Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 4:09:09 PM EDT
I'm planning on taking a hike on the appalachian trail in Cornwall CT this weekend.  I have read that firearms are forbidden in Federal Parks.  Does the appalachian trail fall under this law?  I would hate to end up illegally carrying.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy I work with is an avid hiker and he has stated on multiple occasions that guns are forbidden "on the A-T"

- BG
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I never saw any signs, it's not federal property or a park, besides its "concealed" carry.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
No info on the websites either!

www.ct-amc.org
www.outdoors.org

Besides, most trails go through areas where hunting is allowed and they even tell you to use caution during hunting season on the websites.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It's mostly State and Private land with Right-Of-Way for the Trail.  I highly doubt that it would qualify as a Federal Park for the purposes of disqualification of CCW.  That being said, I've done portions up in NH and have always carried, sometimes even open.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to everyone for the info.  I tried to find info on the web about this and couldn't find anything.  Since I got my CCW I haven't hiked without it.  Most people you meet while hiking are upstanding folk, but you never know what you may come across.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's mostly State and Private land with Right-Of-Way for the Trail.  I highly doubt that it would qualify as a Federal Park for the purposes of disqualification of CCW.  That being said, I've done portions up in NH and have always carried, sometimes even open.

How did the mostly liberal hiker sheep react to that one?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did the mostly liberal hiker sheep react to that one?

Never had anybody even say anything, but we're talking backwoods not areas where people go day hiking.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I always carry on the trail. I have a padded Eagle Creek pouch on my backpack hipbelt that fits my S&W 638 w/2 speed loaders.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I always carry on the trail. I have a padded Eagle Creek pouch on my backpack hipbelt that fits my S&W 638 w/2 speed loaders.

I also use a padded Eagle Creek pouch for my Glock 36 & spare mag.  Works fantastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top