Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 8:39:34 AM EDT
Are the records of carry permit holders public in Mississippi?

I know this question sounds suspicious. Honest, I'm a good guy. I'm in a conversation with a fellow Mississippian who is hesitant to get her permit b/c she believes they are publicly available. I just want to know if this is true or not. If it is, how *readily* available are they to the general public?

(If you don't believe my good guy status, here's a longish post I wrote on the new extended carry permit: http://bigfoodetc.blogspot.com/2011/12/public-service-announcement.html )
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#1]
They aren't readily available. I got someone to do a foia on me with all my info and he was told "no".  

The law exempts them for some period of 90 days or something arbitrary, but essentially they are open to foia.  It's just no one complies.

I worked extensively on hb506.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I'll pass this along to my friend.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Nolo!

Does this mean the travesty that the Commercial Appeal (local Memphis newspaper) did a few  years ago won't happen?

For those who don't know/remember, the CA used FOIA to obtain- then publish all of those with a CCW in the newspaper.  Complete with address and other info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks Nolo!

Does this mean the travesty that the Commercial Appeal (local Memphis newspaper) did a few  years ago won't happen?

For those who don't know/remember, the CA used FOIA to obtain- then publish all of those with a CCW in the newspaper.  Complete with address and other info.

did they do it for MS?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The Clarion Ledger used to do it in the first year that permits were allowed until a law was passed prohibiting it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
From the Mississippi Code:

(8) The Department of Public Safety shall maintain an automated listing of license holders and such information shall be available online, upon request, at all times, to all law enforcement agencies through the Mississippi Crime Information Center. However, the records of the department relating to applications for licenses to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers and records relating to license holders shall be exempt from the provisions of the Mississippi Public Records Act of 1983 for a period of forty-five (45) days from the date of the issuance of the license or the final denial of an application.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]
This was a big deal in parts of Ohio a few years ago. The Cleveland paper routinely published names of new permit holders. The main gun-rights advocacy group worked hard to stop it. I never saw it as a real problem, though. I viewed it as a public service.

Attention! I am not an easy target. Move along.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the logic behind a 45 day exemption period? Is there some sort of provision or law that would prohibit this info from being exempt from FOI requests?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the logic behind a 45 day exemption period? Is there some sort of provision or law that would prohibit this info from being exempt from FOI requests?

I have asked but not gotten an answer. (The Legislature is not required to tell us why they did something.)

I have suggested that they remedy the problem by amending the law, but that was not done.

State lawmakers are mostly reactive.  Until they see a problem they do nothing.

I suspect eventually the Clarion Ledger or some other Commie newspaper will get the list and publish it.  Then the Legislature can make a big deal out of considering a change.  If Democrats have regained control nothing good will happen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have asked but not gotten an answer. (The Legislature is not required to tell us why they did something.)

I have suggested that they remedy the problem by amending the law, but that was not done.

State lawmakers are mostly reactive.  Until they see a problem they do nothing.

I suspect eventually the Clarion Ledger or some other Commie newspaper will get the list and publish it.  Then the Legislature can make a big deal out of considering a change.  If Democrats have regained control nothing good will happen.

We should prbly try tO get this fixed this session.  I'll contact some people and see what we can do
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Philip Gunn, new Speaker of the House, is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.  He supported the Castle Law as I recall.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/members/house/Gunn.xml
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Nolo!

did they do it for MS?

No, I believe it was for the TN folks in the local Memphis area only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top