Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:23:31 PM EDT
I am in klamath county, anybody have any experience with obtaining signatures down here?
does Oregon have a shall sign CLEO law. Who is the CLEO, is it the police chief or the county sheriff. any comments or experiences are appreciated
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Washington Co. and there is zero problem... other than making an appointment for Wednesdays only.  Multnomah Co. signs them (I've heard) and if they do, anyone will... probably.

BTW, it's the sheriff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
thats it just one
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have experience w/ clackamas county?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Clackamas Co. is also no problem, as friends living there have said.

You of course have to have your forms all filled out (2 copies) first before going in with the transferors signature and the weapon information as well as yours including a 2x2 forward facing mug shot of you.

I would call the CWP office of the sheriff dept. (look up in yellow pages) and ask if you can make an appointment for an NFA sign-off and to get finger printed (if you called the wrong dept, they'll get you to the right place).  While getting the prints, I would at least one extra set, depending on how many NFA toys you plan on getting in the next year.

You'll talk to a secretary, most likely, and they will make the appointment for the deputy and finger printing.  You'll go in, pay a small fee for the prints, get printed and then see the deputy for signature.  You of course have to have your forms all filled out first before going in.

Remember, it is not the CLEO to say you may or may not have the NFA item, only that there are no laws against the citizens of the CLEO's jurisdiction (where you live) from having them.  The fed. gov't (FBI) does the background investigation (with the fingerprints you provide) on you to make sure you're honest Abe.

The deputy may as a few questions about the NFA item but in the end, he's probably just curios.  I've also heard some counties don't sign on the spot.  

You may have to mail them in and then they'll sign and mail back so be prepared for that, should it happen... which add time to the process.

It's really not difficult at all.  The hardest part is 'pending' while the NFA slowly does their thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Clackamas Co. is also no problem, as friends living there have said.

You of course have to have your forms all filled out (2 copies) first before going in with the transferors signature and the weapon information as well as yours including a 2x2 forward facing mug shot of you.

I would call the CWP office of the sheriff dept. (look up in yellow pages) and ask if you can make an appointment for an NFA sign-off and to get finger printed (if you called the wrong dept, they'll get you to the right place).  While getting the prints, I would at least one extra set, depending on how many NFA toys you plan on getting in the next year.

You'll talk to a secretary, most likely, and they will make the appointment for the deputy and finger printing.  You'll go in, pay a small fee for the prints, get printed and then see the deputy for signature.  You of course have to have your forms all filled out first before going in.

Remember, it is not the CLEO to say you may or may not have the NFA item, only that there are no laws against the citizens of the CLEO's jurisdiction (where you live) from having them.  The fed. gov't (FBI) does the background investigation (with the fingerprints you provide) on you to make sure you're honest Abe.

The deputy may as a few questions about the NFA item but in the end, he's probably just curios.  I've also heard some counties don't sign on the spot.  

You may have to mail them in and then they'll sign and mail back so be prepared for that, should it happen... which add time to the process.

It's really not difficult at all.  The hardest part is 'pending' while the NFA slowly does their thing.

Small fee?  It's $15 per card!  That's $15 to take the prints and print out a card, and $15 to hit the "print" button again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I pay $5 per card and they are ink, not electronic.
Thats in The Dalles, walk-in.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Washington County is $15 for the first pair of cards, then $2 each additional, up to 6 total. Electronic, no ink. Walk-ins welcome, but appointment preferred.

I usually go see Lt. Black to get my sign-offs, then stop by next door and get my prints taken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top