Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 10:40:25 AM EDT
Okay Michiganders, my paperwork is in and the wait begins.

How long was yours?

And since I'm already using bandwidth, why don't you share what you carry and with what rig (if you'd like to).
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
First time was 60 days, second time was 50.

Since it's winter, I have been CCWing my 5" S&W 625 in a Kramer holster.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Wayne County was a 5 month wait (recently read here it has shortened). It varies from county to county.

Carrying mostly a SA Loaded 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II or a Galco Miami Classic currently (new gun, new rig).

T Bone (Detroit)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Wayne County has it down to 10 week average.
I carry my G23 with 357 sig barrel in a C-Tac IWB off duty and Bladetech OWB when I am working with a double mag carrier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
It took one month (30 days) exact for me, this was three years ago, Oakland county. I just sold my main carry gun which was a hk P7, i had a local saddler make the holster for me in shark skin, it went with the gun. Today i'm carrying a ppks in a in the pants over the belt holster (very comfy).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Washtenaw County - The first time it took ~30 days.  I sent in my renewal in Dec. 04 and it came back in March 2005 ~90 days later. (They blamed the FBI for the delay).

My primary carry is a Kahr K9 in a Don Hume IWB holster.  I load it with Fed 147gr. Hydrashocks.

When I lived in Indiana, I applied for my first CCW.  It took 5 minutes to fill out the 1-page form at the police station, they took one thumbprint, it cost $10 with no class required and I received the permit in the mail two weeks later.  If we can't have Vermont laws, it should at least be like Indiana.

By the way, I carried on a daily basis for nearly three years in Indiana before moving back to Michigan.  You guessed it, I had to take the class, pay the fees and wait for the permit.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies, folks. Seems two-months is about average for many areas.

This would be my first permit once she breaks free of the red tape.

I don't have a carry piece as yet - just the SA 1911A1 and a G17. They're both fine weapons, but too big for daily carry for someone like me. I am currently considering a Kahr P45 after handling one. I like the slimness of an auto over a revolver, and am partial to .45 if I have any say. Of course a .22 is still better than a rock or sharp stick, but - God forbid - if I ever needed it, I'd throw nothing less than 200+ grains.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told 2 months when I turned mine in the 1st of November. After christmas I got a call saying that they had a screw up with the prints going to the State Police and she wanted to know if I had gotten a letter requesting me to come in for new prints...

So after telling her that I hadn't, she said that they probably had my prints "somewhere" and that if there were any more updates, I would get a call.

I'm not counting on getting my permit till the end of time.

I'll carry a Glock 26 in a Comp-tac Gurkha, or in the summer it will be a KelTec P3AT.

Edit: Genesee county.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Wayne County, 10 weeks to the day from application to gun board approval. One week later to get letter in the mail, another week later to pickup  CCW at Clerk's office due to being closed for the holidays.

No Expert

Edit:

Carrying a Ruger P93DAO, IWB.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I have a different experience.  Originally applied in Oakland county.  Took 30 days.  Reapplied in  Wayne Co.  Took a day over 2 weeks.

Thats probably not the experience everyone is going to get but it looks like I hit all the lights on green and never slowed down both times.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in 03 it took me 9 months to get mine from Wayne Co.  Of course it took longer because the state sent my records back to Marquette Co by mistake.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, I got it. It took almost a month for those of you who are interested.
Thanks for everyone's replies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, that's good news!

First time for me was 93 days in Macomb County. I went in to renew the day before yesterday in Wayne county and was told 'ah send you a letta, a coupla munts'. Overall, I was expecting to get a hassle in the Detroit City/County building but I was in and out in 5 minutes and everybody was pleasant. The Oakland County Sherrif's office was a little different though... Met a very large, very brusk, very "Urban" officer at the desk. The conversation went something like this:

"Can I help you?"
"Yes, I am renewing my CPL and was told by the Clerk to come to this office for my fingerprints when I applied this morning."
<rattles off>"You been down to da County yet?" "Somebody tell you to come down here""You bin down here befo'?"
"Yes, about a half an hour ago. (duh)"
"Well, you got to go down to da County firs."
"Officer, I have already applied-here is my reciept with my application number on it.."
"Oh, Ok den..." .. .. . "Well I don't do fingerprints between 12 and 1, you hafta come back layta".
"Ok, not a problem.." (Pighelmet had to wait to get his so I was expecting to be told this)
"MMMMmmm Da soonis I can get you in iiiiis Mundee at eleben-fiteen"
"That'll be fine, sir" (happy to have gotten in that soon-Pighelmet had to plead with them when they gave him a date WEEEKS from when he went in)
"Ok, bring me dat piecea paper(my reciept from the Clerk), yo driver licinz, and come back 'n see me on Mundee"
"Ok" (Shuffles papers back in my folder)..... .. .. . "Doyou need to take my name down?"
"Naw, Jis bring me dat piecea paper, yo driver licinz, and come back 'n see me on Mundee"
"Will do., Thankyou."

Glad to have gotten a close fingerprint date, but I couldn't help but feel as if it were an arbitrary fingerprinting schedule-he wasn't looking at a calandar or anything, didn't have any interest in having me sign up for it etc, just wanted to make absolutely sure that this was their game and they were going to dictate how and when it is played.

I wonder how much of the differences in wait times for the permit hearing date are determined by a flood of people coming in at the same time every year because they all ran out and got their permits right away when they became available for us Serfs and Peasants?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top