Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/15/2005 5:24:39 PM EST
If I want to get a CCW, do I need to apply for a CCW permit in my county, or can I apply in a county that is a little more friendly. Does anyone here have one that would share the process, pitfalls and pointers. I read the DOJ stuff and it sounds easy enough, but I wanted to hear from the horses mouth. The reason I ask is today on NRA news they were talking about how some of the inland empire counties are isssuing CCWs as long as you are not a badguy. Almost like shall issue states. Any input?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:58:19 PM EST
It is my understanding that you have to apply with the county in which your hole address is located.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:55:20 AM EST
Just in case you haven’t come across these two resources, check out:



9mm is absolutely correct. Not only do you need to apply in your county of residence, a “need” also has to be established. The ease of establishing a need ranges from impossible (L.A. county) to reasonable (some of the Central Valley and Sierra foothills counties). In the county I live in (Placer) the process is reasonably rational, although during the interview the sheriff made it very clear that any infraction (including a speeding ticket) would be reason enough for revocation in his county. He said “Speeding tickets are a sign of irresponsible behavior. Irresponsible people should not be licensed to carry.”
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:30:11 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:56:56 AM EST
These guys gave you good info....

What county do you live in? in some, it is impossible, in others, pretty easy as long as you have no criminal record, etc.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:07:03 PM EST
i believe the law was amended a few years back. before, a Chief of Police or Sheriff could issue a CCW to anyone who lived in the county. meaning, a Chief could issue to any citizen who lived in the county the city was located in. that means, a small town Chief could issue to a citizen who resided in the big city next to his, so long as they were both in the same county.

now, you'd have to go to the CLEO of the city or county you reside in. say you live in the city of Irvine. you can go to either the Chief of Irvine PD or the Sheriff of Orange County.

i am a former LEO from CA (northern). my recollection is that Orange Co. S/O issuing but you have to take some class their range officers put on and pay their fees (including the cost of the class). i have heard some of the inland empire counties are issuing, but nothing in CA is "Shall Issue."

also CA makes you put up to 3 firearms on the CCW and they are serial number specific.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:20:32 PM EST
locally...here in Kern Co it is opposite. Until this year, if you lived in the city limits, you had to apply to the city. Outside the city limits you applied to the county.

But since the beginning of 2005, Kern CO will even issue to city residents without the citys (Bakersfield) consent.

I don't know what changed though...it could just be an agreement between our CO Sheriff and city police chief though (Both are pretty new to their positions)

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:51:23 AM EST
The is one exception I can think of to the above. If you work or have a business in a county other the one in which you reside, you MAY be able to get permit in the county where you work. It wouldn't be much use in other than work situations since those types of permits are usually issued with very specific limits and are only valid in the county in which they are issued.
Top Top