Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 11:58:29 PM EDT
I've just realised I am mising a vital component in my reloading setup?  

What should I be looking for? Range etc?  Make?  What are any other reloaders using?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the market for a set of digital scales as well but there are potential problems with digital scales from the bottom end of the market, as always you get what you pay for.  The following link provides a good write up on a moderately priced Denver Instruments Scale:

http://www.6mmbr.com/mxx123test.html

The MXX123 is available in the UK from Wolf Lab Supplies at about £250 inc shipping, you might get it cheaper as a direct import.

I haven't decided yet what to go for at the moment I'm thinking of getting a Denver Instruments APX-153 but am still researching.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
£250!

You get paid far toooo much!

I'll stick with my dillon balance!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Borrowed Mousegunners Lyman 105 beam scakes this afternoon...... Also spotted a set of Dillon Terminator Digital scales on eBay......

Not quite sure which way to go?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#5]
beam scales. I've had my RCBS scales for 20 years now, and I haven't had to change the batteries once!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm using a Lyman 1200DPS.....works for me although I'm not reloading vast quantities of ammo, using   a single stage RCBS Rockchucker.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm using a Lyman 1200DPS.....works for me although I'm not reloading vast quantities of ammo, using   a single stage RCBS Rockchucker.

I'm using an AND EK200G, originally it came from a pharmaceutical company in town that went bust.
Does grams, onces, grains, avoirdupois, and troy, will count, and will even tell you if the object weighed is above or below the average weight set.  Does more than I need.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
beam scales. I've had my RCBS scales for 20 years now, and I haven't had to change the batteries once!

+1
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using an AND EK200G, originally it came from a pharmaceutical company in town that went bust.
Does grams, onces, grains, avoirdupois, and troy, will count, and will even tell you if the object weighed is above or below the average weight set. Does more than I need.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Borrowed Mousegunners Lyman 105 beam scakes this afternoon...... Also spotted a set of Dillon Terminator Digital scales on eBay......

Dave, Dave, Dave,

They are RCBS 5.0.5 scakes (oops...scale)  not lyman (if I was going to buy digital I would get the lyman 1200dps).

Stick with a good beam scale as above.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Whether or not to get a set of Digital Scales depends on what you want to use them for.  If your aim is to be able to batch and sort your cases by weight then a Digital Scale will save you some time.  If you want to individually weigh each powder charge then a good balance scale is hard to beat on cost. I only individually weigh powder charges for 600 yard Highpower loads, mainly because it takes so long per round; if I could find a quicker way of accurately dispensing powder charges by weight I would use it for all loads.  There is a machine that will dispense powder by weight quickly and "very" accurately but it's not currently in production and is $1175+ in cost.

http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html
http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/i/Products/Prometheus_01x300.jpg

There is allegedly one in the UK but I'm not sure who has it.  Not me (yet).

A Digital Scale is useful to quickly check weigh each of your loaded rounds before an important match and should be able to highlight a round with a light or no powder charge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave, Dave, Dave,

They are RCBS 5.0.5 scakes (oops...scale)  not lyman (if I was going to buy digital I would get the lyman 1200dps).

Stick with a good beam scale as above.

Dave

I stand corrected.....

But am considering a digital scale just for checking overall bullet weight as per RN-Submariners last reply.  Until confidence in ability increases I think I will be weighing all loads prior to firing them...... I know the Dillon 650 is all singing and dancing, but I ain't........
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever scales you get, got a set of check weights.

I found one Lee set were nearly 1.5 grains out over a 10 grain reading. Not a lot when you're measuring 40-50 grains, but when you are putting 6.5 grains in a pistol case...that is a big percentage error! Needless to say they were sent packing and were replaced with the Lyman set which were spot-on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whether or not to get a set of Digital Scales depends on what you want to use them for.  If your aim is to be able to batch and sort your cases by weight then a Digital Scale will save you some time.  If you want to individually weigh each powder charge then a good balance scale is hard to beat on cost. I only individually weigh powder charges for 600 yard Highpower loads, mainly because it takes so long per round; if I could find a quicker way of accurately dispensing powder charges by weight I would use it for all loads.  There is a machine that will dispense powder by weight quickly and "very" accurately but it's not currently in production and is $1175+ in cost.

here you go linky Harrell's - the best powder measures in the world. Naturally, Streetfighters got one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#16]
So what powder measures do the panel use?

I've got a Dillon measure on my RL550, I get relatively frequent 'bridging' with RL15 - a problem I hardly ever saw with Varget, and never saw with pistol powders (yes, my 550 is that old). Any advice apart from go back to Varget?

SteveA
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So what powder measures do the panel use?

I've got a Dillon measure on my RL550, I get relatively frequent 'bridging' with RL15 - a problem I hardly ever saw with Varget, and never saw with pistol powders (yes, my 550 is that old). Any advice apart from go back to Varget?

SteveA

Lee Perfect Powder Measure, for low volume loading (and I mean qty of ammo, not case capacity)
Dillon Powder Measure on the 550 for bulk loading (223/7.62/6.5-08)
Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure for the old pistol calibres (44mag mainly)

The bridging in the 550 is more frequent with stick powders, but can be eased by reaming the powder funnel. I've done it on the 223 funnel and I only get one or two bridgings per loading session (about 100-200 rounds). I never bothered with the 7.62 measure and rarely get powder bridging, and it's never happened on the 6.5-08 since I got the correct funnel.

But the best powder measure (consistent throw, low initial cost, ease of setting up) I've used is the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It's too easy and never gives a problem. The only reason I don't use it more often is it's a lot slower to use it when making larger quantities of ammo, especially when there's a perfectly good powder measure on the turrets.

ETA: Don't get too hung up over variations in the powder charge. A few points of a grain up or down isn't going to make a difference. I use 24.6gns in my 223 loads, and I know that if it's as low as 24.2 or as high as 25.0 then it's still going to go in the same place that the 'optimum' 24.6 will go. My powder measure has a resolution of 0.2grains, and I've heard at least one shooter worrying about the 0.1 grain difference he was getting. LIFE'S TOO SHORT FOR THAT.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Dillon balance for set up

Dillon powder measure on the 650
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Currently RCBS 10-10 Scale for set up and 600 yard loads, Harrell Premium Culver Measure with extra long drop tube for 200/300 yard loads.  RCBS single stage press for sizing, Wilson SS Micrometer Bullet Seater and arbour press for bullet seating.  Do not use a progressive press anymore as am not shooting the volume of rounds to need one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top