Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 5:55:47 PM EDT
Instead of going to the Indy 1500 gunshow as I normally do, I attended this auction today and purchased 44 acres of prime deer and turkey habitat, including a pond. The property is essentially a hilltop with slope on three sides (great defensive position in case of SHTF! haha)  This place is real private and will make an excellent place to shoot.  Next step is to lay out the rifle, pistol, and trap shooting ranges.  When that's complete (later in the summer) let's discuss a Hoosier arfcom day of fellowship and firearms to properly christen the acreage.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations! You can't go wrong buying land, as there's only so much of it to go around. I probably wasn't too far from it today, as we passed through Loogootee on our way to the Black Buggy restaurant in Washington.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Congratulations! You can't go wrong buying land, as there's only so much of it to go around. I probably wasn't too far from it today, as we passed through Loogootee on our way to the Black Buggy restaurant in Washington.

Thanks!  You were within 6 miles of this property today.  Hope you didn't get too full at the Black Buggy.  I usually waddle out out of there feeling like the Thanksgiving turkey.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
A big congratulations!!! Nothing better than having your own land to play on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
AWESOME! Congrats! Even though I am a Buckeye, I'd be honored to help you christen the wilderness reserve.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
AWESOME! Congrats! Even though I am a Buckeye, I'd be honored to help you christen the wilderness reserve.

I'm sure we can accomodate some of our friends from Ohio!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]

The property is essentially a hilltop with slope on three sides (great defensive position in case of SHTF! haha)  

Congratulations!
Now you really are 'king of the hill !
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Congratulations!
Now you really are 'king of the hill !

I'm going to show your post to my wife.  Think she will treat me like a king or demand to be treated like a queen?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, one more thing. My wife's cousin is a Martin County police officer, so there shouldn't be any problem with a bunch of guns going off. I've deer hunted with him a lot over the years, and he's an easy-going guy. In fact, he lives in Loogootee and recently opened a taxidermy shop as well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations!  That's one of my big goals someday.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you say..."Black Buggy"?..Man I love that place. I highly recommend Stoll's in Linton also.  But anyway back to the subject at hand.  Congratulations and I'd love to leave some brass on your newly purchased earth! Cheerio..
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did you say..."Black Buggy"?..Man I love that place. I highly recommend Stoll's in Linton also.  But anyway back to the subject at hand.  Congratulations and I'd love to leave some brass on your newly purchased earth! Cheerio..

I'm thinking with the amount of shooting to go on at the new acreage, 100 years down the road there could be enough ore for a brass mine!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I just looked it up on the topo map.  Looks good.  Which tract did you buy?  Just a short drive to Glendale, Patoka and the Ohio river from there.  I like it.  Congratulations

Can we pee off the top of the hill or are you going to build a deck?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just looked it up on the topo map.  Looks good.  Which tract did you buy?  Just a short drive to Glendale, Patoka and the Ohio river from there.  I like it.  Congratulations

Can we pee off the top of the hill or are you going to build a deck?

How about a ski jump?  That way we can pee as we fly free through the trees.

I bought tracts 7 and 8.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the INDY 1500?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#16]

craicshooter:
What is the INDY 1500?

It's some little gun show they have in Indy every now and then...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
BTT  for my own review.  I drove through this area a few weeks ago on the way to Holiday world.  I like it. I realized I was close so I took a quick detour from memory.  Not sure if I hit it exactly but I was damn close.  

Had fun at Holiday world.  Will do it again.  Jasper was cool, some good restaurants too.

Also drove back on highway 50. I like the looks of Martin State Forest.  I plan to head bakc there to do some camping.  I am trying to find some areas where I can do some primitive camping, just hike back and camp.  And hunt too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
BTT  for my own review.  I drove through this area a few weeks ago on the way to Holiday world.  I like it. I realized I was close so I took a quick detour from memory.  Not sure if I hit it exactly but I was damn close.  

Had fun at Holiday world.  Will do it again.  Jasper was cool, some good restaurants too.

Also drove back on highway 50. I like the looks of Martin State Forest.  I plan to head bakc there to do some camping.  I am trying to find some areas where I can do some primitive camping, just hike back and camp.  And hunt too.

I've spent lots of time in the Martin State Forest since it is close to home.  There is a 'primitive' campground at the Forest with a nice hiking trail nearby.  The only time I've ever seen the campground populated is during deer season.  If you want to hike back in and camp, there is a really good place for that.  I am not sure the property manager will say it's okay if you ask him, but people do it anyway and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble.  If you're interested, IM me and I will send you directions to the spot.

The State Forest is good for deer and turkey hunting. I imagine there are some ruffed grouse there too.  Due to the ruggedness of the property and distance from the road, I expect there are bucks that die of old age rather than from high-speed projectiles.

The forest has a fire lookout tower that provides a spectacular view, especially in the fall when the leaves turn color.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top