Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2010 10:54:00 AM EDT
Joining a club fulfills one requirement for purchase. Does having a CPL fulfill the other requiring instruction and range time? Above that, I think the other requirements are a non-issue.

Secondly, I assume anything picked off the rack still needs to be transferred to a licensed FFL here.

Thirdly, (I do realize there is the forum here for this), but I'd like to just dip my toes into the Garand world, not go waist deep. Maybe one or two nice ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You do not need to transfer it.  As long as you qualify to buy you can take it with you.  This is part of the special status that the CMP has.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Get in your car and drive.  I went there today, just to pick up a couple bayonets.  There and back in four hours, and no regrets.  Other than not having enough funds to pick up another M1.
They got some great Service Specials, Springfield specials, and Corrects.  Any one of those I guarantee you will be happy with.  The boys at the counter will help you through the whole process.
Join a club with proof, or just join the GCA while you're there for $20, take your CPL and ID with proof you're a citizen.  That's it.  Walk out with what you want.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Why dont you sign up for the CMP Small Arms firing School? That qualifies you. Just got back from the pistol school this past Monday. Rifle school is Friday July 30, Sat july 31 and Sun August 1st.

http://www.odcmp.com/NM/SAFS.htm

Me and my brother both bought Daisy 853 marksmanship pellet rifles,.hell of a deal for $85.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
GoGo,

You want to buy one of these:

RM1HRASSP  

M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA Special.
allow 60 days for delivery.
HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture.
$895

Here's the link to the sales page: http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

A guy I shoot with bought one on Friday.  It's beautiful.  He sighted it in yesterday and won a gold medal at the Linden CMP match today.

Pick the one with the nicest wood and then have the barrel checked for wear.  His is almost new.

Buy some of the Greek ammo in the clips while you are there too.  You'll need the clips anyways.

Either get down there in the next couple of days or wait a couple of months.  The national matches have started and they will probably have trouble keeping the racks full.  It will be very busy in the store.  If you wait until Sept., the employees there will probably have more time to work with you.

There's always the supply question.  How many do they have left???

Raffi
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
GoGo,

You want to buy one of these:

RM1HRASSP  

M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA Special.
allow 60 days for delivery.
HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture.
$895

Here's the link to the sales page: http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

A guy I shoot with bought one on Friday.  It's beautiful.  He sighted it in yesterday and won a gold medal at the Linden CMP match today.

Pick the one with the nicest wood and then have the barrel checked for wear.  His is almost new.

Buy some of the Greek ammo in the clips while you are there too.  You'll need the clips anyways.

Either get down there in the next couple of days or wait a couple of months.  The national matches have started and they will probably have trouble keeping the racks full.  It will be very busy in the store.  If you wait until Sept., the employees there will probably have more time to work with you.

There's always the supply question.  How many do they have left???

There were at least a rack of these.  go down pick one up that YOU want, YOU pick, YOU walk away with.  Grab a can or 10 of ammo in clips too, and you can be home by lunch.  I don't understand the dilemma.  Its closer than Cedar Point.  There were only 2-3 guys in the store.  The staff looked bored.      Just Go!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
While you're there don't miss commercial row.

Rock River had some great sale items.  Later, for the rifle matches, Fulton Armory will probably show up with lots of parts.
Armalite has their National Match/CMP M15s for about $900.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rock River had some great sale items.  Later, for the rifle matches, Fulton Armory will probably show up with lots of parts.

Every major manufacturer has a store at Camp Perry right now for the National Matches. Competitors from across the nation are participating in the nationals right now and virtually every supplier to the competitive community has a portable store on location. This is in addition to CMP North. Now is the time to go.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every major manufacturer has a store at Camp Perry right now for the National Matches. Competitors from across the nation are participating in the nationals right now and virtually every supplier to the competitive community has a portable store on location. This is in addition to CMP North. Now is the time to go.

THIS!

Plus there is an NRA store selling 2010 national match merchandise. They also are having a fire sale on older 2009 and 2008 NM polo shirts and sweatshirts, $4 and $6!
Plan on spending at least 4 hours at Camp Perry to wander through all the vendors and get your rifle at the CMP store.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all for the info.  Any of the Special Grade rifles seem very appealing to me.  I didn't mean to imply I have a CPL- unfortunately I do not.  Everyone I know- including local PD thinks I'm crazy for not having one.  I live in a low crime area- just crazy for not enjoying the convenience of it.  I will find it hard to kill two days at the class, so for now I guess I can work on getting a CPL (I know where I'd take that 1 day class) and then go to the North Store in the fall.  Hopefully the Special grades are still there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
You can also shoot in a match to qualify for purchase.

There are matches at Linden Sportsmans club and Detroit Sportsmans Congress in Shelby.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Go here and fill out the form, CMP marksmanship form link have someone stand over you while watching you fire your pistol/rifle in a safe manner, then sign it and send it in.

Then go here and join the GCA and send them $25

Got to the North store with proof of US citizenship (birth cert. / passport) and buy your hearts content.

Doesn't get any easier than that.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks to all for the info.  Any of the Special Grade rifles seem very appealing to me.  I didn't mean to imply I have a CPL- unfortunately I do not.  Everyone I know- including local PD thinks I'm crazy for not having one.  I live in a low crime area- just crazy for not enjoying the convenience of it.  I will find it hard to kill two days at the class, so for now I guess I can work on getting a CPL (I know where I'd take that 1 day class) and then go to the North Store in the fall.  Hopefully the Special grades are still there.

I believe Orest Michaels (head of CMP) said a hunting license would also suffice.  Go to the page ODCMP.ORG and check out the requirements, or go on the forum and "ask Orest", he has his own page.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I have it nailed guys. I will get a LE friend to sign the sheet the CMP requires (as he already has witnessed the items from me ad nauseum). That will cure the short term and get me over there. As for the CPL- well I guess it's about time. I will take it in the early fall.

Thanks to all for your help!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Apply for a one year membership with the "Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association", once you have their membership card in hand, that's all you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top