will you be notfied if the CPL lic is revoked? and if you still call NICS because you feel uncomfortable transfering a long gun with a CPL, lets face it there are times, when your doing a transfer that the dude just doesnt seem right, (like JYogi )you can be charged with abuse of the system which has penalties and fines involved, so I can see a whole new set of problems comming from this

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
hahaha thanks Roach!
I can always count on your for a good personal ref.

Despite what I what everyone says, I still think you are a nice guy  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
tag, interesting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Special agent Jakabowski and I are bud`s,  just got off the phone with him also, while it is true your CPL dated from 11/22/06 exempts you from the NICS backround on rifles or pistols, the letter was not written correctly by admission of the ATF agents, and I think you`ll see another letter forthcomming, but now there is a new set of problems for the FFL dealer, how and when will you be notfied if the CPL lic is revoked? and if you still call NICS because you feel uncomfortable transfering a long gun with a CPL, lets face it there are times, when your doing a transfer that the dude just doesnt seem right, (like JYogi )you can be charged with abuse of the system which has penalties and fines involved, so I can see a whole new set of problems comming from this

I was assured by another BATFE agent that we would not be misusing the system if we chose to run a NICS in liew of accepting the appropriately dated CPL because the acceptance of the CPL is an exception and not mandatory. I will be submitting this concern in writing so that I get a written response for my files.

I brought that concern, along with a few others that I will not elaborate here, to Agent Jakabowski's attention this morning and apparently nobody there had thought some of the ramifications out.

It would be nice if they asked some of us about certain aspects of this type of change before they dove rightt in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
What is different about CPLs issued after November 05?

Never mind, I found it.

CPLs issued after November 22 include a NICS check.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was assured by another BATFE agent that we would not be misusing the system if we chose to run a NICS in liew of accepting the appropriately dated CPL because the acceptance of the CPL is an exception and not mandatory. I will be submitting this concern in writing so that I get a written response for my files.

I brought that concern, along with a few others that I will not elaborate here, to Agent Jakabowski's attention this morning and apparently nobody there had thought some of the ramifications out.

It would be nice if they asked some of us about certain aspects of this type of change before they dove rightt in.

from my experience from dealing with the ATF, I find that if yoiu ask 3 agents a question you`ll get 3 different answers, for myself I have a letter going out tomorrow in regards to me calling NICS if I feel its necessary and not being fined for it, and you are so right "It would be nice if they asked some of us about certain aspects of this type of change before they dove rightt in"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#17]
The BATFE won't fine you. They have no authority to levee fines.
They can issue a violation and with enough of those they can revoke your license, but there are no monitary fines.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Pardon me for jumping in here, but I recently purchased a handgun and listened to the whole conversation between the dealer and NICS.  I don't think that the firearm was mentioned.  Point being that a NICS check has nothing to do with long gun or handgun.

And it's cool that our legislature is doing some positive stuff for us.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#19]
NICS asks the dealer what type of gun is being purchased. Dealer will answer handgun, long gun or both.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay, my bad.  Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just at Double Action today; witnessed a recent CPL license holder buying a gun and no NICS check was done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyway I can get a new CPL?

Due to previous jobs and such the poor dealers I buy or transfer through get transfered over about 3 times waiting for an approval for me....

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#23]
They will re-issue your card if it is lost or destroyed, but it will have the same issue/renewal date.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They will re-issue your card if it is lost or destroyed, but it will have the same issue/renewal date.

In Wayne County you will also probably need a copy of a police report to get them to reissue a permit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Slightly of topic but haven’t had any luck getting answers about the CPL testing. I would like to get my CPL soon but I don't like going to a class with no preparation. What can I do to prepare for the CPL class what kind of range is the testing shot at? Anything you could add that would help to prepare for the class would be grate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Read your CPL pack, it explains everything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Slightly of topic but haven’t had any luck getting answers about the CPL testing. I would like to get my CPL soon but I don't like going to a class with no preparation. What can I do to prepare for the CPL class what kind of range is the testing shot at? Anything you could add that would help to prepare for the class would be grate.

Its not a Chemistry TEST!  You just go and learn about the laws' where you can and cant carry...Talk about if you should tell the police if your carrying or wait for them to ask.  Possibly watch a movie, take a test (Open Book where I took my class) and went to the range and shot strong hand, off hand, Shoot at head, chest....Reload, BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
if you want a new permit that badly, couldnt you just renew early?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Anyway I can get a new CPL?

Due to previous jobs and such the poor dealers I buy or transfer through get transfered over about 3 times waiting for an approval for me....

There is another option you could excersise that would eliminate the possibility of getting delayed.
You could apply for a "unique personal identificaion number (UPIN)" thru the NICS operations center.
It's a relatively new option set up for people that always get delayed.
Contact NICS customer service (or have your dealer do it for you) for details on the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top