Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2013 2:00:39 PM EDT
This morning on the drive in I hear this bit of lunacy...

Bill passed through committee that would make DUI of medical marijuana NOT a criminal offense!!!

Heaven forbid we allow anyone sane, sober and not blind to carry concealed while on campus though.  That bill never made it out of committee ... WTF!  

On the bright side, since I now have more than a single issue to vote on, I should be off "that" Homeland Security watch list
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This morning on the drive in I hear this bit of lunacy...

Bill passed through committee that would make DUI of medical marijuana NOT a criminal offense!!!

Heaven forbid we allow anyone sane, sober and not blind to carry concealed while on campus though.  That bill never made it out of committee ... WTF!  

On the bright side, since I now have more than a single issue to vote on, I should be off "that" Homeland Security watch list

We sure live in a crazy time. Sometimes it appears to be 'opposites world' to me. Good is bad, right is wrong, etc.... F me.

Edited to ask: Does anybody know if it's a criminal offense if you're driving while under the influence of alcohol that you ingested from medication? Serious question. And yes, I know I should know this. I just always operated under the driving = no alcohol (irregardless of source) rule.

Link Posted: 4/17/2013 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't read the text of the bill, but my assumption would be that it still would not allow you to be "high" and driving at the same time.

THC stays in your blood stream days after the effects have worn off. It wouldn't be fair to charge a medical marijuana user with DUI who last used the drug three days ago but still has a positive test. I'm sure they could still charge the person if the officer confirms he or she was driving impaired.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#3]
You do not even want to know some of the other bills that ARE moving forward!

Campus carry got shafted again, but bills to make trapping more of a hassle, set us up to lose our bear hunts, recognize "Gay Marriage", tax the hell out of mining, universal background checks/gun registration, etc are moving right along.
Welcome to East-East Kalifornia!
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You do not even want to know some of the other bills that ARE moving forward!

Campus carry got shafted again, but bills to make trapping more of a hassle, set us up to lose our bear hunts, recognize "Gay Marriage", tax the hell out of mining, universal background checks/gun registration, etc are moving right along.
Welcome to East-East Kalifornia!

#1 reason I started looking for a job in January and left when I received my #1 offer.

Newmont AND Barrick are doing 25% layoffs.   Mines can't afford to pay taxes AND employees AND shareholders.  The State will get their tax money from the mines then have to pay it out in unemployment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Edited to ask: Does anybody know if it's a criminal offense if you're driving while under the influence of alcohol that you ingested from medication? Serious question. And yes, I know I should know this. I just always operated under the driving = no alcohol (irregardless of source) rule.

Yes it is.  Over .08 BAC is over .08 BAC.  Doesn't matter if you got it from your medication, drinking it, inhaling it, or through rectal absorption.

NRS 484C.020  “Concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath” defined. [Effective until the date of the repeal of the federal law requiring each state to make it unlawful for a person to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or greater as a condition to receiving federal funding for the construction of highways in this State.]  “Concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath” means 0.08 gram or more of alcohol per 100 milliliters of the blood of a person or per 210 liters of his or her breath.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.  Over .08 BAC is over .08 BAC.  Doesn't matter if you got it from your medication, drinking it, inhaling it, or through rectal absorption.

NRS 484C.020  “Concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath” defined. [Effective until the date of the repeal of the federal law requiring each state to make it unlawful for a person to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or greater as a condition to receiving federal funding for the construction of highways in this State.]  “Concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath” means 0.08 gram or more of alcohol per 100 milliliters of the blood of a person or per 210 liters of his or her breath.

Not a Motor Vehicle Statute... but a person can be Drunk off Their Ass and carry a loaded firearm in their own home in Nevada...

NRS 202.257

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd have to look at what the limit is for minors that is about the only time you'd actually be anywhere near the limit from any normal dose of any medicine I'm aware of.

When i was 16 or 17 in new york i blew a 0.01 on a field alcolizer because of cough syrup the officer believed my story but it may have been enough for a dui as a minor if he didn't buy it.

now .07 when ur 20 is certainly enough for a trip in the back seat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Just learned that SB221 and SB227 are up for discussion RIGHT NOW!

According to senator Settelmeyer the situation is NOT GOOD!

We need to FLOOD the legislature, RIGHT NOW!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Emailed. Again. Fu**ers....

A thank you note to Jones and a 'stop doing what you're doing' to Kieckhefer. He's actually my Senator which makes this even more shameful...

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Be sure to point out that YOU are one of his constituents!

They pay less attention to those who cannot vote against them in the next election.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Dear State Senators,

I saw you ammended this bill and it's no longer about the mentally ill.  You've removed the CCW exemption so while I'm able to skip a background check on a BRAND NEW firearm from a gun dealer you're now going to require I have a background check AND go through a gun dealer.  You're encouraging buying new firearms over used firearms.  This hurts people such as myself who have sold guns to fellow CCW holders to pay for bills such as rent, power, food and car insurance.  When I was in college I sold a gun for 50% of what I had paid 2 months after I bought it because circumstances changed and I needed food and rent.  Now you're going to add $100+ to the transfer of this same firearm to another CCW holder??? Why?  This has nothing to do with public safety.  Criminals won't submit to a background check. You're not allowing me to go to Parr Boulevard and transfer this firearm in the safety of the Sheriff's office.  If this bill was only about keeping guns away from those individuals who are considered mentally ill such Seung-Hui Cho, who passed a background check, James Eagan Holmes, who has attempted to enter a diminished capacity (similar to mentally ill) plea unsuccessfully, and Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris (I'll forgive you for not realizing who these two are, it's been a while and nothing significant recently) who also purchased firearms with a background check, I would support it.  These individuals showed the capacity to kill before they killed.  As a CCW holder I submit myself to being FINGERPRINTED which isn't required for a background check and it takes four months to get an answer on my background check.  Yes I'd like to see the mentally ill kept away from firearms.  NO I don't understand why I'm being personally attacked for being a responsible gun owner.  We don't require a background check on people who buy big huge trucks capable of towing 20,000 pounds of fertilizer (aka nitroglycerine component) with their 1994 F-350 truck into a public place.  Waco just saw what could happen with fertilizer explosions.  Why not?  That's more dangerous and creates a greater risk for public safety.   Please kill this bill as soon as possible and draft a much better one.  Please feel free to contact me should you want to discuss this further.  I'll be in Carson City and would take the time out of my day should you want to meet one person you represent who's willing to have their voice be heard.

Sent the email to all of them at once.  If this P.O.S. passes I guess I'll be buying more new guns for the background exemption.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be sure to point out that YOU are one of his constituents!

They pay less attention to those who cannot vote against them in the next election.

Very true! Here's what I wrote.....

Dear Senator Kieckhefer,

Unfortunately it has come to my attention that you are in favor of suspending the rights and civil liberties of Nevadans without due process. What I am referring to is you bill SB277. This is very disappointing to say the least.

Not alone is it bad enough to be confronted with a large number of people who would like nothing better than to restructure Nevada into a California-East, but to find my own Senator amongst them is shameful.
This always becomes very obvious especially in misguided anti-gun legislation.

Further more, SB221 by Senator Jones has a provision in it requiring a private party background check. This is unacceptable to me as law abiding and freedom loving Nevadan.

I strongly urge you to reconsider your SB277 and to be in clear and outspoken opposition in voice and vote to SB221.

Thank you very much for your reconsideration.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Good one!
To the point, short enough to be read and blunt enough to be understood.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good one!

I'm hoping....

And thank you Richard for keeping this board/me in the loop and informed about the mischief our overlords are up to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good one!

I'm hoping....

And thank you Richard for keeping this board/me in the loop and informed about the mischief our overlords are up to.

Richard is THE reason I'm doing this. I he is willing to put in 90% effort I should do my 10 so he feels like its not for nothing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive about had enough of these damn legislators.

Dear Mining Supporter,

Today, six republican state senators in Nevada proposed to more than double taxes on Nevada's mining industry. If passed, this would be the third largest tax increase in Nevada's history.  This proposal puts more than 25,000 jobs in Nevada mining at risk, halts economic growth and cripples an industry beyond repair.  Instead of focusing on reforming bad public policy, they have proposed a package to obliterate a vital industry and hurt some of Nevada's most vulnerable rural communities.

The Roberson Tax plan must be stopped today and we need your help to stop it.  Of the gold-producing states, Nevada's mining taxes are already the highest.  We need to keep Nevada's mining industry competitive with global competitors like China, Peru and others.  

Contact these senators today and tell them to back off their extreme, job-destroying agenda:

Senator Michael Roberson (Las Vegas) - [email protected]

Senator Ben Kieckhefer (Reno) - [email protected]

Senator Joe Hardy (Boulder City) - [email protected]

Senator Greg Brower (Reno) - [email protected]

Senator Scott Hammond (Las Vegas) - [email protected]

Senator Mark Hutchison (Las Vegas) - [email protected]

Thank you,

Unsubscribe

I interviewed with Barrick Monday so I've got my fingers crossed but these CSers better not fuck me put of a job. This is personal, and I voted for Brower.  Bastard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Arghhh!

I need the bill number to reference in my email

What is the bill number?.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.rgj.com/viewart/20130424/NEWS11/304240090/Senate-Republicans-announce-mining-tax-plan

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/24/six-republicans-propose-doubling-nevadas-mining-ta/

That's all I can really find?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I can work from that.

Related to Senate Joint Resolution 15 (SJR15).

What I sent!

------------------------------------

Senator XXXXXXXX,

NO!

No to SJR15 and the recently announced plan to double mining taxes.

I am not a mine owner or worker, but I am a Nevadan.
I knew mining was a primary industry long before I arrived here and support mining as it is a nationally critical industry.
It is one of the few well paying industries in Nevada that is not dependent on Las Vegas or other major metropolitan areas.

I am also a Republican Central Committee member of many years, attending all of our county and nearly every state convention since 1996.
I have sat on the state platform committee several times and and have always stayed  to vote on the platform.

It appears you may have missed the portion of our party platform regarding taxes?
We do not support new taxes or fees under that or any other name.

An industry specific tax is an egregious betrayal of our republican principles and platform, which also expresses our support for the mining industry.

My own company indirectly depends on a healthy Nevada mining industry.
If the mines start laying off workers or closing, I will lose too much of my customer base.

There will be NO tax base increase if you encourage mines to close or reduce staff, unemployment benefits will absorb much of the projected revenue increase.

Coupled with the proposed "margin tax" my plans for company expansion are now on hold, it makes little sense to expand my business now if I will be leaving the state soon.
So I am delaying equipment purchases, the lease of more space, and hiring.

These are the consequences of adopting an anti-business attitude in Nevada.
If the mining industry can be singled out for additional taxation I have no reason to think my own "Politically Incorrect" industry will not be next.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Just emailed Debbie Smith, the chairwoman of the finance committee this:

Dear Senator Smith,

As the chairwoman of the Senate Finance Committee you are in the great position to have a real impact on Senate Bills.

Therefor I'd like to take this opportunity to strongly urge you to stop SB221, SB277 and SJR15.

SB221 clearly has a detrimental financial aspect to it. Both for the law abiding citizen and for the State of Nevada.

Here's a little excerpt from a different email to your Senate colleagues as well as yourself a few days ago:

“The repository/NICS is not to charge a fee for private transfers, but I saw no prohibition on dealer fee's.
If the "40% of transfers are private sales" figure is AT ALL correct, then the NICS will require a 40% expansion in staff and equipment.
But they will not be allowed to collect additional fee's to off-set those new cost, so who is funding this?
Are we to expect ANOTHER fee increase for sales on new firearms to make up the difference?
Perhaps 40% = $35.00 per background check? More?
All this despite the legislatures earlier promise that the NICS fee would go back to $15.00 once the new computer equipment was amortized?”

SB277 has potentially similar issues as it creates a humongous amount of administrative work and paperwork.

Who will pay for all of this?

Increased taxes again? New taxes?

Finally, SJR15 if passed, would be the third largest tax increase in Nevada's history. Is it really appropriate, in the time of the 'jobless recovery' (please refer to the labor participation rate as published by the BLS here: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000) to jeopardize the employment of tens of thousands of our own Nevada citizens? What impact will that have on the finances of our state? Nothing good can possibly come out of this.

Instead we should focus on how to make our mining industry as well as all other local industries more globally competitive.

In closing I'd like to ask you again to put Nevadans, their economic and civil liberties as well as our freedoms before politics and strongly oppose in voice and vote SB221, SB277 and SJR15.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

lrdrvr
Reno, NV

Her contact information can be found here: http://openstates.org/nv/legislators/NVL000102/debbie-smith/
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I can work from that.

Related to Senate Joint Resolution 15 (SJR15).

What I sent!

------------------------------------

Senator XXXXXXXX,

NO!

No to SJR15 and the recently announced plan to double mining taxes.

I am not a mine owner or worker, but I am a Nevadan.
I knew mining was a primary industry long before I arrived here and support mining as it is a nationally critical industry.
It is one of the few well paying industries in Nevada that is not dependent on Las Vegas or other major metropolitan areas.

I am also a Republican Central Committee member of many years, attending all of our county and nearly every state convention since 1996.
I have sat on the state platform committee several times and and have always stayed  to vote on the platform.

It appears you may have missed the portion of our party platform regarding taxes?
We do not support new taxes or fees under that or any other name.

An industry specific tax is an egregious betrayal of our republican principles and platform, which also expresses our support for the mining industry.

My own company indirectly depends on a healthy Nevada mining industry.
If the mines start laying off workers or closing, I will lose too much of my customer base.

There will be NO tax base increase if you encourage mines to close or reduce staff, unemployment benefits will absorb much of the projected revenue increase.

Coupled with the proposed "margin tax" my plans for company expansion are now on hold, it makes little sense to expand my business now if I will be leaving the state soon.
So I am delaying equipment purchases, the lease of more space, and hiring.

These are the consequences of adopting an anti-business attitude in Nevada.
If the mining industry can be singled out for additional taxation I have no reason to think my own "Politically Incorrect" industry will not be next.

Excellent! Thank you Richard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Long list up bill status updates courtesy of Janine Hansen.
Some of these are a long way from normal ARFCOM fare, but might be of interest to some of us, particularly the parents.
No doubt some of these will be a surprise as the "News" will never have mentioned them in an effort to prevent opposition.
---------------------------------------
Nevada Legislative UPDATE!
The Legislature ends on June 3, 2013

Your participation through Emails and Phone Calls has been critical to all we have been able to accomplish.  We still have much to do. Your support through prayers and contributions has been greatly appreciated!

April 23 was the deadline for almost all bills to pass the house of origin—the Senate or Assembly now they go to the other house. Bills that cost money are exempt from the deadlines and those that passed the first committee have gone to Senate Finance or Assembly Ways and Means Committees.
Key: bills with ! we support and * we oppose. This is a partial listing of the bills we are following.

These bills are still ALIVE:

*SJR8: Annual Sessions of the Legislature. Instead of a 120 day session every other year, this bill adds 45 additional days and breaks the session into a 120 day session in the odd numbered years and a 45 day session in the even numbered years. In addition, it allows the Legislature to meet any where in the state which is now prohibited in the constitution. That will entail considerable costs for facilities and staff as there is no place which can accommodate the Legislature at this time. In addition, it takes away the limitations on legislative pay and instead of being paid during the session the Legislators will be paid at regular intervals (every month) and Legislative pay will only be limited by what the Legislators determine….not by the Constitution. Expect a big pay raise for Legislators.  Vote 11-10, all Republicans voted against.

*SJR13 Repeals Marriage between a man and a woman. This proposed Constitutional Amendment puts same gender marriage into the Constitution. This is a very radical step which no other state has done. It forces recognition of all “marriages”. It jeopardizes our religious liberties. Businesses which refuse to take photo’s or make a cake, etc. for same sex marriages will be sued which has happened in other states. The only protection in the bill is specifically to exempt clergy or religious organizations from solemnizing same sex marriage.
    Catholic Bishop Thomas John Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois has explained that because of the same sex-marriage issue in Illinois, Catholic Charities has already been forced out of the foster care and adoption services. Knights of Columbus could be obligated to make their halls available for same-sex “weddings”, Catholic grade schools could be forced to hire teachers who are legally “married” to someone of the same sex, and even the Bishop himself would not be protected if someone in a same-sex marriage applied for work in his ministry.  SJR13 will be a wholesale loss of religious liberties!

*SCR1 Study on implementing a new TAX on Services like the plumber, etc. Because it is a study, it does not have to meet the deadline, so it is still alive in Senate Legislative Operations and Elections Committee.

*AB46 Adds a new sales TAX in Washoe County of ¼ of 1 percent of the gross receipts of retailers, to deposit in the school districts fund for capital projects (buildings). I believe they are imposing this on retailers because without a vote of the people they can’t change the regular sales tax, but you will pay it just the same. It also imposes a new property tax at the rate of 5 cents on each $100 of assessed valuation.  This new property tax is exempt from the existing limit of $3.64 per $100. Why have a limit if you are going to pass new taxes and exempt them from the limit? This new process of increasing taxes will soon be used in all counties if this is successful. This has been re-referred to Asm. Ways & Means.

*AB163 is a $20,000,000 appropriation to Title I schools (provides programs to help the disadvantaged) in Nevada, which are not currently providing early childhood education programs funded by the Federal Government. A school district is to prioritize schools which have the highest percentage of children eligible for free lunches. The programs are to be offered free of charge to children who are eligible. Is this free
babysitting for “disadvantaged” families?  We probably wouldn’t mind so much if they actually help children succeed, but there’s no evidence that they do. The premier federal government pre-school program, Head Start, has been a colossal failure and a money pit over 45 years at $166 billion. We shouldn’t expect any better from government programs in Nevada. Now to Assembly Ways & Means.

!AB227: Nevada Land Implementation Study is based on the recent law that passed in Utah.  Sixteen other states currently have bills pending in their Legislatures. It will conduct a study during the 2013-2014 Interim to address the transfer of public lands in Nevada from the Federal Government to the State of Nevada, in contemplation of Congress turning over the management and control of these public lands to the State. It is time to recover our state sovereignty and assert control over our own state! Passed Assembly 23 to 18.

*AB230 Explicit Planned Parenthood Sex Education, which takes away parents and local communities rights to participate. Passed the Assembly 26 to 15. All Republicans voted NO. Now to the Senate.

*AB386 Establishes a pilot program in Washoe and Clark Counties for mental health screenings and assessments for pupils enrolled in selected secondary schools.  This is the precursor to programs in all public schools and counties. This bill will lead to recommendations for treatment and possibly psychotropic drugs. This is particularly scary when one considers the possibilities under ObamaCare.
  The New Freedom Commission on Mental Health by President George W. Bush recommended "routine and comprehensive" mental health screening and testing for every child in America, including preschoolers. It proposed utilizing electronic medical records for mental health data which would be integrated with electronic health records (now in ObamaCare).   A Health Screening program called TeenScreen has been used in 36 states.  It flags up to one-third of students who they say show some sign of mental health problems including risk of suicide, anxiety disorders, depression, and drug and alcohol disorders.

*AB440: Originally authorized registering to vote on Election Day. That portion of the bill has been amended out.  It now allows people to register to vote until the Friday before the election. Passed the Assembly 25 to 16 with all Republicans voting No plus one Democrat. Now to the Senate.

*SB63 is an election bill by the Secretary of State which is supposed to provide for photo ID’s for voting. HOWEVER, Section 8 sub 10 says that if there is no picture in the election data base from the DMV, the voter may NOT be challenged and MUST be allow to vote a full ballot even if 1) they refuse to provide a drivers license or identification card number 2) does not have a drivers license or ID card 3) they refuse to comply with the request to get a photo at the polling place 4) if the clerk believes that the person applying to vote is not the same person In the photo contained in the election board register or roster for early voting. If a person goes to vote and their picture does not match the picture on file from the DMV, they can still vote a full ballot if they merely sign an affidavit that says they are who they say they are!  The Carson City Clerk told me that this would make our elections the most corrupt system in the world. His testimony indicated that a person could go and vote in every precinct claiming to be anybody on the voter roles and they would be allowed to vote in his county in 48 precincts.  Then the person could simply get on the plane and leave the state. Their ballots would be counted as legitimate.

!SB76:  This simplifies the Concealed Carry law by including both revolvers and semi-automatics within the term handguns. This covers all the handguns a person owns or later obtains without distinguishing between types of handguns. The bill still requires CCW permit holders to demonstrate competence with handguns. Sponsor Senator Settelmeyer. Passed Senate 21-0. Now to Assembly.

!SB163 Requires schools to teach civics, “The study of the rights and duties of citizenship.” Passed Senate 21-0.

*SB182 Lowers Mandatory Age of School Attendance Down from 7 to 5 Years Old & requires all schools to establish an All-Day Kindergarten class. Very expensive with costs between $165-$200 million. Passed Sen. Education Sent to Sen. Finance.

!SB192 Nevada’s Preservation of Religious Freedom Act. This Act prohibits governmental entities from substantially burdening the exercise of religion. Religious Freedom is one of our most precious liberties. Our heritage as a nation grew out of people seeking religious liberty and our founders recognized this in the First Amendment of our U.S. Constitution and in Nevada’s Constitution, Article 1 Section 4 as Liberty of Conscience.  As we see all over the world and here in the United States, it is almost always governments that threaten religious freedom. Passed Senate 14-7 with all Republicans and 4 Democrats voting for it.

*SB221 This bill requires a background check through a licensed dealer for any firearm you want to sell with some exceptions for family and if you have a CCW. Dealers are required to keep on file any transfer of a firearm. This creates defacto gun registration. There is no limit in the bill on what a dealer can charge for transferring the firearm. In California the dealers charge between $75 and $125 to transfer a firearm. It also contains mental health components. Sponsor Senator Jones. Now in Senate Finance.

!SB226 Uniformity in Nevada’s Gun Laws. Nevada’s gun laws should be uniform. It provides for a notation on your driver’s license that you have a CCW so they are all uniform. You can also get an additional ID without that notation for other uses if desired. Sponsor Settelmeyer. Amended and sent to Senate Finance.

*SB243 DNA upon arrest for felony. In America we believe that people are innocent until proven guilty. DNA should not be taken when people are arrested as most are never convicted, but only when they are found guilty and convicted. When DNA is put in the FBI CODIS database it is nearly impossible to remove it when people are innocent. The process to remove your DNA if innocent could take up to 6 years. Passed Sen. 21-0.

*SB277. Existing law requires that before a person loses their right to keep and bear arms that they must be adjudicated mentally ill by a court or committed to a mental facility. This bill lowers that standard and takes away due process. Sponsor Senator Kieckhefer. Now in Senate Finance.

!SB314 Parents have a fundamental right to direct the upbringing, care and education of their children and government should respect and acknowledge that. Passed Senate 21-0. Now to Assembly.

*SB377 raises the gas tax from 17.65 cents a gallon by 2 cents every year for 10 years until it is 37.65 cents a gallon. This is outrageous! In this economy people are struggling just to pay for gas now. This is supposed to be used for roads but in testimony before the Senate Finance Committee, it was stated that $145 million of the current gas tax money was taken and put in the general fund for full-day kindergarten and education. The Nevada Constitution requires a 2/3rds vote for any tax or fee increase.Passed without recommendation out of Senate Revenue and now goes to Senate Finance.

*SB388 Repeals law against Solicitation of a minor for Sodomy. This law repeals all references in the law to the “infamous crime against nature” and removes the crime of soliciting a minor for sodomy.  Currently, young people are protected under this law if they are 18 or younger. This combines this law under the luring statute and lowers the age to 16 and changes the references to homosexuality and replaces it with a vague term called “sexual activity”. All sponsors of this bill are openly homosexual but one. Passed Senate 11-10 all Republicans voting No. Your children are losing protections in this state where sodomy is no longer a crime.

!SB445 This is Governor Sandoval’s Educational Choice Scholarship bill.  It allows business to receive a tax credit on the modified business tax if they donate to a scholarship organization.  The organization would be charged with providing scholarships to children in private schools and accredited home school programs.(The homeschoolers want to be amended out of this bill). The scholarships would be provided to children who live in a household whose income is no greater than 300% above the federal poverty guidelines, which for a family of four would be $70,650. This is similar to what has been used very successfully in Florida and Washington D.C. School Choice is the most important educational reform. It improves student graduation rates, academic performance, and save tax dollars.

*SB503 REAL ID was amended out of the bill by the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously and as it passed we do not oppose it. REAL ID would require Nevada’s drivers’ licenses to be “federally qualified”. REAL ID is essentially a defacto National ID Card which is antagonistic to American liberty. Gun Owners of America called REAL ID an anti-gun monstrosity. Only 13 states are in compliance with REAL ID.

*IP1 Teachers Union Margin Tax. No vote taken by Legislature so it will be on the ballot in 2014.

THANK YOU! Let me say again that our work at the Legislature, without the participation of our “citizen lobbyists”, would not be nearly as effective!

These bills are DEAD.
They either missed the April 17th deadline to be out of committee or the April 23rd deadline to be passed by the house of origin…Senate or Assembly.

*AB105 gave Federal Marshals the power to arrest without a warrant. We should not be giving more police power to the Federal Government in violation of the Separation of Powers and the Tenth Amendment. Federal Marshals should go through the County Sheriff if they want to make an arrest or execute a search warrant.

!AB143 Campus Carry for individuals who have a CCW permit. This would protect our children and young people. Although there were enough votes in the Assembly Judiciary to pass the bill, Chair Frierson refused to take a vote. Assemblyman Fiore was the sponsor.

*AB234 Restrictive gun bill that REQUIRED a background check for private transfers unless the person held a CCW permit. It imposed a sales TAX on firearms or ammunition sold in this state. Each consumer would pay $25 for each firearm and 2 cents for each round of ammunition purchased. The money was to be used for Treatment of Persons with Mental Illness and for Victims of Crime.

!AB289 Prohibited Electric Utilities from Requiring Installation of Smart Meters. It never received a hearing.

!AB330 Required labeling of Genetically Engineered Foods. This bill was heard but never received a vote.  

!SJR3 Claims Sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. Returns balance to our government by returning power to our State Legislature as originally designed by our U.S. Constitution.

!SJR7 Proposes to amend the Nevada Constitution to preserve the right to hunt, fish and trap in this State.

!SB137 Constitutional Carry Law like Vermont and Alaska, allowed law abiding citizens to carry a firearm without a CCW permit.  Sponsor Senator Gustavson.

SB223 Campus Carry Law to allow CCW permit holders to carry on a College Campus and schools.  Sponsor Senator Hardy.

!SB378 Nevada Liberty Preservation Act: Protects Nevadans from the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Never received a hearing from Senator Segerblom in Judiciary.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:snip

Thanks for informing Richard, these people are out of their minds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#24]
(sigh) I guess I need to start looking at moving out of this state. Reading that list of pending bills is like a kick in the balls. This single session has steered us more towards being East California than any other I've seen. This must be similar to what the good people of Colorado felt recently. Our rugged, liberty leaning state is being mutated by coastal transplants who have no concept of freedom.

This sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top