Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 5:35:01 AM EDT
Just got a new AR and looking for an outdoor range near Gwinnett County. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Try these...
http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=GA
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The only outdoor range I'm aware of within easy driving distance is the Dekalb County Range out I 20 East. That can be a bit of a drive if you're at the Northwest end of Gwinnett, but it's the closest I know of.

However, since I left madhouse Atlanta a few years back, there may be something more recent out there, that's closer.  Let me suggest you go over to the "Hometown" section of this site, get on the Georgia section, and ask the people over there, if there's anything closer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The circle K at the Chamblee Road exit!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
We are organizing a group shoot for Mar 11th. Check out the thread and come on out!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Excellent choice!  I was going to say any of the Mexi-bars along Buford Hwy, especially on a saturday night!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent choice!  I was going to say any of the Mexi-bars along Buford Hwy, especially on a saturday night!!!!

I think they tend to shoot in the air at the Wild Bill's banner plane.  AR would be a good choice for that.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a member of Riverbend gun club. Its up 400N about 40 mins from 285. Check out www.RBGC.org. Club offers Rifle range out to 600YDS and many oppurtunities for compention Handgun ,HP rifle and shotguns. Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Riverbend is a place I was looking at. Is it worth the $600 initiation and $200 per year?

Also - Approximately how far is it from I-85/316
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Riverbend is a place I was looking at. Is it worth the $600 initiation and $200 per year?

Also - Approximately how far is it from I-85/316

85/316, you're just about halfway between Charlie Elliot DNR, and Wilson Shoals DNR.  Dekalb County range is nice except it's only open to the public on Fridays, and even then it's not open every Friday.  

Charlie Elliot is open 10 AM to 6 PM, or sundown whichever comes first Monday thru Saturday, and it is out I-20 off of exit 98 (State route 11 Social Circle exit)  about 15 min south on 11 (careful the one town you come through is a monster speedtrap), and CE is on the left.

Wilson Shoals is open 10 AM to 6 PM Monday, Wednesday, Thrusday, Friday, and Saturday, and then 12 PM to 6 PM on Tuesdays then 12 PM to 5PM on Sundays.  Wilson Shoals is up N, take 85 to 985 all the way thru and past Ganesville.  985 turns into a divided highway with stop lights  After you pass into Barrow County, there will be a Citgo on the right and a Brown Wilson shoals DNR sign, turn right.  Go to the T and turn left, and make another immediate right and go accross the tracks.  About 4 miles down the road, the DNR range is on the left.

Days and times are from my memory, but I have not been to a DNR range in almost a year, so you might want to call the DNR to verify.  DNR ranges are free to shoot at but you must abide by the posted rules ro the rangers can and will cite you with a $250 minimum ticket.  Paper Targets only!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Outdoor ranges are hard to find in the Gwinnett area.

Cherokee in Gainsville is the closest.  This is a private club with a $500 initiation fee and you need 2 sponsers but it has a LONG waiting list.  It has a rifle range and action pits but I have been told you cannot shoot a rifle in the action pits.

I am not that familiar with RBGC (only been there once) but IIRC their rules look fairly restrictive.

Your best bet is South River Gun Club (www.southrivergunclub.com) south of Conyers.  It is a business, not a private club, and it only costs $75 to join with no waiting list and no sponsers needed.  Yearly dues are $300.  It is around an hour drive from the Lawrenceville area.  There is a 300 yard rifle range, 100 and 200 have covered benches, to use the 300 bench the 100/200 benches must be unoccupied.  There are at least 8 or 9 action pits where you can shoot pistols or rifles from standing or while moving, 180 degrees, target stands are available.  Action pits, rifle range bench area and roads are all gravelled and well maintained.  There have a training pit and classes are frequently held there, classes are open to the public (non-members).  IPSC, IDPA, SASS (cowboy) and high power matches are held there on the weekends.  The facility is gated and members have the combination so you can shoot anytime.  Much safer than the WMA ranges IMHO.  It is a nice facility, I just wish it was closer.  Unfortunately you won't find anything as nice closer to Gwinnett.

I hope this helps.  Email me if you want more info.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for South River Gun Club.  It is an excellent facility and there's no 1 shot per 6 second rule.  I think River Bend Gun Club is still that way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
River Bend Sounds good, but I was talking to someone who said they don't let you shoot silencers or full auto.  However, they do have 3 gun matches and you don't need to be a member.  For $500 or 600 I should be able to shoot whatever the heck I feel like bringing.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:43:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I doubt that you will like River Bend It has excellent facilities but the rules are too much for most action type shooters.

ther clubs in the area are

South river Conyers -excellent facilities no wait but there are a lot of matches ipsc idpa cowboy so you may not be able to shoot as the facilities get crowded on match days

Pickens County - small but with good facilities full auto friendly 1.5 year waiting list

Cherokee - excellent facilities but 1.5 year waiting list

Little River Gun Club Carrolton Ga I don't know much about them but they do hold IDPA matches
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:09 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for charlie Elliott, I also live in gwinnett, Duluth, its about 60 mi from indian trail & I85. Its a good range,shooting benches 50 yd pistol, 100yd rifle, not crowded during the week, weekends you may need to wait a little. no class 3 allowed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top