Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 7:33:49 PM EDT
My cousin is retiring from the AF and moved back home to AR.
He asked about getting a CHL and foregoing the class and using his military quals in lieu of that.

I looked in the regs and found §5-73-320 which may be saying that but not certain.

Anyone have experience with this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My cousin is retiring from the AF and moved back home to AR.
He asked about getting a CHL and foregoing the class and using his military quals in lieu of that.

I looked in the regs and found §5-73-320 which may be saying that but not certain.

Anyone have experience with this?
View Quote

He still has to take the class, he would just be exempt from the live fire portion.  Quite frankly, it's not really worth it. He'd be better served to just take the full class.  If he uses his military pistol qualification, his CHCL will only be valid for the duration of his military issued ID card.  Almost everyone is better off just shooting with the CHCL class and getting the full five years that you get with a traditional CHCL qualification.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If I read this right, this exception is only for active duty, and does not apply to retired.

Also, it says, "may issue", which is different from the mainline process, which is "shall issue."

I understand where he's coming from--retired AF here--you'd like for your training to be recognized.  But I would just do the civilian class, because the .mil M9 qual is just for 2 year currency, anyway.  I don't think he'd save much $$ in the end.  Opinion only.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I got ya.  He's technically still active until early March I believe.

I was gonna recommend the class as the laws and stuff here are different than Colorado.
Thanks for the responses guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top