Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
I just talked to my father-in-law who owns a convenience store. He said that he called to order some gas from his wholesaler and he was told it went up 11 cents last night and will go up another 20-25 cents tonight or tomorrow and Friday it will probably go up 35 more cents!  

BOHICA!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad I drive a fourbanger.j

My trip to the outdoor range will cost $12 at $3/gal. Cheaper to go indoor and pay $10/hour.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just talked to a wholesale distributer that I know. He said $3/gal at most thru Labor Day, then a drop. FWIW
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I don't have my 72 K5 Blazer as a daily driver now. It got 6mpg and had a bottomless tank.

My 4cyl 4Runner only gets 17, and I've been thinking of buying a Dual Sport/Enduro type motorcycle to offset some of my running around. I wonder if the po-po would have a problem with me riding down 985 with an AR10 across my back?!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder if the po-po would have a problem with me riding down 985 with an AR10 across my back?!

HAHA! I'd pay to see it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone see that pic of the guy riding down downtown 75/85 with an AK on his back? Happened sometime last summer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a gun rack on my dirtbike. No problems. My buddy would put his pistol box on the back of his roadbike. As long as the guns are unloaded. It's Ok.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Word is $3/gal for regular unleaded before the holiday weekend is over - a couple pipelines down that funnel liquid dinosaur into Atlanta.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Storing gasoline indoors is always dangerous.
To lessen the chance of it expanding and venting,let it warm up and vent as much as possible before you close the vent and place it in a cooler place.As long as the vent seals well,it shouldn't pop the vent again.
As for long term storage,no it doesn't keep well at all anymore.
I remember using gas from cars headed for the scrap yard to run the junk truck that was two or more years old in the past,but I wouldn't bet on the newer stuff lasting six months now.
So if you are going to store it,a stabilizer would probably be a good idea,or rotate it every few months.
Since water may build up from condensation,a funnel with a cloth in the bottom may be a good idea if you are going to use it in an automobile.I've been told a real chamios works good for this,but I have had good luck with a regular shop rag,since they don't seem to want to absorb water worth a flip unless it has antifreeze in it!
Otherwise,make sure you leave the last pint or so in the container to look for signs of water before you dump it in the tank,or save that for the lawn mower.

I haven't been out  this morning to see how much gas went up yet,but last night when I went out the station I went by was completely full at 9:00 PM.So I guess everyone else was on the ball.Too bad I didn't have enough cash to fill mine up,but 38 gallons was more than I could afford at $2.49/9!
I'll be paying for sure later though,maybe it's time to start walking again!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How long will gas store?  Do I need to put a preservative in it?

There's good gas storage info available in the Survival thread under the General Forum.
Lots of good  all-around information there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Just filled the 125 gal diesel tank in the back of my P/U.

I'll be OK for a few days....

TD
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
So I went to the Post Office and the low ball stations went up 20cents to $2.69/9 and $2.70/9!
The one I went by last night that was full was up to $2.79/9.I guess they may have waited until this AM to raise their price.

I guess I'll have to pull the motorcycle out of storage and get it roadworthy again,but for what that will cost,I can buy a lot of gas for the truck!
I would like to have the old Triumph rideable again though...................
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The stations around here are anywhere between $2.69 and $3.05.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#17]
On Sunday night I saw this comming and went out and topped off and purchased 3 5gallon containers and filled them up. If I don't drive my 94' Chevy Truck much it should get by for about 3 weeks.

Oh yeah, it was 2.38 a gallon then. It is already up to 2.49 at that same station as of yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#18]
have a relative that is somewhat liberal and works with other liberal types in downtown atlanta. the cnn and cox folks are all text message, email all their friends saying there wont be any gas available in atlanta by the weekend. general panic has taken place in some areas. stations allowing only 10 gals per fill up and rumors of more than a few places out of gas completely.

me.. im glad i kept my 45 to 50 mpg crx hf....

i also believe in pain. pain gets results. lots of things are phugued up. time to take a look at a lot of things like our dependence on foreign oil, the brainless embargo on building new refineries, on drilling in anwar, on drilling off florida, on building nuke plants..

based on the current response to the illegal alien probs though i wonder if the powers that be will pointedly ignore this wake-up call too......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Several stations in Athens are dry now, after long lines. Gas up to 3.25 at at least one station, up everywhere if you can find it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
http://atlantagasprices.com/

2.44 - 2.89  right now...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
$3.20 @ 4:30

I bet we see $5 tomorrow a.m. after the supplies start running out.

Glad I'm not driving to work on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Just saw on channel 5 some stations in Atlanta were at $5.57 a gallon. Price gouging bastards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#23]
It's not price gouging.  Let's look at an example of supply and demand, shall we?

Gas Station X has a 20,000 tank, and for simplicity's sake only sells regular unleaded.  On Monday, he was selling that gas at $2.69/gal, and his tank was full.

J. Random Idiot in Atlanta starts a rumor on Wednesday that all the stations will be closing at 4pm that day, and will remain closed until Friday.  Here comes the new gas crisis, everyone in the Toyota Mallrunner, WE HAVE TO FILL UP NOW!!!

At first, the rush starts out small.  5,000 gallons are gone.  Around 3pm, all the sheeple take off from work early so they too can fill up.  Uhoh, another 5,000 gallons gone.  Gas Station X's manager calls up the distributor - yes, we can get you a tanker out there, but with all these morons running around a draining other stations dry, you are a bit low on the list - we'll see you Friday morning, bright and early.  Oh, and the price is $2.85/gal.  The manager instructs one of his slack-jawed cashiers to go change the price - $2.89.  Hopefully this will slow the demand until the supply can catch up - if the station runs out of gas, no one will stop at it, and if no one stops at it, no one goes into the convenience store to buy anything - and that's where the real profit is.  The gas brings in maybe $.02 a gallon - MAYBE.

But still, the customers come in droves.  Gas Station X starts raising it's prices after each 1,000 gallons of it's remaining 10,000 gallons.  Finally, Gas Station X is down to it's last 1,000 gallons.  The manager is at his wit's end.  No gas means no reason for customers to stop and shop.  He does the last thing he can do - $5/gal for gas.  He's still got gas, but now he doesn't have NEAR as many customers, and won't unless his nearby competitors match price - and if they too are low on gas, they will.

On Friday, Gas Station X sees the tanker pull up, and as it leaves, our slack-jawed hero drops the price back under $3/gal.

Price gouging would be if the price stayed outrageously high after that tanker left.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I meant to fill up last night but forgot.  it's up to 2.80-2.90 a gallon for regular.  It sucks that I have to use Premium.

trust me, you don't have to run premium in your car even though the owners manual recommends it. the computer/ecu detects the change in octane in pretty much every car past 1990 and adjusts itself accordingly.  i heard this on the clark howard show(am 750) after he consulted both chrysler and porsche on the matter.

luckily i drive a civic. my manual says run 87, but the service guys at the dealership told me it's actually designed to run on 85 octane, which we don't even have in the states. go figure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
trust me, you don't have to run premium in your car even though the owners manual recommends it. the computer/ecu detects the change in octane in pretty much every car past 1990 and adjusts itself accordingly.  i heard this on the clark howard show(am 750) after he consulted both chrysler and porsche on the matter.

Higher compression motors (including most forced induction applications) require higher octane or risk pinging.  Sure, knock sensors can help a little bit, but not when you are WOT.  And last time I checked, an engine overhaul with a set of new pistons is a lot more expensive than 20 cents a gallon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the heads up GACop. I went out last night and topped off my tank at 2.66/gal, and filled up to 5 gal jugs.

Today, I went by the same station at 4pm and it was 2.99/gal. I passed it again at 5:30 and it was 3.20/gal for 87oct.

On local station had cops directing traffic in and out, and there was 20 cas lined up down the road waiting to get in. Funny thing is, I'd bet a lot of folks had enough gas in the car to get them through next week.

It's gonna be an intersting holiday weekend.

(of course, it's not all bad. My house is dry... and I still have my family)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Higher compression motors (including most forced induction applications) require higher octane or risk pinging.  Sure, knock sensors can help a little bit, but not when you are WOT.  And last time I checked, an engine overhaul with a set of new pistons is a lot more expensive than 20 cents a gallon.

you're right, the exception would be forced induction, or nitrous system engines. in their case, the higher octane does reduce the risk of detonation.

let me put a disclaimer on my previous statement. the comment applied to stock, naturally aspirated vehicles, even large bore engines.

even with that said, why would porshe as one of the leading manufacturers of forced induction vehicles make such a statement? maybe some specifics got lost due to the fact that my information was from a third party, but i'd like to think porsche would cover their ass on that one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm working from home today and probably tomorrow.  If we all just cut back our use a bit things will ease up.

Right on target Mr. Mod!

My company issues me a fuel card, but in no way was I going to have my employer pay the price because of the hysteria. I too will be working from home for the next couple of days to help with what I can.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I know the_reject will probably disagree with me and point out where I'm wrong in my thinking.

No, I'll just refer you to one of my many previous posts.  

But before he does, let me share a story I just heard - guy is pumping his gas at $3.40 a gallon.  Half-way through his fill-up the pump goes dead.  The owner killed all the pumps to RAISE the price mid-stream!
And just how else are they supposed to raise the prices to try and kill the demand?  Wait for every panic stricken dumbass to fill up and leave?  If they did that, they'd be out of gas. And I'd bet that when the pumps were killed for the price raise, the transaction ended there - Jim Fucknuts would have to whip out the plastic and swipe it again to get gas at the new price.  No harm, no foul...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#33]
From some of the opinions I have read, when electricity, natural gas, etc. become available again in the gulf, the demand will out weigh supply, so these companies should jack up the price to compensate for the discrepancy?

As we all witnessed yesterday, demand will not be reduced simply by raising prices, especially over the short term.

This mess just opens the door to what is sure to come....regulation!

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
the_reject is spot on with his comments regarding, well, everything.  

In particular, his point about people buying gas in a panic are dead right.  My brother-in-law begged me to buy some 6-gallon gas cans, even though I told him I was going to wait to buy a few more of my own.  So, I hit a Wal-mart, then two different auto stores and a Home Depot.  No cans.

People were blocking traffic last night trying to get their damn cars into already over filled gas stations.  The car jams were unbelieveable.  And the prices just went higher.

I'm working from home today and probably tomorrow.  If we all just cut back our use a bit things will ease up.

Oh yeah, I did pass some gas stations, mostly Quick Trips, that were still advertising a $2.89 price when other stores in the area were way over $3.50.  The QTs were out of gas but said if they had any left they'd be selling at $2.89.  They WILL get my future business.  The damn BP stations I saw were some of the worst.  I'll never buy from any station I saw jacking the prices.  I know the_reject will probably disagree with me and point out where I'm wrong in my thinking.  But before he does, let me share a story I just heard - guy is pumping his gas at $3.40 a gallon.  Half-way through his fill-up the pump goes dead.  The owner killed all the pumps to RAISE the price mid-stream!  That's just wrong, IMHO.

The BPs are franchise stores, individually owned.  I believe the QTs are all company owned.  I think that was the difference.  I have long only used Amoco (now BP), but I may have to consider switching to QT since they seem to be about the only ones who showed any class yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the_reject is spot on with his comments regarding, well, everything.  

In particular, his point about people buying gas in a panic are dead right.  My brother-in-law begged me to buy some 6-gallon gas cans, even though I told him I was going to wait to buy a few more of my own.  So, I hit a Wal-mart, then two different auto stores and a Home Depot.  No cans.

People were blocking traffic last night trying to get their damn cars into already over filled gas stations.  The car jams were unbelieveable.  And the prices just went higher.

Oh yeah, I did pass some gas stations, mostly Quick Trips, that were still advertising a $2.89 price when other stores in the area were way over $3.50.  The QTs were out of gas but said if they had any left they'd be selling at $2.89.  They WILL get my future business.  The damn BP stations I saw were some of the worst.  I'll never buy from any station I saw jacking the prices.  I know the_reject will probably disagree with me and point out where I'm wrong in my thinking.  But before he does, let me share a story I just heard - guy is pumping his gas at $3.40 a gallon.  Half-way through his fill-up the pump goes dead.  The owner killed all the pumps to RAISE the price mid-stream!  That's just wrong, IMHO.

The BPs are franchise stores, individually owned.  I believe the QTs are all company owned.  I think that was the difference.  I have long only used Amoco (now BP), but I may have to consider switching to QT since they seem to be about the only ones who showed any class yesterday.

I did like seeing QT hold back and try to quell qny price jumps, however they're paying for it right now.  All three QT's in Snellville are out of gas, I don't know when they're going to get any more, but I'm sure I'll find out when I go get cigs today.
I know I know I need to quit smoking, now lay off my ass!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Newer cars and trucks with knock sensors can get away with lower grade for a while,but older cars such as my 88 M5 with 10:1 compression and NO knock sensors have to have premium. My 93 chev PU with a lowly 4.3 also pings like a rock garden unless it has midgrade. Clark Howard is dangerous at times
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yep, a new transaction was started.  I can see killing the pumps to change the price, but mid-stream?  I think was the guy started pumping at a certain price he should have been allowed to finish the transaction.  Have the pump shutoff AFTER the transaction is all I'm saying.

And how are they going to stop all the other crazed fools from pumping gas at another pump, politely ask them not to?

Riiiiiight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Newer cars and trucks with knock sensors can get away with lower grade for a while,but older cars such as my 88 M5 with 10:1 compression and NO knock sensors have to have premium. My 93 chev PU with a lowly 4.3 also pings like a rock garden unless it has midgrade. Clark Howard is dangerous at times

yea, that's why i was sure to quote the source of the info. clark, like myself drives a four banger, so one must consider the source.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top