Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 10:11:46 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm trying to purchase my first suppressor. Has anyone had any luck getting a CLEO sign off in Clermont County, or with a state OH official?

I'm in Union Township. I've contacted the township chief (Knox), and he says no. I'm still waiting to hear back from the county sheriff (Rodenberg), but the class III dealer says he's refused them in the past. And the Clermont County prosecutor won't sign either.

So I wanted to hear anyone's experiences. I might end up having to go the LLC route. Thanks.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks mmk.

Do you know of an instance where Sheriff Rodenberg has signed a form 4? According to the class III dealer, my local Union township chief (Knox) won't sign BECAUSE Rodenberg won't sign, and Knox doesn't want to cross him.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, we're neighbors dude.  Where you been hidin'?

I believe it's the other way around.  Rodenberg is supposed to be very pro and will sign, but won't piss in another CLEO's(Knox) backyard.  My understanding is we're the only one's in Clermont county who can't get a sign off.

Come join us at Miller's on Saturday for some fun
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi, Eric!  

Looking forward to a few

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe it's the other way around.  Rodenberg is supposed to be very pro and will sign, but won't piss in another CLEO's(Knox) backyard.  My understanding is we're the only one's in Clermont county who can't get a sign off.

That is my understanding as well.  Though I live in Hamilton county, I got my CCW in Clermont because the Sheriff there is very pro-gun.  At one point, he wrote a regular column in the OFCC newsletter.  I don't know if he still does or not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies and the welcomes.

So is the general consensus that I'm out of luck for getting a CLEO sign off in Union Township, Clermont County? I'm still waiting to hear back from Sheriff Rodenberg. But his secretary said he's extremely busy this month and wouldn't be able to meet with me until after the first of the year.

Or has anyone tried to get CLEO sign off from a state official? I hate to spend all this time waiting to be turned down when I could have a LLC up and running in a couple weeks.

Has anyone gone the LLC route to purchase class III toys? I've been researching this, and I believe it's only $125 to set one up with no annual fees. And as long as you don't have any income or expenses, i.e. you use it to collect toys, you don't owe any taxes. Seems like a pretty good deal, especially when you consider you don't have to get CLEO permission whenever you want a new toy, no finger prints, and about half the turnaround time with the ATF.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW, I would love to meet some local shooters some time. I won't be able to make this Saturday because it's opening day for duck season, and I'll be out at East Fork lake all day.

Where does everyone shoot? I belong at Miami Rifle and Pistol in Milford, OH, and I shoot USPSA matches at Miami and Oxford. I've been thinking about shooting a few of the winter matches at Miamisburg and Dayton.

I've got some real nice shooters, and would love to make an Ohio shoot this Spring.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi, Eric... Jeff again.

Using the term "permission" above is reaaly incorrect...  Cooperation is a better term.  By signing the Form 4 (or Form 1 if making a SBR), the CLEO is not giving you his permission, he is cooperating with you by signing the form indicating that he has no reason to beieleve you are disqualified to posess the NFA item.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]
You could try to petition a court to issue a writ mandamus, but getting success there is about as iffy as seeking the signature to begin with.  If you can find a high enough gun-friendly court (judge)  in your jurisdiction, that is an option.... alleit not likely a fruitful option.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Well hi Jeff, I didn't realize that was you!

Jeff has been very helpful in answering many of my noob class III and LLC questions via email, and I've never even met the man. Just goes go show how the gun community is made up of some of the friendliest, most helpful and selfless people in the country.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...has anyone tried to get CLEO sign off from a state official?

SBR Journal

What Slash said.  If reading that doesn't convince you to incorporate, nothing will.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]
What a shame. You'd think all those smart people would be able to read two sentences of plain English and understand who is supposed to sign and what it means when they sign.

Looks like it's the LLC/trust route for me. Has anyone used a living trust to transfer NFA items instead of a LLC? I've been researching this avenue, and it looks like less of a hassle than an LLC. No tax returns to file or annual upkeep/fees, etc. I've read about other members using a trust for transfers to avoid annual LLC hassles in their states.

Eric
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top